Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
Rosen

Reged: 08/01/11
what is stp/std?
      #713497 - 08/01/12 04:25 AM

Please explain to me what they are and how they are used. My friend works for a software company and he told me to

"Learn what is STP and STD and how you write those. It is instead of writing the test plan as we did in excel. The more professional way to do it"

Enlighten me, please.

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Walen

Reged: 05/09/01
Re: what is stp/std? [Re: Rosen]
      #713503 - 08/01/12 05:00 AM

By chance, did you ask your friend what they stood for?

Perhaps use your favorite search engine to look for, say, STP+software+test or STD+Softeware_test - something like that?

You asked a similar question a couple of days ago in another (really old) thread. Your profile says you are a university student.

What has your research led you to learn about this?

--------------------
P. Walen

My Blog: http://rhythmoftesting.blogspot.com/

Rosen

Reged: 08/01/11
Re: what is stp/std? [Re: Walen]
      #713651 - 08/02/12 02:40 PM

Thanks for replying Walen. Ive been researching and came up with software test document and software test plan. what i'm not getting is crystal clear definitions and explanations. I'm new to QA and want to absorb as much and as fast as possible, so i can get my foot in the door at this software company I'm aiming at and start my new career. That is the reason i came to this forum and asked the questions. I need answers. STP, has more documentation. I'm ok with STP. Its STD. I need to be able to talk about these 2 and sound educated. Not that i did it, because i didn't, at least not to the extent of what comes up on google when searching these 2 terms. I did however do these two in a very minor way. It was all manual. I worked off an excel spread and checked off tests I did and added to the spread test along the way.

Grzegorz_Swiec

Reged: 07/14/12
      #713696 - 08/03/12 04:45 AM

You should definatelly put more effort in your searching. Not just waiting for having infos puted on the plate in front of your nose...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-498

STP - Software Test Plan
STD - Software Test Description
STR - Software Test Report

Walen

Re: what is stp/std? [Re: Grzegorz_Swiec]
      #713699 - 08/03/12 04:53 AM

And yet not every organization follows those definitions. Buzzwords (and acronyms) have a nasty habit of changing frequently.

The P in STP can be Plan, Process, Proceedure (all from places I've worked). The D in STD can be Design, Document, Description.

Is there a single standard? No.

And that, perhaps, is why the original post (and followup) was having a hard time finding a "definitive" explanation. Many organizations use different terms - or meanings for the same term.

--------------------
P. Walen

Grzegorz_Swiec

#713708 - 08/03/12 05:41 AM

Quote:

And yet not every organization follows those definitions. Buzzwords (and acronyms) have a nasty habit of changing frequently.

MIL-STD-498 is an old standard used by many military projects. Believe me, if someone is searching for STP and STD in one sentence, then it must be it .

Walen

#713724 - 08/03/12 07:28 AM

... and it is still not universally accepted. I've worked with it, no one else in my shop has. Some simply reject it.

Then again, how do either of us know that the person Eric148 referred to meant that - or something completely different?

--------------------
P. Walen

Grzegorz_Swiec

#713747 - 08/03/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

... and it is still not universally accepted. I've worked with it, no one else in my shop has. Some simply reject it.

Then again, how do either of us know that the person Eric148 referred to meant that - or something completely different?

What does "universally accepted" mean to you if not a "standard"? MIL-STD-498 is a standard, so it was universally accepted by some. Later civilian ISO standard was derived from it.

Then again my Friend, you are free to tell us of any other standard/specification which has STP and STD defined.

FredMan

Reged: 10/29/07
Loc: Lenexa, Kansas
      #713756 - 08/03/12 12:45 PM

Man I hate acronyms!

STP definition

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/STP

STD definition

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/STD

If you use the category filter, you get 8 different categories to suit you needs.

--------------------
Onward thru the fog...

Edited by FredMan (08/03/12 12:50 PM)

Walen

#713769 - 08/04/12 06:36 AM

The discussion of "standard" can be an interesting one. I would be happy to discuss this in its own thread. However, the question was what do those acronyms mean.

It is likely that the intent was indeed from 498. It is also possible that they could be something else. That is why my first response was around asking what they meant.

Too many people are concerned with saving face or not appearing ignorant, when they are in fact, ignorant in a given context. Ignorance is not being stupid. It is simply not knowing.

I encourage everyone, when encountering a term or phrase they are not familiar with, to ask the person using the term what it means. It is entirely possible you know the same concept by a different name.

--------------------
P. Walen

Grzegorz_Swiec

#713775 - 08/04/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

(...)However, the question was what do those acronyms mean.

Dear Walen,
Maybe you are concerned about those acronyms too much?

Let me put it this way.. If the question was: "what is the most professional way of writing test plan?"
Then my answer would be - check STP and STD in MIL-STD-498 standard... cause it is the most proffesional way of puting test plan I've ever seen and did myself.

But because the question already had stp/std acronyms in its topic - my answer was as it was.

BTW Walen, I encourge you to take a quick look at DID's of those documents

Walen

#713837 - 08/06/12 06:29 AM

Eric,

What you are describing is fairly common. Many organizations will use terms and phrases to mean something /to them/. Whether other organizations share the same meaning for those terms is questionable.

What often happens is that someone, somewhere, reads a document or description of something. They accept the bulk of what is in it, and say "this part does not work for our group because of X, Y and Z." So they change a part, or two, or three. Now there are two definitions or models for what a given item, with a common name, looks like - what is contained and covered by it. There is the original, then the modified one to fit an organization's needs.

Later on, someone finds the modified version, makes some changes to fit their organization's needs and there are three versions of the model for the same basic concept.

This continues. How? Why? Because people are people. Ego gets in the way of understanding and applying concepts. Some reject anything that was not developed by Organization X. Others reject anything developed by Organization X, no matter what the benefits may be. Others insist on being "right" by some measure of right they know, and have a hard time sharing with others.

I would still suggest asking the person who told you to learn about stp/std how their organization uses them - what they contain, what they look like.

It is possible that the specifications in MIL-STD-498 can help you. However, if the organization uses a different set defintions, that can be problematic.

--------------------
P. Walen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22791

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums