Downloads

Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
robintyagi

Reged: 02/16/12
Loc: India
Which one is done earlier Smoke or Functional Test
      #701143 - 03/12/12 10:27 AM

Hi as I know that Smoke Testing is done to check that Application's Core Functionality and as well as Critical Functionality are working right as per the specified requirements.I know when we don't have so much time to execute all Test Cases and Client is demanding application to deliver at his side. So we just check application functionality at core level whether it is working properly or not.
So please tell me according to this Scenario, Smoke Testing is done after doing Functional Testing. But Some of my friends told me that Smoke Testing is done first in most of the companies. Please guide me if smoke testing is done before the Functional Testing,then what is the reason behind doing smoke Testing First,why ?

Please share your experience.

Thanks & Regards,
Robin Tyagi

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Re: Which one is done earlier Smoke or Functional Test [Re: robintyagi]
      #701150 - 03/12/12 11:28 AM

Keep in mind Functional Testing is a broad category, so I'll take it to assume you are talking about testing the new functionality.

Usually smoke tests are quick tests that can be performed right after a build is complete to give a quick thumbs up or thumbs down to wheter it gets delievered to QA at all. If something doesn't pass a smoke test, then you don't want to waste time testing it because it'll never be a release candidate nor do you want to waste any time regression testing it.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

Edited by dlai (03/12/12 01:25 PM)

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Which one is done earlier Smoke or Functional Test [Re: robintyagi]
      #701152 - 03/12/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

But Some of my friends told me that Smoke Testing is done first in most of the companies. Please guide me if smoke testing is done before the Functional Testing,then what is the reason behind doing smoke Testing First,why?

Smoke Test
A subset of all defined/planned test cases that cover the main functionality of a component or system, to ascertain that the most crucial functions of a program work, but not bothering with finer details. A daily build and smoke test is among industry best practices. [ISTQB]

http://www.allthingsquality.com/p/testing-terms-glossary.html

Most places where I have worked, a Smoke Test is the first thing executed after handing over a new build to the test team.

If the Smoke Test indicates that the build is badly broken, then it is rejected. Otherwise, further testing then takes place.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

robintyagi

Reged: 02/16/12
Loc: India
Re: Which one is done earlier Smoke or Functional Test [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #701186 - 03/12/12 11:28 PM

Thanks dlai and joe for sharing your experience. Both of you give me a clear view regarding when we do Smoke Testing and why we do it firstly.

Thanks & Regards,
Robin Tyagi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1348

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums