Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Defect Tracking

Pages: 1
shweta26

Reged: 10/05/10
Jira as a test case management Tool
      #644427 - 10/05/10 01:12 AM

Hello all,

I am exploring Jira- free trial so that I can present the same to our stake holders and bring in this tool for our testing process.

I am comfortable with the Defect tracking mechanism of it but could not find a way to use it for Test case management. I've goggled it and came to know that we can use it for Test case management for sure but not able to proceed as I don't know where is the option or what exactly I need to do. Please help me if anybody have tried free trial with TC management.

Thank you...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jmg
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/11/08
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: shweta26]
      #644588 - 10/06/10 03:12 AM

Hi,

I have seen Jira "used" as a Test Management system by creating an entity called Test and just documenting what you do in it. I actually saw this in a project where we integrated Jira into a real test management system after the team decided this was not how they wanted to work.

There are a bunch of QA & Test Management Systems that integrate with Jira. I am biased but you can check out PractiTest that integrates with Jira (although a quick google search will surely show multiple other choices).

We have 2 ways of integrating, but the most simple one is to allow testers to manage their tests in PractiTest and when they run into bugs they are reported in Jira and linked to the runs in order to maintain traceability. This is also the way most systems work.

You can check a Free Demo and a 30-Day Free Trial from our site.

Good luck!

--------------------
-joel
9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
PractiTest QABlog - Testing Blog

CADCAM_Tester

Reged: 10/09/10
Loc: Pune, India
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: jmg]
      #645080 - 10/09/10 01:35 AM

Hi Shweta,

We are using JIRA extensively in our company for Project management activities, apart from defect tracking.

However, we never used it as a tool for "Test Case Management", though we tried to use it.

JIRA is not that user friendly when it comes to managing test cases. Also there is no option like "Test case" while creating new issue, so you may have to create each test case as a "Task".

Dont know how much JIRA is available to you as a free ware.

--------------------
There's no better way to debug an application, than to use it yourself regularly.

Visit my Website

patrick

Reged: 07/06/00
Loc: chicago, IL US
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: CADCAM_Tester]
      #645325 - 10/12/10 12:35 PM

I don't think JIRA adapts to this use easily or by design. JIRA is highly configurable and you could certainly come up with some sort of way to use it for this purpose but I think it would be far from ideal. JIRA does integrate, via plugins, with a few other tools that are more designed for test case management, but I've never tried this personally.

shay19701

Reged: 04/29/10
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: shweta26]
      #649676 - 11/22/10 11:11 AM

Why not using a tool that integrate everything in it, instead of login into 2-3 tools?
We are using informup which gives us the ability to track the full lifecycle including requirements, test cases, bugs , and tickets from our customers.
we are paying for that but they even have a free version for startups, open source projects and more...
here is the link :-)
http://www.informup.com

we are really like this tool:-) very simple but yet powerful and gives us everything we need in one place :-)

Scottas

Reged: 02/12/11
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: shay19701]
      #660278 - 02/12/11 08:50 AM

Hi,

I would like to suggest a tool I have been developing www.testlodge.com Support for JIRA has recently been added enabling automatic bug creation of failed test cases.

TestLodge is a relatively new hosted tool that is designed to be a lot simpler than traditional software by only providing the essentials to get the job done well. The system focuses on helping you create your test plans, creating and managing your test suites, requirements and cases along with allowing you to easily perform multiple test runs and generate reports.

daluu

Reged: 08/24/06
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: Scottas]
      #664637 - 03/17/11 12:26 AM

Might want to take a look at this 3 part article series with links to other related articles.

http://www.testandtry.com/2009/07/01/test-case-management-in-jira-1/

Interesting talk of using/designing JIRA for TCM. However, it appears no one has realistically put such designs into practice.

Amrut

Reged: 09/12/11
Re: Jira as a test case management Tool [Re: daluu]
      #684944 - 09/12/11 06:51 AM

I wish i had seen this before.JIRA can adapt to TCM also integrates with loads of TCM tools if the requirements are complicated.

Amrut.
+91 9922139393

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Daniel_S, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10806

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums