Training
News
Links
Downloads

Testing Tools >> HP / Mercury WinRunner

Pages: 1
Mattias

Reged: 01/13/09
Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD)
      #601923 - 11/18/09 06:53 AM

I run Winrunner scripts on a Windows Vista VMware client which I access via Remote Desktop. It works fine except for one big thing and it's that I'm not able to shutdown my physical computer and let the Winrunner scripts run "in the background" on the virtual client. I.e. I have to be connected to the machine via Remote Desktop and the RD window have to be open in order for Winrunner to find the application objects. For example when I minimize the Remote Desktop windows, the WR script run is interrupted becuse the application objects is not found by Winrunner.

My question is if it's possible for Winrunner scripts to be run on a virtual client without the operator being connected to the virtual machine during the script run?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tony Davis
Veteran

Reged: 03/23/00
Loc: Orange County, CA
Re: Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD) [Re: Mattias]
      #602215 - 11/19/09 08:26 AM

With WinRunner it is not. Once you connect via RDC to a system and kick off your script, you must remain connected, and not minimized. Not meeting those conditions will as you have seen, stop the script.

Alternative would be to have the image running on the system with an autologin feature on startup (the image is running, and logged into, just not accessed) and kick off scripts via Quality Center to the remote system.

--------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Mattias

Re: Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD) [Re: Tony Davis]
      #603465 - 11/30/09 12:27 AM

Thanks for the answer, Tony! I guess your're right that it is not possible to minimize/disconnect during the WR run via Remote Desktop. However, it's possible via Vector PC-Duo Remote Control, I have done it myself with PC-Duo v9 on a WR installation on a Win2000 host.

Therefore there might exist other applications that may handle it. I forgot to mention that it would be good if it's possible for two concurrent users to connect to the host (i.e. at the same time). Any ideas?

Tony Davis
Veteran

#603563 - 11/30/09 12:36 PM

VNC may be an option. It is a bit more 'clunky' in the usage, but will allow remote control of a system, and if I remember correctly you can allow multiple people to be signed into the same host.

Small install, decent response time, very basic in use.

--------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Mattias

Re: Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD) [Re: Tony Davis]
      #604145 - 12/03/09 12:14 AM

VNC was a very good suggestion, thank you! I tried TightVNC and it seems to be able to connect even though another user is already connected via PC-Duo Remote Control. If anyone has any suggestions of other better or more user friendly VNC applications than TightVNC, please write a little post in the thread.

James Pulley

Reged: 08/01/01
Loc: NC
      #604202 - 12/03/09 04:38 AM

Before you continue, please read the WinRunner license agreement. There are specific restrictions noted regarding both virtualization and access via remote technologies. THis may also impact the type of license you need to have in place (node locked, regional, global) depending upon your location and the location of the WinRunner instance.

Tony Davis
Veteran

Re: Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD) [Re: James Pulley]
      #604276 - 12/03/09 09:25 AM

Good catch James - I was moving full steam under the assumption that licensing is correct for this.

--------------------

Mattias

Re: Running Winrunner script on VMware client (via RD) [Re: James Pulley]
      #604458 - 12/04/09 04:09 AM

Thanks for the information, James, I will look into it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Peter Ruscoe, bpolitzer 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2993

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums