Training
News
Links
Downloads

Testing Tools >> HP / Mercury LoadRunner

Pages: 1
saitvenkatesh

Reged: 07/20/09
Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC?
      #580884 - 07/20/09 12:16 AM

Hi,

I want to learn LoadRunner. If I install LoadRunner 8.0 in my home PC, can I learn Loadrunner from home? Will I be able to generate virtual users and analyze the results? If so, can I do performance testing on the public websites like for example, Yahoo, Google, Orkut, Facebook. Will they allow?

Regards,
Venki

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tprashanth

Reged: 11/15/07
Loc: Bangalore,India
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: saitvenkatesh]
      #580892 - 07/20/09 01:18 AM

Hello Venki,

Welcome to the forum. We would encourage you to undergo proper training on LoadRunner and learn it in the right way instead of arriving at your own conclusions about the functionalities of the tool. We do not support such queries in this forum as you would intend to use trial version

Also, load testing on public websites is a legal offence and hence we would ask you to refrain from doing so. LoadRunner comes with a sample web application for your experimentation.

Thanks
Prashanth T

Rahul_Reddy

Reged: 06/04/09
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: tprashanth]
      #580894 - 07/20/09 01:33 AM

Yes, u can do performance testing from standalone PC.

James PulleyModerator

Reged: 08/01/01
Loc: NC
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: Rahul_Reddy]
      #580916 - 07/20/09 03:40 AM

There is no license that you can acquire for LoadRunner which allows for training only. Additionally, you are specifically prohibited by license from testing sites that you do not specifically have authority over and/or have written permission to test. To do so is to subject a public website to something akin to a denial of service attack.

Despite what Rahul notes, there is a well trodden path to success with LoadRunner. It begins with training with a certified instructor. It continues with mentoring through your first three engagements and ends with you as a standalone, self-sufficient performance tester. This three-mentor engagement then you're free model assumes that you also have the prerequisite knowledge sets, technical and project management skills to carry forward in performance testing.

As a practical measure of our industry, only 1 in 30 people that have LoadRunner on their resume have the practical and technical skills to be successful with the tool. That 1:30 number is a generous estimate. Depending upon the technology to be tested and the location in the world this ratio drops to as low as 1:90. If you want to set yourself apart from the crowd,IT is assumed that you also have the pre-requisite skills on both a technical and project management b follow the time honored path to success, otherwise you face the very real risk of taking advice from someone who will tell you to violate the license agreement and will leave you in the 29 out of 30 without the practical skills to be successful.

saitvenkatesh

Reged: 07/20/09
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: James Pulley]
      #580946 - 07/20/09 05:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have 6 years of IT experience in Manual testing. Wanted to learn Performance testing now. Will keep all the replies in mind, what you guys told.

Edited by saitvenkatesh (07/20/09 05:38 AM)

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: saitvenkatesh]
      #580948 - 07/20/09 05:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have 6 years of IT experience in Manual testing. Wanted to learn Performance testing now. Will keep all the replies in mind, what you guys told.

FYI: Learning LoadRunner does not mean that one has learned Performance Testing. LoadRunner is only a tool. Learning to use one of these:

...does not mean that one can disassemble and reassemble one of these:

courtesy General Motors

Corey_G
Veteran

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: Boston, MA
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: JakeBrake]
      #580971 - 07/20/09 06:33 AM

great analogy Jake. I wanna blog that!

--------------------
Corey Goldberg
Homepage: goldb.org
Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Corey_G
Veteran

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: Boston, MA
Re: Can we learn Load Runner from a standalone PC? [Re: Corey_G]
      #580973 - 07/20/09 06:40 AM

but to answer the OP's question...

assuming you had a valid license for this... technically there is no reason you can't learn the tool on your own pc. You definitely don't want to hit public sites with any substantial load (that is illegal and considered an attack).

but you can launch a local webserver on your box and play with the tools against that.

--------------------
Corey Goldberg
Homepage: goldb.org
Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, James Pulley, ptrussell_nc, JimHowell1970 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3454

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums