Downloads

Software Testing >> Automated Testing

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
PVB1979

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: mumbai,India
TOSCA automation tool
      #573346 - 06/08/09 01:40 AM

Can anyone has used the TOSCA automation tool.
How it is ?
My organization is planning to buy this testing tool after decision with our testing team.
My PM has given some Pdf file After reading this we have to seat for demo.
I have gone through the documents and feel it is good tool.
My question is anyone has used this tool?

--------------------
If you win you need not explain...But if you lose you should not be there to explain.
With Regards,
Prashant

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sain

Reged: 03/17/10
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: PVB1979]
      #618432 - 03/18/10 12:42 AM

Hi All even I have the same question which prasant had asked.

anybody used TOSCA ?

Jrg Pietzsch

Reged: 11/29/03
Loc: Schweiz
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: sain]
      #619173 - 03/23/10 10:46 AM

Yes - I did for 3 years and are actually just evaluating it for my new company again.
Any specific question about it?

Basically it's a good tool that is takiing a new paradigm in test design & automation. Very nice user interface and less technically than the "old" tools (such as QTP, Rational, Silktest etc.).
But still only a tool .. ;-)

Edited by Jrg Pietzsch (03/23/10 10:49 AM)

ashishkulkarni

Reged: 06/09/10
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Jrg Pietzsch]
      #630011 - 06/09/10 11:25 PM

Is it possible for me to get any document on TOSCA tool?

Regards
Ashish

ashishkulkarni

Reged: 06/09/10
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: PVB1979]
      #630014 - 06/10/10 12:13 AM

Can u send me document if u have any for tosca tool

SWQL_TEC

Reged: 03/29/10
Loc: Austria
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: ashishkulkarni]
      #630015 - 06/10/10 12:21 AM

Tricentis is a bit reserved regarding information about their products. If you manage to get an evaluation version, then you can only automate tests for a particular (simple) application of Tricentis.

Usually you have to do a proof of concept together with an technician of Tricentis. It is for free if you buy the product then.

Maybe you can get some useful information on their homepage http://www.tricentis.com

Tricentis Tosca is an interesting tool with some unique features. You should work with it for a while in order to decide if it fits to your organisation.

--------------------
www.software-quality-lab.at - Tool Evaluation Center

Joe StrazzereModerator

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: ashishkulkarni]
      #630041 - 06/10/10 04:04 AM

Quote:

Is it possible for me to get any document on TOSCA tool?

http://tosca-testsuite.com/en/tosca/

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

Brendan Dick

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #633339 - 07/02/10 10:48 PM

What is actually unique with Tosca? I don't see anything in their promotional material that is even close to the paradigm shift they claim or even moderately novel.

Presenting automated scripts in the same way as manual tests so that non automation engineers can create automated tests is not new. Both HP BPT and FitNess allow you to do this and I'd bet others do too.

They talk a lot about creating data and dynamic data inputs but this has been standard for years if not right from the start (where practical anyway, it isn't always in a multi-system environment). Data creation is often the very first thing to get automated and is easily incorporated into the set up for your functional tests. What they refer to as dynamic data just seems to be the ability to use calculated inputs for creating data which, while not out of the box with the tools I've used, is a pretty standard thing to do. It is not much effort to wrap keywords to use interpreted rather than literal strings.

Their promotional material also talks about test case design but this is tool independent although some tools do make good test case design easier than others.

Cheers,
Brendan.

Elfriede DustinModerator

Reged: 12/28/99
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Brendan Dick]
      #633350 - 07/03/10 04:53 AM

Quote:

What is actually unique with Tosca? ...

Their claim that Tosca automates GUI and non-GUI tests is interesting - see http://tosca-testsuite.com/en/tosca/automation/nongui/

Not many of the major vendor provided tools allow for non-GUI automation without custom development.

Elfriede

--------------------
Elfriede Dustin
My amazon blog
Solving your Automated Software and Security Testing problems
my twitter handle @ElfriedeDustin

ST_PowerUser

Reged: 03/19/08
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Elfriede Dustin]
      #635258 - 07/19/10 06:09 AM

Don't think that this is new. Although I'm not an expert with Tosca, but with SilkTest they introduced Silk4J some years ago, which allows to combine GUI and other tests (non GUI, moduletests, ...) in one test project running as Eclipse plugin. I believe now they are coming out with the same as Visual Studio plugin.

Cheers

Elfriede DustinModerator

Reged: 12/28/99
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: ST_PowerUser]
      #635264 - 07/19/10 06:36 AM

Granted a few vendors claim to have that type of support, but often it is limited, requiring custom modification. TOSCA seems to support various protocols/interfaces out of the box: web services, the EDIFACT standard, any fixed-length text structures (for WebSphere MQ, etc.), IDocs for SAP, which seems a step up from some.
For that reason alone, I'd be interested in evaluating TOSCA to learn more about it.

--------------------
Elfriede Dustin
My amazon blog
Solving your Automated Software and Security Testing problems
my twitter handle @ElfriedeDustin

ttguy

Reged: 01/28/09
Loc: Canberra
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Elfriede Dustin]
      #699289 - 02/22/12 07:33 PM

Hey PVB1979 do you have any news from your adventures in TOCSA land.

At my place of work we just got the demo of it. And management were impressed by bells and whistles.

And I thought - we what does it really do that Quick Test Pro and Business Process Testing from HP does not do.

And I also thought that this "script free" idea was rubbish. To me this means no program branching. But I was told - no you can have conditional statements in TOSCAS "script free" set up. To which I replied "so you do have a 'if condition then do blah blah' - so it is scripting." To which they replied "no it is not scripting it is in plain english".

To me it is a bit smoke and mirrors. Because - sure you can translate an "if-then" statement into plain english - QTP does it when you switch from expert view to keyword view. But this does not make it "script free" .

Am I being too cynical and set in my ways.

Does anyone sucess stories to share on TOSCA?

shobit

Reged: 11/23/11
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: ttguy]
      #700175 - 03/02/12 12:24 AM

Hello ttguy ,

I have explored Tosca for couple of days but later on switched to QTP . Reasons were :

1.Very Slow response time for web application . We opened a ticket to Tosca but never get a real solution
2.No scripting - you have to learn tool from experts to do every thing
3.For new or customized functionality you have to write extensions to the tool. To write extensions , you need to attend an expensive training with Tosca .Also ,Who knows whether your customized extension will be supported by Tosca or not in future release
4.Last but not the leaset , No Forum support . You have to always rely on a expert in your organization for development or open a ticket with tosca team - this slows down development process

I was not convinced with the Tool atleast . It is my personal opinion !

Shobit

PondScum

Reged: 07/26/02
Loc: Irving, TX
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: shobit]
      #712799 - 07/23/12 04:50 AM

@ttguy and shobit

I agree with what you are saying. There are other tools that do "scriptless" automation (Worksoft Certify is another one). I believe the whole "scriptless" thing is a myth. To do any sort of sophisticated automation in these tools you have to program; in Tosca its their extensions. If you just want an almost dumb input automation tool, then these will work, but you end up with lots of tests with static data in them for application inputs, which usually means lots of maintenance. Branching or handling of any kind of unexpected (but not necessarily bad) app behavior requires programming of extensions, recovery routines, or other special enhancements. Adapting is dynamic data situations is impossible without some sort of programmed enhancement.

The selling point on Tosca is how all those manual testers you have can now create automation with little to no training (yea, right), which will work up to a point for the simple scenarios. Then you have to have an automation team doing all the script work to get around the limitations of the simple data input design. Tosca also likes to quote that you can easily get 80% automated without doing any programming. I call BS on that. Maybe with a very simple app or web page, but for anything like what I have automated in the past, Tosca will never get to that level of test coverage without a lot of extensions and scripting work.

Laundry

Reged: 10/29/08
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: PondScum]
      #712833 - 07/23/12 09:32 AM

I've been doing a lot of looking for information on Tosca, and this thread has been the most useful. Very little (if any) useful information available.

However the Tricentis (developers of Tosca) have a pretty good marketing team. The first three pages of Google are prweb this, automation tool that, Gartner this, etc, blah blah.

Basically, it sounds like it is a slow tool, and because very people use it, there is no internet forum support.

I've also noticed that of the little information that is available, it is not positive, and almost always rebutted by a poster who has simply joined to post the rebuttal and then never posted again. Which usually means the one post is from someone with a vested interested.

Edited by Laundry (07/23/12 09:34 AM)

inverted

Reged: 04/13/08
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Laundry]
      #713032 - 07/25/12 09:52 PM

Does anyone have any pricing information for this tool? My organization is considering it atm.

MarcoB

Reged: 06/12/12
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: inverted]
      #713050 - 07/26/12 02:28 AM

I'm a bit lost between all these automation tools, I'm going from one website to another, Tosca beeing one of them, and I found this one:

http://www.squashtest.org/index.php/en/what-is-squash-/tools-and-functionalities/squash-ta

Has anyone heard of Squash TA?
I don't know how good it is. Or if you have some suggestions for a good automation tool

Heinz_Berberich

Reged: 07/25/12
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Laundry]
      #713688 - 08/03/12 03:31 AM

To me the major pros and cons of TOSCA are:
+ Testmanagement and Automation Tool in one
+ No Scripting
+ Testing methodology
+ Supports the most common technologies (HTML, Java, SOA, SAP, Oracle, )
+ Good vendor support
- Pricing
- Not easy to learn and setup efficiently, especially in a large organization
- Coding (when necessary) can be complex

It is a commercial tool, so it should be compared to other commercial tools like the HP-Suite. If a freeware tool fits to your needs its ok, no need to spend money.

No Scripting: The question is what can you do with an UI control like a text field? You can enter or read a value, and will randomly verify an attribute like the background color. For this a flexible scripting solution is an overkill! TOSCA provides action modes for this (Input, Verify, Buffer), which can be selected from a list for the control. Non-technical testers will prefer this approach to scripting.

You need coding whenever the UI controls cannot be steered by the default engines. This is a little bit complex and will probably need consulting. Tricentis says that this is only necessary at the beginning and does not change often. I have no experience with that, but I have done several projects with html, Java and Webservices and we did not need any coding at all. For Siebel or SAP this is probably different.

What I really appreciate with Tricentis is that they not only provide a tool, but also propose a sophisticated testing strategy. The TCDesign module can guide you to the minimum number of necessary test cases giving a high coverage. Its quite easy to review the test design of different testers and to understand their ideas.

Edited by Heinz_Berberich (08/03/12 03:32 AM)

AndiZ

Reged: 04/07/04
Loc: Switzerland
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: Heinz_Berberich]
      #714393 - 08/13/12 05:48 AM

I've been working for 10 years with test automation tools.
From QARun, TestPartner, Segue Silk, WinRunner and QTP i now arrived at Tosca. Currently i automate a SAP BW project with TOSCA@SAP.
The automation of SAP with Tosca is very reliable and even the SAP Data Monitor, with its complicated grid is easily accessible.
I'm excited about Tosca! It is very easy to use (if you understand the objects and the process model)

Tosca automation makes sense only if one adheres to the philosophy of the tool. This means that a framework in conjunction with the
"Test Case Design" add-in (TCD) is based for a test. In the TCD, the logical test cases and test data are managed and connected to the automated Tests.

In contrast to the other automation tools, TOSCA is very easy to maintain. Of course, there must be adjustments to the engines,
which requires the use of a Tricentis developer. This can be a disadvantage, but it's in contrast to my experience with some QTP projects still not a critical issue,
since only the object information is affected and not the Test procedure.
In QTP the problem was that too many developers (VB scripter) used too different coding methods which increased the maintenance cost.

Many QTP projects have died because the developer then no longer were available and the project therefore discontinued and because of the loss of expertise.
Each new developer first had to analyze the QTP Framework and then to implement the appropriate changes with great effort.
The risk of loss on know-how is low with TOSCA where the test procedures are consistent, because much less individual script implementations are available.
With QTP one has to build frameworks to create reasonably consistent Automatic Tests.
TOSCA is the framework itself.

traydaht

Reged: 12/19/06
Re: TOSCA automation tool [Re: AndiZ]
      #716986 - 09/25/12 08:17 AM

I have been working as a contractor with automated testing tools for a very long time and know many of the most common tools well. My next role is with Tosca, I will be evaluating it then, if the tool is selected, work with it. Once I have some experience with the tool I will post my thoughts here.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Elfriede Dustin, AJ, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 51155

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums