Downloads

Testing Tools >> IBM/Rational Performance Tester

Pages: 1
kwosburn

Reged: 12/11/01
Loc: Albuquerque,NM,USA
Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner comparison
      #559739 - 03/30/09 12:58 PM

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of Rational Performance Tester and LoadRunner?

I have been using LR since 2001, so I am very familiar with its features. However, I dont know much about the Rational product. On the surface they look very similar.

If you have used or evaluated both products, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Ken

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AmarAnand

Reged: 05/27/09
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner comparison [Re: kwosburn]
      #571495 - 05/27/09 11:49 PM

Hi Ken,

their is no comparision between these two products. According to performance engineering, compatability, features, usability and in many ways Loadrunner is the best tool.

Amar

bebo

Reged: 04/21/09
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner comparison [Re: AmarAnand]
      #578905 - 07/09/09 05:47 AM

For money sake my company is evaluating the RPT tool in hopes of eliminating LoadRunner. I've been working with LR since 2001 also. I need to present a good reason or white paper to my company to illustrate why LR is the better tool. However I have no idea of how to use RPT or its design.

jason_m
Advanced Member

Reged: 03/28/05
Loc: St. Louis
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner comparison [Re: bebo]
      #579012 - 07/09/09 10:11 AM

That's a good reason. Training employees is not free.

--------------------
1. 9.5
2. Web/HTTP (HTML mode)
3. No
5. None
6. New
7. Web 5800
Network 1000
DCOM 1000
Oracle 1000
Remote Access 1000
8. Yes
9. Windows Server 2003 SP1
10. No

What Everyone Should Read Before Asking For Help on the Internet

Larry Geisz
Advanced Member

Reged: 05/11/01
Loc: Sun City AZ (waiting for retir...
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner compar [Re: jason_m]
      #587730 - 08/26/09 02:21 PM

Quote:

That's a good reason. Training employees is not free.

jason while on the surface you answer is true sometimes tool companies will train a new clients team and write it off as cost of business... A truer statement along with the cost would be the time it will take to be back to the same levels of competency with a new tool as you are with your current tool... My current employer has moved to rational for everything except performance testing we have a well established lab and testing methodology and at this point their would be no quick ROI for us to change...

--------------------
But in the end doesn't it all come down to BEER? Beer is the ultimate answer to all questions in the universe so yes the answer to your question is BEER.
lgeisz

oldpond

Reged: 09/29/09
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner compar [Re: Larry Geisz]
      #593539 - 09/29/09 06:49 AM

The tools are very similar, and I often wonder who owns the patents ;-)

I have been using RPT for many years, and I have played with LR and a few other test tools.

IMHO, LR supports more protocols than RPT, but it won't be long before RPT catches up. In terms of community and industry support, LR is way ahead of RPT.

As for training, HP has many LR courses schedule on their site. I am on the waiting list to see when then next RPT training will happen. That should tell you something.

Career wise, if your company switches to RPT, go solo and make a boat load of money as a LR contractor.

oldpond

Reged: 09/29/09
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner compar [Re: oldpond]
      #594664 - 10/06/09 08:34 AM

After playing around with the latest Loadrunner demo, I would have to say RPT has surpassed LR in terms of data correlation.

One neat feature LR has that RPT doesn't is the ability to query the database on the fly to build datapools.

LaytonA

Reged: 01/27/09
      #598495 - 10/27/09 08:28 AM

I am looking at RPT 8 right now and can't persuade it to record a Web script (yet?)
Web Services from WSDL - more successful
But in general it's looking less of an alternative to LR than SilkPerformer which impressed me.
LR tends to be "best" apart from / $$$ and commercial attitude IMHO.

rstencel

Reged: 08/15/01
Re: Rational Performance Tester/ LoadRunner comparison [Re: kwosburn]
      #608004 - 01/04/10 06:52 AM

I have used loadrunner since 2000, until last year when my company switched to Rational Performance tester. It has been a very unsuccessful switch to this point, as RPT has had many issues recording scripts, and memory issues related to recording and exucuting tests.

RPT has no support for AJAX or the web 2.0 technologies, which is killing us. There is not comparison between the two in my opinion, as RPT still has a long way to go to get up to speed.

If you are looking for a tool to replace loadrunner for Web load testing, my advice would be to look into WebLoad from Radview. I only did some proof of concept testing with it, but was impressed with it for web testing, and its support of the newer technologies that Loadrunner has been lagging behind in.

--------------------
Robert Stencel

rstencel

Reged: 08/15/01
      #608005 - 01/04/10 06:55 AM

Quote:

After playing around with the latest Loadrunner demo, I would have to say RPT has surpassed LR in terms of data correlation.

One neat feature LR has that RPT doesn't is the ability to query the database on the fly to build datapools.

I would have to disagree with that, having used both. Yes RPT has more built in to start, but with loadrunner, you can control what gets correlated, and can add items it missed.

I spend more time removing bad correlations in RPT than ever did adding missed ones in load runner, since it seems to want to correlate every other number, and usually with data that has nothing to do with said number.

--------------------
Robert Stencel

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  RSBarber, AJ, AllenGay 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums