Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> Software Testing Interview Questions

Pages: 1
tester2k8

Reged: 06/28/08
Test Lead Interview Questions
      #501264 - 07/18/08 09:16 PM

Hi Folks!

I am a new member here and have read many posts made by you guys! I think the suggestions here are great and therefore would like to ask you this. I am preparing to appear for interview for software test lead and want to know about the questions. What kind of questions would you ask the candidates appearing for Software Test Lead interview, if you were to interview the candidates? It would be good if you could also tell what kind of answers you would expect to those questions.

Cheers!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ElLobo

Reged: 08/20/02
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: tester2k8]
      #501274 - 07/19/08 01:15 AM

I would expect honest, professional and not succinct answers.

Inder_P_Singh

Reged: 06/18/08
Loc: India
      #501317 - 07/20/08 01:50 AM

Hi Sachin,

The responsibilities of a software test lead can vary from one organization to the next. Even within an organization, the knowledge of different interviewers can differ in the areas of software testing, project/ customer requirements and organization requirements. Many technical interviewers keep the requirements and areas to cover in mind and base the interview questions on these requirements and areas; they do not usually have scripted questions to ask the candidate. Due to these reasons, it is difficult to arrive at a list of generic questions that can cover all software test lead interviews. The job description provided by the company that has called you for the interview should provide the information for your preparation. In case you do not have the job description available with you, the following topics could provide you ideas for questions that you should prepare:

1. Software test planning
2. Software test life cycle
3. Design and authoring of test cases
4. Review (of requirements, test cases, test results, defect reports etc.)
5. Types of testing performed (scripted/ exploratory, manual/ automated, functional/ performance/ security etc.)
6. Work planning, assignment, tracking and problem resolution
7. Test environments
8. Tools used (test management/ automation/ defect reporting)
9. Client coordination
10. Methodology followed
11. Team handled (team size/ competencies of team members/ examples of team work)
12. Methodology followed (structured/ agile)

Hope it helps!
Inder P Singh

--------------------
Inder P Singh

For more of my thoughts, visit the blog, Software Testing Space @ http://inderpsingh.blogspot.com/

ElLobo

Reged: 08/20/02
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: Inder_P_Singh]
      #501334 - 07/20/08 02:09 PM

Quote:

1. Software test planning
2. Software test life cycle
3. Design and authoring of test cases
4. Review (of requirements, test cases, test results, defect reports etc.)
5. Types of testing performed (scripted/ exploratory, manual/ automated, functional/ performance/ security etc.)
6. Work planning, assignment, tracking and problem resolution
7. Test environments
8. Tools used (test management/ automation/ defect reporting)
9. Client coordination
10. Methodology followed
11. Team handled (team size/ competencies of team members/ examples of team work)
12. Methodology followed (structured/ agile)

Inder_P_Singh, you have a great set of possible question, but personally I would more concentrate on #11 from your list. If one is not able to lead, represent and manage team members, all other skills are worthless.

JCTreb

Reged: 08/16/01
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
      #501338 - 07/20/08 03:59 PM

Quote:

I am preparing to appear for interview for software test lead and want to know about the questions. What kind of questions would you ask the candidates appearing for Software Test Lead interview, if you were to interview the candidates? It would be good if you could also tell what kind of answers you would expect to those questions.

I get the feeling that you're not currently filling the role of a 'test lead'. So, one thing you're going to have to think about and be able to communicate is how you translate your current role/responsibilities to that of a lead.

Similarly, if you are a lead, then you'll want to be able to use examples of your past leadership successes (and potentially, your failures) to communicate how you would be successful in this new leadership type of role.

--------------------
Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: JCTreb]
      #501341 - 07/20/08 04:41 PM

In some organizations, "test lead" is simply the title used for "senior tester." The word "lead" does not necessarily imply a day-to-day responsibility for actually "leading" anyone.

The original question does not make this clear.

tester2k8

Reged: 06/28/08
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: Inder_P_Singh]
      #501703 - 07/21/08 05:17 PM

Hi Inder,

Thanks for your exhaustive list of topics. And I feel this is going to be of a great help for my preparation seriously. Much Appreciated!

Hi Labels / Jason,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will start working on the areas that you have suggested. Thanks a lot!

yagsy

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
      #668403 - 04/16/11 08:43 PM

I would concentrate on explaining YOUR experiences in how you lead a project or team members, how lead by example, how you lead the team itself in a project and also on how to help team members be successful in their roles and tasks. These examples might include how you read books, conduct some training, how you might work with a particular team member with completing their tasks as well as finding ways to get further training. You might also assess team member skill sets and work with the manager for finding ways to get further training.

I also feel that leads must be able to work well with other departments, be prepared to lead projects, working closely with the manager on helping with resources for projects. Communication throughout the company players is critical in any project's success. You might want to talk about how you have shown initiative to help at various points within a project in how you navigated through difficult situations and state how you succeeded.

Remember testing doesn't have "best" practices but instead guidelines that may need to be manipulated. You need to show how you can adapt to situations, be ready to jump in and lead your team to help resolve issues.

I'm sure there's more but this is what I've started with, and hopefully others will continue to chime in.

One philosophy that I personally follow is to not only be an inspiration but take inspiration from all of my team members.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: yagsy]
      #668409 - 04/17/11 05:12 AM

Wow, Jean Ann, I never thought YOU'D be one to wake up a zombie thread!

yagsy

Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #668418 - 04/17/11 10:20 AM

No kidding! I didn't realize, but this thread was fairly towards the top. I sure didn't go searching for it. Sorry about that!

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

#668479 - 04/18/11 06:36 AM

<smile> I expect it had had a post that was subsequently deleted or moved. But I had to rattle your chain a little.

yagsy

Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #668509 - 04/18/11 10:10 AM

Tis okay. Maybe I needed my chain rattled. Or...maybe I did it just to see if you're awake?

--------------------

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (04/18/11 10:11 AM)

srivatsanraju

Reged: 11/20/05
Loc: Tamiladu India
      #668519 - 04/18/11 10:45 AM

These are some of the questions for a test lead-
When do you stop testing?
How will you prepare your team for session based testing?
When will you prepare a test plan if requirements are in progress?
What is stratergy you follow to decide whether the product can be tested manually or automatically?
How will you maintain sprint log for test execution in agile?
What is mean by defect leverage ratio how it will be used?
How will you calculate field fault density?
When will you classify and work on a defect with status as high severity and low priority, low severity and high priority?
What are the steps do you take to get oraganisation context to bring testing into the development process.
Which is the artifact you feel contributed most during testing and which is the least, why?

--------------------
Srivatsan

ethanhutn3055

Reged: 05/28/11
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: srivatsanraju]
      #672996 - 05/28/11 12:41 AM

I will say that candidate should know all things about the subject or field for which he is coming. Like for the leading software tester he must know all the things and main focus was on the way of talking or attitude..In an interview small things also matter so lead the answer with gentaly and honesty.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiqvl6_...n-system_people

Edited by ethanhutn3055 (05/28/11 12:43 AM)

jennyfd

Reged: 12/14/11
Re: Test Lead Interview Questions [Re: ethanhutn3055]
      #696994 - 01/29/12 11:46 PM

These are some Some interesting Software testing interview questions asked by one of the reader Srinivas M.

1. In an application currently in production, one module of code is being modified. Is it necessary to re-test the whole application or is it enough to just test functionality associated with that module?

2. What is the most challenging situation you had during testing?

3. What are you going to do if there is no Functional Spec or any documents related to the system and developer who wrote the code does not work in the company anymore, but you have system and need to test?

------------------
Qa manager interview questions
http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.com/quality-assurance-manager-interview-questions/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  martinh, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 87080

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums