Pages: 1
Vengat
Advanced Member

Reged: 02/11/06
Loc: Bangalore
Compuware Hiperstation for Mainframe vis-a-vis QTP
      #498256 - 07/08/08 10:46 PM

Hello,

We are trying to evaluate this tool vis-a-vis QTP for mainframe applications.

I would want a comparison along the following lines:

1. Ease of learning

2. Programming language/scripting language required to learn

3. What can Hiperstation do that QTP cannot and vice-versa

Thanks,

--------------------
Vengat Ramanan.R

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Vengat
Advanced Member

Re: Compuware Hiperstation for Mainframe vis-a-vis QTP [Re: Vengat]
      #498638 - 07/09/08 09:59 PM

This is what I have understood:

Hiperstation:

Contrary to our idea the primary objective of Hiperstation is IT and Data security for Mainframe applications. We can safely say that Hiperstation is not primarily a test automation tool. The tool acts like a surveillance camera and records the employees interaction with the application. This can be used as a material evidence to investigate if an employee had caused a data violation. We can get all of the recorded activities in the form of snap shots or reports on a browser.

The major difference between QTP and Hiperstation, to my understanding, is while the QTP simulates a manual testers activity on the UI/Terminal Emulator of the application under test, the Hiperstation does not use the UI to interact with the application under test. Hiperstation communicates with the mainframe server at the protocol level and can only record user interactions on terminals. It is very similar to the web-services testing we have been doing with the Load Runner component VuGen where we record our activities on the SOAP UI. At the time of play back we dont require the SOAP UI. Hiperstation could be a very good candidate for unit, concurrency and performance testing but I doubt its efficacy vis--vis functional testing. We can safely say that we cannot do unit, concurrency and performance testing with QTP.

In a nutshell, we can say that apart from being a security watch dog for Mainframe applications the Hiperstation can be of additional value as an automation tool only to the point of replaying recorded events. I am not sure if the tool would help us in building a functional automated test case as we do it on QTP. I presume we will miss the flavour of automating manual test cases.

With our premise that Hiperstation is essentially a record&playback tool, I doubt if we can do any complex test case logic since it might not offer us room to write code/script. Everything about QTP and Hiperstation are different except, probably, the record/play back functionality.

I came to the above conclusion based on my interaction with the local Compuware representative. He would not divulge details, as it has no bearing on his business in India. He told me that Compuwares TestPartner would provide the same functionalities of QTP as Hiperstation is not designed simulate user activity on the Terminal Emulators/UI of the mainframe applications. Hiperstation would be installed along with the mainframe application and can be switched on/off for recording. We can create our tests by recording the user interaction according to a plan. When run we can get a comparison of recorded and run snap shots.
Since Hiperstation does not require scripting, I believe it should be relatively easy for us to learn when compared to QTP within the premises of functional test automation and there could be lot to learn with reference to Data Security.

Thanks,

--------------------
Vengat Ramanan.R

Edited by Vengat (07/09/08 10:06 PM)

Vengat
Advanced Member

#498639 - 07/09/08 10:04 PM

Note:- The inference is based on whatever material I could get hold of.

--------------------
Vengat Ramanan.R

Edited by Vengat (07/09/08 10:05 PM)

QTester2

Reged: 07/16/08
      #500506 - 07/16/08 01:16 PM

I would like to make a few things clear. Hiperstation is an automated testing tool for mainframe applications. It can also be used for Application Auditing where it functions as a "security camera" for applications.

Because of it's long history (20+yrs) as a testing tool you should find it rich in functionality and easy to use. Apart from recording and replaying traditional terminal traffic through VTAM, Hiperstation also supports WebSphere MQ, TCP/IP, ECI, CTG, DB2 and IMS Connect. Really any communication to and from the mainframe to a distributed application can be efficiently recorded and replayed. I can assure you that because it works on the underlying traffic level it can work with terminal emulators.

Playback is not limited to just what was recorded. Using REXX language you can create new inputs to drive your testing.

You should look at some of the information on the Compuware website, this is the link for Hiperstation for VTAM, that page has links for the MQ and Mainframe Servers (TCP/IP) products http://www.compuware.com/products/qacenter/qahiperstation.htm. But I really suggest that you contact Compuware directly and arrange for a presentation. You can find your local office at this link http://www.compuware.com/corporate/offices/ . Only by having this discussion where you can lay out your specific testing needs can you get a real picture of what the product offers and make an informed decision.

Joe StrazzereModerator

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Compuware Hiperstation for Mainframe vis-a-vis QTP [Re: QTester2]
      #500508 - 07/16/08 01:34 PM

QTester2,

When vendor representatives post, they should disclose their affiliation in every post. We usually suggest using the Signature line.

Otherwise, some people might think they are just shills, and start disliking the vendor and/or product.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

whitefork

Reged: 08/15/08
Not a shill, honest. [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #508885 - 08/15/08 12:29 PM

We've been using Hiperstation for about 8 years and run a regression test of about 2200 scripts of varying complexity.
We treat Hiperstation more as a programming language (REXX as noted above) with capture/playback capability built in.

Compuware's test driver (QA Director) proved inadequate for our purposes in managing so large a test so we wrote our own (runs as an MVS job that manages a bunch of other jobs running concurrently or sequentially).

Hiperstation is expensive and the scripts require maintenance like any other program would. It is not a cure-all but if you're willing to spend the effort it will simulate huge volumes of activity reliably and works equally well as a functional and performance tool for 3270- and MQ-based applications.

Edited by whitefork (08/15/08 12:31 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Elfriede Dustin, AJ, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6328

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums