Miscellaneous Forums >> UNIX

Pages: 1
Pavan_Ravi

Reged: 03/27/08
Testing UNIX Applications
      #470869 - 03/28/08 07:59 AM

Hi all,

Can any one help me listing out a application run on UNIX
( example application )possibly short description of it and in which phase a tester comes into play to perform testing. What are the main aspects that a software tester must know when he does testing on applications run on UNIX.

Thanks..

Regards,
Pavan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Corey_G
Veteran

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: Boston, MA
Re: Testing UNIX Applications [Re: Pavan_Ravi]
      #470881 - 03/28/08 08:38 AM

can you clarify what you are looking for? your question doesn't really make sense.

--------------------
Corey Goldberg
Homepage: goldb.org
Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Pavan_Ravi

Reged: 03/27/08
      #470892 - 03/28/08 08:54 AM

Hi corey,

I have tested applications run on Oracle/SQL Server but did not test any application run on UNIX yet so i am just wondering if some one can list an example application run on UNIX.

I know UNIX shell scripting as well but since i never tested UNIX applications, i just want to know how my skills can be utilized if i am asked to test an application run on UNIX because i really dont understand where a software tester will come into play..

Please let me know if you still could not get my question..

rkmedd

Reged: 03/05/08
      #471006 - 03/28/08 02:47 PM

Pavan,

On a UNIX system, a tester verifies requirements and system functionality just like they would on any other system with maybe one difference, in UNIX based systems there is more emphasis on log files generated by the system under test. Assuming you have completed all your pre-testing milestones, you set up your test bed and begin running test cases. You initiate sunny day and rainy day test scenarios.

Like systems on any other platform, you will be checking outputs also. Maybe you will testing a telephony application so your output would be expecting a phone to ring. Or maybe the tests are for new software compilers that are capable of compiling source files with 50 million symbols in them. Perhaps 2 companies merged and their combined billing systems have to insert monthly transactions into a new db.

Whatever the app is, in the UNIX env, the server side programs usually by design, generate status and error messages into log files, which are text based. So you need to locate those log files, and learn to use commands such as cd, grep, pipe [|], tr, more, redirect [>], tail, diff, split, cut, and vi to view data in those log files. The strategy for this testing is to perform your application tests, and then collect the log data from the log file into a temp file. Then review the log data in the temp file for sign of failures. You may want to bribe a developer to give you hints about interpreting the messages in the applications log files.

Don't forget to save these log files on a per test basis in a safe directory, for CYA documentation. Also the stored log files will be helpful if at the last minute, you need to retest the application quickly, because of last minute code changes. Then the UNIX diff command will make this effort less stressful.

Good luck,

Robert Freeman

--------------------
The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of what they have. [Anonymous]

mwtmail

Reged: 08/08/08
Re: Testing UNIX Applications [Re: rkmedd]
      #508986 - 08/16/08 05:27 PM

and use some tools to watch the CPU and mem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4680

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums