Calendar   Today's Topics

Lost Password?

Software Testing >> Unit Testing

Pages: 1

Reged: 12/14/07
SDK Testing
      #460178 - 02/21/08 07:54 AM

Hi All,

I'm new in SQA and was hoping to get some advise here. I need to test some C/C++ SDKs, what tool should I use? Or how do I get started?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
Re: SDK Testing [Re: tweetpiyo]
      #460225 - 02/21/08 10:11 AM

Can you please elaborate? What must be the outcomes of your testing? Are you testing developer tools, APIs, etc? If so, would not the development environment contain the pieces/parts you need to validate correctness of the targeted pieces/parts??

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Re: SDK Testing [Re: JakeBrake]
      #460418 - 02/22/08 02:24 AM

While definitions vary, my understanding of a C/C++ SDK is a set of program modules to be included within another program to provide specific additional functionality. The SDK is usually either provided as C/C++ source, statically linked libraries (.LIBs), or dynamically linked libraries (.DLLs). A good SDK will usually include a number of samples, and documentation on how to use the SDK. While COM functionality in DLLs can be tested via scripting, most other C/C++ SDK delivery formats cannot.

The way that I test such SDKs is to write test harnesses to exercise the functions I want, either directly or by exposing them to a GUI interface such that they can be manually tested. I usually limit the harness to thoroughly testing the aspects of the SDK I want to use, rather than the whole SDK, as modern SDKs tend to be large and the amount of functionality required by any one application comparitively small.

The tools required, a C/C++ compiler, and any other development and testing tools you typically use.

To get started, write a small program that fires up the SDK, calls a single SDK function, verifies the result, and shuts down.

Please follow this link for a previous example of calling an external C library, and remember that the search tool on the top right hand corner of this screen is your friend.

My LinkedIn profile

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Jeanj 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10861

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums