Downloads

Software Testing >> Web Testing

Pages: 1
HarshadK

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: Maharashtra, India
Does a browser behaves differnetly on different OS
      #426847 - 10/23/07 11:17 PM

I am testing an web application which uses ajax. When I execute the test case on Mozilla installed on WinXP; it runs perfectly without any error. But when I am executing the same test case on Mozilla installed on Win 2000 (SP 4); the test case fails.
(I am using the same version of Mozilla FF 2.0.0.8 for both of these test cases.)

My question is: Is there any one arrived at such a conclusion that Browsers behaves differently on different OS platforms.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ann2008

Reged: 07/04/07
Re: Does a browser behaves differnetly on different OS [Re: HarshadK]
      #426950 - 10/24/07 05:10 AM

We make a browser extension for Firefox that works on Windows, Mac and Linux using 99.99% the same Javascript code. The only problem we had with the different OS where the file names (\ on Windows, / on Linux) and the location of temporary files. Maybe that helps.

--------------------
Get free Web Testing Add-Ons for IE and Firefox
My email, iMacros Performance & Regression Web Testing
Monitor your website in IE, Firefox and Chrome: AlertFox Website Monitoring - full AJAX and Flash applet support.

Tony Davis
Veteran

Reged: 03/23/00
Loc: Orange County, CA
Re: Does a browser behaves differnetly on different OS [Re: Ann2008]
      #427065 - 10/24/07 08:03 AM

More than just the location of certain directories - you also need to consider the system configuration.

Does one system have a different memory allocation for the browser (as one OS installed don't cache the files, where the other one does?, etc).

Also, is there hardware acceleration for one system above the other? This could affect performance realted to screen rendering. How does the hardware differe between the machines?

There are a lot of items you need to consider to say that the OS installs ensured the borowser version was installed exactly the same

--------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

brentpaine
Veteran

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Re: Does a browser behaves differnetly on different OS [Re: Tony Davis]
      #427073 - 10/24/07 08:17 AM

Tony has it dead-on. This could, unfortunately, be one of those things that you end up struggling with for a long time, if you are trying to prove that this is the software causing the issue.

Also, remember, that there are other x-factors such as packet loss. Is the Win2K machine dropping pakcets where the other isn't this may cause the checksum to be invalid and fail. Could this be a failing graphics card?

I always thought that WinXP and Win2K were built on the same codebase, which would lead me to believe that this is more of a hardware issue than software. I could be completely wrong though, too.

This is type of situation is when I like to make a case for virtualization. If you try something like VMWare, you should be able to remove a great number of x-factors which could be introducing badness into your testing environment.

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
--------------------

HarshadK

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: Maharashtra, India
Re: Does a browser behaves differnetly on differen [Re: brentpaine]
      #430701 - 11/06/07 03:56 AM

The issue is being fixed in latest version of FF (2.0.0.9); it was related to execution of AJAX code.

Thanks for replies.

prtesterModerator

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Does a browser behaves differnetly on differen [Re: HarshadK]
      #430811 - 11/06/07 07:29 AM

Thanks for the follow up HNK. It's good to know how things turned out.

tester

--------------------
see my blog: www.sqablogs.com/rainbowtesting

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, prtester, Joe Strazzere, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2178

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums