Miscellaneous Forums >> Software Testing Interview Questions

Pages: 1
ShivaKumarA

Reged: 05/05/07
Difference between Testbed, Test Environment setup
      #390802 - 06/19/07 11:44 PM

hi
i was asked this question in an interview,plz ans
what is the diff bw Testbed setup and Test environment setup?

Edited by Joe Strazzere (06/20/07 04:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Testcrunch

Reged: 06/18/07
Re: plz look at my post [Re: ShivaKumarA]
      #390856 - 06/20/07 03:05 AM

And how did you answer?

They sound pretty similar to me. No doubt someone will now tell me otherwise. Chances are the interviewer was himself confused and wanted someone to put him out of his misery.

--------------------
Testcrunch

www.itwerkzsometimes.com

k_jc

Reged: 06/20/07
Re: plz look at my post [Re: Testcrunch]
      #390878 - 06/20/07 03:50 AM

Can this be a answer?.

Test Bed consists of test data setup and test environment need not be with the test data

Testcrunch

Reged: 06/18/07
Re: plz look at my post [Re: k_jc]
      #390915 - 06/20/07 04:49 AM

Hmm..a test environment with no data. Inneresting. The only time you would use an empty test environment would be where you were testing, possibly, an initial data load of a brand new system.

Maybe it was a question to trip you up so that you would fail the interview.

--------------------
Testcrunch

www.itwerkzsometimes.com

testerworld

Reged: 03/31/07
Loc: India
Re: plz look at my post [Re: Testcrunch]
      #391640 - 06/21/07 09:03 PM

TESTBED is your software and hardware requirements of an application where as test environment is where you test application

--------------------
"I am not tester,but born to test things"

Santosh83

Reged: 03/07/07
Loc: India
Re: Difference between Testbed, Test Environment s [Re: ShivaKumarA]
      #457599 - 02/13/08 04:08 AM

Both are quite similar or we can say that Test Environment covers a bigger circumference as compare to Test Bed. Below is a brief description:

Test Environment: The hardware and software environment in which tests will be run, and any other software with which the software under test interacts when under test including stubs and test drivers.

Test Bed: An execution environment configured for testing. May consist of specific hardware, OS, network topology, configuration of the product under test, other application or system software, etc. The Test Plan for a project should enumerated the test beds(s) to be used.

--------------------
Santosh Srivastava
Process Improvement - PwC India

I don't make software, I make it better

jjcorbett

Reged: 08/28/07
Re: Difference between Testbed, Test Environment s [Re: Santosh83]
      #457847 - 02/13/08 01:10 PM

Test Bed is a selection of Data covering as many business scenarios as possible. It is setup initially, then added to as new business functions emerge e.g. Full-time employees, Part-time employees, permanent, temporary, positions held...

Test Environments are separate areas setup to conduct various testing. e.g. we have R3D (development, unit testing), R3Q (QA testing, no development allowed).
Also, HRT (parallel development area and unit testing).

From my experience anyways.

developedtester
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/01/07
Loc: Raleigh NC
Re: Difference between Testbed, Test Environment s [Re: jjcorbett]
      #457857 - 02/13/08 01:32 PM

So either a test bed could have many test environments in it, or a test environment could have many test beds. Sounds like this might be company/project defined and possibly totally opposite. I'd say they are basically the same, but I like JJs definitions better. Here's wikipedia's defn. of testbed:

A testbed is a platform for experimentation for large development projects. Testbeds allow for rigorous, transparent and replicable testing of scientific theories, computational tools, and other new technologies.

The term is used across many disciplines to describe a development environment that is shielded from the hazards of testing in a live or production environment.

In software, the hardware and software requirements are known as the testbed. This is also known as the test environment.

Testbeds are also pages on the internet where the public is given the opportunity to test CSS or HTML they have created and are wanting to see the outcome.

--------------------
Cheers,
B^2

"Imagination is more valuable than knowledge." (AE)

Testero6

Reged: 01/12/08
Re: Difference between Testbed, Test Environment s [Re: developedtester]
      #465759 - 03/11/08 04:18 PM

There is no much difference however,
Test environment: is that the surroundings in which we execute tests. This environment contains hardware components and the software environment in which we executes tests as well as any other software with which test interacts during testing. Here hardware environment means size of the ram, Processor speed, and other things like this.

Test bed: refers to the environment configured for testing.
This environment may contain specific hardware, operating system, network topology and any other application which is under the environment configured for testing. When we develop a test plan then we mention the test bed in details. So it will be not difficult for a software tester to choose the environment to execute test cases. In test bed, we configure the environment for running test. As we configure environment, then it means that we select the hardware and software according to our requirements or you can say according to our wish. This is the difference between test bed and test environment.

ElLobo

Reged: 08/20/02
Re: Difference between Testbed, Test Environment s [Re: Testero6]
      #466082 - 03/12/08 10:11 AM

I have no idea what is the difference between Testbed setup and Test environment setup. We are not using the term testbed at all. Are we doomed? The Wikipedia refers to testbed as "This is also known as the test environment." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testbed

I would ask them back what is the difference between both in you company.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  martinh, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8102

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums