Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
ayan_banerjee_1983

Reged: 03/07/07
Test case from Use case
      #365337 - 03/12/07 04:26 AM

How to develope test case using use case?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ljeanwilkin

Reged: 01/13/03
Re: Test case from Use case [Re: ayan_banerjee_1983]
      #365380 - 03/12/07 06:28 AM

It is very difficult to explain how to analyze documents to extrapolate test cases in a few paragraphs in these forums.

However, you read each use case and for every statement made in terms of how the system works, you formulate test cases, using valid and invalid data. If you have never been trained to write test cases or are unfamiliar with standard test case design methods, such as boundary testing, I'd suggest you get a good book or two. Many people new to the field like Edward Kit's "Software Testing in the Real World".

- Linda

Natz

Reged: 03/13/07
Re: Test case from Use case [Re: ljeanwilkin]
      #366785 - 03/17/07 08:54 AM

From your use cases, you should be able to build detailed requirements specification. The requirements gathering is likely be done by the System Analyst. You should study the documentations on Software Requirement Specification (SRS), Software Development Plan (SDP), Software Testing Design (STD), and Software Testing Requirement(STR)(all of these documents were originally used by the military)

I would like to state that use case is different from test case. If you did the use case according to the Unified Modeling Language (UML)'s rules and understand its concept, there will be not much problem. However, your use case should not specify all functionalities that you want in your system. Including too much info. in your use case is not such a good practice either.

In the SRS, after creating the use case, now only we will move on to the requirements specification. Only from a clear requirements specification, you can develop a good class diagram, sequence diagram and so on in the SRS. (in my opinion, SRS can become the first guidance to build test cases)

Now, when you have finished doing the SDP, SRS, and SDD, its time to move to STD and STR. Both of these two documents will become second guidance to help you build test cases.

Again, i would like to stress that the requirements descriptions should be written based on the use cases. And the way to write your test cases should be based on the requirements description or class diagram or sequence diagram. Basically it still means the same - that you are using use case to build test case

All these documentations effort is really a hardworking job. I suggest you find yourself a system analyst who will make the SRS, STD and STR and then, by using that thorough documentations, you as a tester should be able to use it as a guidance to write a good test cases. (or you could just ask the system analyst to write you one after doing some discussions.)

I suggest reading on IBM's UML use case diagram, sequence diagram, class diagram, statechart diagram, activity diagram, SRS documentations, STD and STR documentation.

(P.S.: Please correct me if i am wrong...)

Edited by Natz (03/17/07 11:58 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums