Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> General Discussion

Pages: 1
bstock

Reged: 09/21/06
Loc: Austin, TX
Help with a mission statement
      #336914 - 10/24/06 12:38 PM

I've been asked to write a mission statement for their Quality Assurance group. For this organization, Quality Assurance does mean both QA and QC functions.

I've done a lot of research on many sites looking for examples. Here's what I have so far, and all feedback is tremendously appreciated....

The Mission of Quality Assurance is:
- To help the organization improve software quality by assessing the quality of software products as well as the quality of the processes used to produce those products.
- To bring to Management’s attention any deficiencies in either the product or the process so that Management can take appropriate action.

Thank you!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich W.Moderator
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: bstock]
      #336918 - 10/24/06 12:54 PM

Too many "qualities" in the first sentence. What about something like this:

To strive towards perfection in the delivery of a software product which is as defect-free as possible. To constantly seek better methods and processes to help insure the delivery of a quality product. Or something around that. It's been my observation that many mission statements are written with a the thesaurus in one hand in order to make it as flowery as possible. Not to my liking. I believe in saying what the mission is in plain language and to the point. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Rich W.]
      #336927 - 10/24/06 01:28 PM

How about:

"To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!"

Too anachronistic?

(I hate Mission Statements. I have yet to read one that actually meant anything. I have yet to write one that wasn't simply a waste of time.)

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #336943 - 10/24/06 02:12 PM

"To increase my test engineering skills by taste testing more beer."

Mission Statement:
"To prove that testing does not inject quality. I will test beer without regard to its level of quality since at some point I will not care."

Edited by JakeBrake (10/24/06 02:22 PM)

lynneM - RIP

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: FL, USA
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #336959 - 10/24/06 03:43 PM

Gotta agree with Joe on this one - Mission statements very rarely mean anything, and agree with Rich's about the wording, and I'll just join Peter in the drinking.

On a more serious not Bstock, what Rich started is pretty good. Look around on the Web at some mission statements and see how they word things and take it from there.

--------------------
Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Yury
Advanced Member

Reged: 12/31/99
Loc: Toronto
      #336972 - 10/24/06 05:58 PM

Quote:

I've been asked to write a mission statement for their Quality Assurance group.

Do you have a mission?
Do you know your mission?

Writing a mission statement is pretty easy when you know your mission .

0fer

Reged: 09/23/06
      #336978 - 10/24/06 07:09 PM

I just saw a nice statement in an article that its link ( http://www.stickyminds.com/s.asp?F=S10294_COL_2 ) was given by ‘Testing Consultant’ in another discussion:
"We provide assessments of product quality and help product owners understand risks."

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: 0fer]
      #337108 - 10/25/06 06:26 AM

bstock,

In thinking things over last night, I decided I shouldn't have responded so cynically. You are being told to perform a task, not to decide if the task should be done.

I apologize.

So, one way to get sample mission statements, is to do a Google search. When I searched for "QA Mission", I got plenty of hits, some of which may help you out (these are sanitized by removing company names):

"We provide assessments of product quality and help product owners understand risks."

"Our QA team’s mission is to continue to provide innovative services by building the best QA practices across technology domains, and to promote an environment where everyone can learn and grow."

"The goal of the QA Team is to provide the finest in Quality software solutions to exceed our customers' expectations. We attain this goal by performing all activities to the best of our capabilities and by being responsive to our customers' requirements. We believe that continuous quality improvement is the foundation for such preformance and allows us to remain competitive. To achieve this, the team members work with commitment in a spirit of cooperative endeavor."

"The Quality Assurance mission is to provide our customers with the highest possible level of consumer protection for the full-range of merchandise offered by our orgainzation worldwide."

"Total commitment to quality and customer satisfaction programs are the key factors for the success of any organization. Our company believes in providing high-quality deliverables through its "Quality Assurance" and "Quality Process" programs.

"Our company has always given due importance to testing. The 200+ strength of the QA team is committed to its wide customer base to ensure high degree of quality output. To ensure quality in every phase of the project life cycle, the QA team of each project is involved right from the project kick-off stage.

The Quality Process team at our company has a well-defined “Quality Management System. These processes are specifically designed to cater to the offshore projects we undertake. These processes have been time tested with our past and present projects and reflect the experience that we have gained while executing them. The Quality Process team, through its regular auditing process, ensures that these processes are strictly adhered to during the course of the Software Development Life Cycle.

The “Software Project Management Plan“, prepared for every project, details the processes specific to the project."

"The QA Mission: To assure that all data delivered is of known quantity and quality which meets the needs and objectives of the client."

You could also vary the search terms to perhaps come up with more appropriate results, depending on your industry and specific needs.

Best of luck.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

bstock

Reged: 09/21/06
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #337115 - 10/25/06 06:49 AM

To all, thank you very much for your help!

I have done many Google searches with various terminologies, and have seen many of the statements listed above. And thanks to Rich for your suggestions....they are good! The challenge is piecing something together for this org.

And no offense taken to the comments about mission statements in general. I do agree with you all (although I would change "beer" to "wine"...). Lucky for me that the Tech Support Manager created a mission statement for their group, so now we all get to do so. I must thank person at some point in the future!

Thanks!

Betsy

MarvinMathai

Reged: 10/27/06
Loc: Unyworld
      #337761 - 10/27/06 09:49 AM

Well, I would suggest a simple, crisp and clear one.And please please do not wory, if your mission statement matches another company's.. Perfection is something that everyone looks for..! U could go with a statement like.. "To Assure quality to the maximum possible level with the most optimal resources".

--------------------
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: MarvinMathai]
      #337762 - 10/27/06 09:57 AM

Marvin, please take this smiley as cynically intended...

Quote:

... "To Assure quality to the maximum possible level with the most optimal resources".

In other words, state something for which you cannot possibly be held accountable.

MarvinMathai

Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: JakeBrake]
      #337893 - 10/29/06 05:21 AM

Well, I think its important to be accountable for what you do. And a mission, for any concern or department is something that is never met, but keeps going on and on..

--------------------
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

Yury
Advanced Member

#337895 - 10/29/06 06:25 AM

Quote:

And a mission, for any concern or department is something that is never met, but keeps going on and on..

Sometimes I had a mission statement alligned with a real mission.
It's very benefitial.

MarvinMathai

Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Yury]
      #337897 - 10/29/06 07:12 AM

Good evening,
missions statements are always aligned to real missions. Its just that it may not be attained by one person, but its the contribution that matters.

A more definite one, they say is what an objective is.

--------------------

JakeBrake

#337898 - 10/29/06 08:02 AM

They can be good if they are measurable and establish accountability.

Yury
Advanced Member

#337905 - 10/29/06 09:30 AM

Quote:

missions statements are always aligned to real missions.

I would love to live in your world.

JakeBrake

Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: Yury]
      #337906 - 10/29/06 09:59 AM

http://www.toolpack.com/mission.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_planning
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/MissionStmts.HTM
http://www.motorage.com/motorage/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=367138

Betsy, more opining...

I would suggest that the above fits better as a vison statement. I might alter as your statement as follows.

Quote:

The Mission of Quality Assurance is:
- To help the organization improve software quality by assessing the quality of software products as well as the quality of the processes used to produce those products.

Quality Assurance Vision

To promote product quality and organizational quality ownership through well-defined measurable processes and practices of which, measurement will feed continuous process improvement.

Quality Assurance Mission
(all the bullet points here that support the vision, state the values and provide a framework of accountability).

Rich W.Moderator
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: Help with a mission statement [Re: JakeBrake]
      #338027 - 10/30/06 07:02 AM

Examples of good mission statemets:

1.) Our challenge is to holisticly re-engineer ethical leadership and continue to objectively develop mission-critical strategic theme areas in order to dramatically streamline economically sound content to set us apart from the competition.

2.) We interactively fashion high standards in action items as well as to competently provide access to process-centric metrics while continuing to collaboratively promote highly efficient synergy while striving for technical leadership.

3.) We build trust and teamwork to synergistically engineer cross functional synergy so that we can deliver the kind of results on the bottom line that our investors expect and deserve.

Want to find one for yourself? http://www.wilsonsathome.com/mission_statement_gen.asp

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich W., AJ, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18852

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums