Downloads

Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
suvarna maruthi

Reged: 07/23/04
Loc: Hyderabad
Depth and Breadth Test
      #313441 - 07/24/04 12:10 AM

Please Explain what is Depth, breadth Test. with any Scenarios.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tybon

Reged: 07/09/04
Re: Depth and Breadth Test
      #313442 - 07/26/04 02:04 AM

I think they apply to usability testing. For example, testing the arrangement of a menu system: you want to determine how many overall choices to present to the user (breadth) vs. how many layers of sub-choices each choice contains (depth).

KMandar

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: Mumbai
Re: Depth and Breadth Test
      #313443 - 07/26/04 02:45 AM

Integration testing can proceed in a number of different ways, which can be broadly characterised as top down or bottom up. In top down integration testing the high level control routines are tested first, possibly with the middle level control structures present only as stubs. Subprogram stubs were presented in Section 2 as incomplete subprograms which are only present to allow the higher level control routines to be tested. Thus a menu driven program may have the major menu options initially only present as stubs, which merely announce that they have been successfully called, in order to allow the high level menu driver to be tested.

Top down testing can proceed in a depth-first or a breadth-first manner. For depth-first integration each module is tested in increasing detail, replacing more and more levels of detail with actual code rather than stubs. Alternatively breadth-first would proceed by refining all the modules at the same level of control throughout the application. In practice a combination of the two techniques would be used. At the initial stages all the modules might be only partly functional, possibly being implemented only to deal with non-erroneous data. These would be tested in breadth-first manner, but over a period of time each would be replaced with successive refinements which were closer to the full functionality. This allows depth-first testing of a module to be performed simultaneously with breadth-first testing of all the modules.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums