Quality Engineering >> Quality Methodologies

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mholey

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Bangalore
Setting up QA & Testing Process from Scratch
      #299423 - 06/22/05 05:21 AM

HI All,

I am new this group, I joined my current Company as testing Team Lead. As this is a first experience for me I don't know from excatly I should start? Here it is the starting of Testing & QA activities. My managers r expecting from me to setup a good QA Processes as well as the starting of Testing Processes also. Ya there is a long term plan for CMM levels too, so plz suggest me the best things that I should apply.

[ 06-22-2005, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: mholey ]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ainars
Advanced Member

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Riga, Latvia
Re: Setting up QA & Testing Process from Scratch
      #299424 - 06/22/05 08:07 AM

You got no experience in Testing & QA, neither the company do, am I correct?
Well I suggest find (hire) someone who does:). Perhaps you could try to learn it from books, although I dont believe you will understand them unless have any experience. You may also implement QA process, including testing by some standards, for example IEEE, however it may result in too much bureaucracy that your manager dont actually want even if he dont know it yet [Smile]
I suggest you to start with testing the product that company creates by yourself and by analysing the way the developers work (SDLC if you want).

Rebecca1

Reged: 01/07/04
Loc: FL
      #299425 - 06/22/05 10:16 AM

I agree with Ainars. At the very least you will need consultants to get you started.

Rebecca1

#299426 - 06/22/05 10:46 AM

I wanted to explain a little about advising you to have a consultant.

If you were the team lead of developers and there was no experience for developing an application, you would need experts on the subject matter.

Quality assurance and testing, quality control are specific skill sets. Learning quality assurance or testing from a book is not unlike learning a coding language from a book. You need real experience to make it work.

PeterNairn
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/22/01
Loc: United Kingdom
      #299427 - 06/23/05 12:04 AM

Manish, you say what experience you don't have, but not what experience you DO have. I assume that your company hired you because they saw something that made them believe you could do the job - what was that? That is your starting point to build on. If you try to gain all the knowledge you think you need from day one, then your brain will overload.

For my first job in QA, I had no knowledge of QA (or didn't think I had), I was a Project Manager who was interested in doing QA. I quickly was able to apply my existing skills in a different way to start doing what the company wanted. As I progressed, I was able to then do what the company needed as opposed to what they thought they wanted and I realised that my with my past experience I actually knew more than I thought I did.

As far as gaining the knowledge I needed, I talked to people - my company wouldn't hire a consultant, so I searched out people who knew a lot more than I did, picked their brains, asked stupid questions, made mistakes, learnt from them. Your company needs to be (made) aware that you are on a steep learning curve and you need help and not to expect too much from you from day one. Try to map out your learning requirements and discuss them with your manager so that s/he knows a) that you are aware you need to learn and b) that you are going to do something abaout it.

And the very best of luck. I moved into QA 20 years ago and I have enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.

veena_linux

Loc: Hyderabad
      #299428 - 06/23/05 10:56 PM

Dear peternairn

Am very much impressed and inspired by ur learning spirit.In fact I am in the same boat as u were.Just budding up as a quality person.

Just wanted to know if u could help me with the study and give me a kick start..

hope you could be my guide throughout my career in quality.So expecting an initiative material and guidance from u.

veena_linux

#299429 - 06/23/05 11:40 PM

Hello Pete

I made an attempt to reply to. but it seems that u have disabled the private message reception from me.

i mean i am not permitted to send u a private meassage

PeterNairn
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/22/01
Loc: United Kingdom
      #299430 - 06/24/05 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by veena_linux:
Hello Pete

I made an attempt to reply to. but it seems that u have disabled the private message reception from me.

i mean i am not permitted to send u a private meassage

Veena,
See the follow up private message I sent

Pete

veena_linux

#299431 - 07/03/05 11:15 PM

Hai Pete

Can I expect any sort of further help from you.I am yet to start off my journey.

Rabia

Reged: 06/17/05
Loc: Pakistan
      #299432 - 07/04/05 04:19 AM

Hello Peternairn,
i m also new in QA world. & this is my first ever experience. i need help from u. as my company have no proper QA departement so there is no senior QA person in my company to guide me...... all i have to do by myself.

i need to know abt star team which i have to use. do u have any idea abt that then plz help me in that.
also if u give me some link for reading gd material on SQA then plz forward that to me .
i try to send u private message but it's not permitted.

waiting for ur reply

veena_linux

#299433 - 07/04/05 09:10 PM

Hello Rabia

Good to see a new amigo sailing in the same boat.
Please do mail me if u have a any good material.
I will send any links if I have any.

jimhazen

Reged: 01/31/02
Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
      #299434 - 07/06/05 11:22 AM

I suggest reading some books. First, is "Testing Computer Software" by Cem Kaner et al. Second, "How to Break Software" by James Whittaker. Third, "Managing the Testing Process" by Rex Black. Fourth, "Effective Software Testing: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Testing" by Elfriede Dustin. Fifth, "Software Testing In The Real World" by Ed Kit.

This should give you a well rounded "introduction" to Software Testing and QA. After that then you can start to plan how to attain the CMMI levels. And in a few years you will be ready to go for it. This is not something that cannot occur overnight.

Jim

veena_linux

#299435 - 07/06/05 10:26 PM

Hai Jim

Thanks for the response. But i felt it would be better if i make it clear that i work in Linux field.I cant use any of the tools in testing for testing the operating system.Its all manual..
Just wanted to know that the books u suggested, do they deal with windows testing.

DSquared

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #299436 - 07/07/05 05:10 AM

Veena,

The books Jim suggests are good generalized books on testing. They are not at all tool or operating system specific.

Darrel

Walen

Reged: 05/09/01
      #299437 - 07/07/05 05:32 AM

I absolutely concur with Jim's suggestions. They address fundamental ideas and concepts. In addition, I'd suggest Jerry Weinberg's books as learning tools to broaden how to think about computing and software in general.

Good luck.

Rebecca1

#299438 - 07/08/05 05:00 AM

It takes time and study to master these tools.

Quality organizations will list books as a part of the common body of knowledge. In addition, attend as many seminars as possible. There may be a local chapter meeting on a regular basis.

rishi_m

Reged: 05/25/05
Loc: Mumbai
      #299439 - 07/28/05 04:07 AM

Give me your email address; I got lots of QC related documents which can be helpful to you all Newbie.

My Email is "rishi416@rediffmail.com"
Regards,
Rishi

1mantestin

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: North Jersey
      #299440 - 08/10/05 08:21 AM

Hi Guys
I'd like to chime in and join these newbies...I just started a job as a QA Mgr...I know testing and QA just haven't managed in past. And I'm supposed to start a Testing & QA dept...I'm hanging out w the developers at present to learn their ways. I Just don't know where/how to start.

DSquared

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #299441 - 08/10/05 08:50 AM

Tongue in cheek response - start hanging out with a better crowd.

Serious response - do some research into what exists in the company today. There may be nothing, there may be something. Observe how business is done today. Take your time. DON'T start dictating changes after a week on the job.

If nothing exists, or if you have to build something, build slowly. There is something to be said about throwing someone in the deep end and telling them to learn how to swim or drown, but it will be much easier on everyone, including yourself, if you stick your foot in the water one toe at a time.

Listen to the guys with experience in your company - they have a lot of knowledge and corporate history, but also filter that input with a ton of common sense. There will be nuggets of good stuff you can glean from them. My experience is that the guys in the trenches usually know what needs to be done to get the job done right, but they are frustrated by overly burdensome procedures, organizations, politics, etc.

If someone volunteers to help you build the process (probably out of enlightened self-interest), by all means take them up on the offer. It will be easier for you to edit something than to come up with it from scratch.

When you write processes/procedures/manuals, etc, keep them lean and mean. Keep it short, to the point, and usable. These should not be dissertations on the QA Process.

Probably the very first process I would put into place would be a feedback mechanism, because you know that the first procedure you really put out will have tons of changes recognized by the folks that will have to use them. Be ready for it.

Oh, and make sure everyone knows that there are differences between QA and test, and what those differences are. In other words, educate.

michaeljfModerator
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
      #299442 - 08/10/05 09:56 AM

The problem with coming in as a QA Tester AND a Manager is that you are looking at two different skill sets. I am using Tester here just as a deliniation, nothing should be inferred or assumed by my use of the word. :-)

As a Tester you need a background in understanding Test Methodologies, Processes and Procedures, some programming languages to understand what the developers are giving you, and also some technical experience to be able to debug the tests you run.

As a Manager you are looking to do all that a Tester does in addition to be able to communicate to Management the results of the tests, plan the tests out to a higher level, assure your department has the skills needed to achieve test objective, set those objectives, as well as regular administative work.

The point earlier about reading books is well taken, getting some knowledge in the field IS essential; once you have it then you need to apply it to the projects and code you are working on. Sure people can guide you, but its really up to YOU to take the time to look for reference material, read it and understand it, then apply it to your own use.

I've been doing this for over 10 years now, not long compared to many people who post here, but I came in with no real training in QA and have spent time reading and studying. Although coming in from Customer Support also helped, as I had an idea of what the Customers did with the software I could advocate for them. I got jobs at larger companies where I would discuss methodology with people who have done it before, and with Development Managers who often have an idea of the whole process and can help you hook in what you need to do.

To be effective you not only need to be able to understand what you do, but to communicate it as well. Make your boss understand your value, explain it, and often defend what you need to do in case you want to avoid shipping bad code and the company is trying to make a date. Darrel has it right, you need to educate, not only yourself but the people above and around you.

- M

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, michaeljf, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums