Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Automated Testing

Pages: 1
FrankH
Unregistered

AS400 Testing
      #275129 - 03/06/00 02:03 AM

My Company is planning to implement automated testing tools on our AS400 system.
We have looked a WinRunner / Director and QACentre / QARun, together with TestBench400, a tool specific to AS400 systems.
At the moment, Mercury seem to be ahead of the others, but we have some concerns about there ability to work with terminal emulator. (We run Client Access 5250 Version 3.0 Release 2.0)
If anybody has experience of automated test tools in an AS400 environment, or can suggest alternative tools to look at, we'd be very grateful.
Thanking you all in anticipation,
Frank.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John J. Miller

Reged: 02/11/00
Re: AS400 Testing
      #275130 - 03/06/00 07:36 AM

Segue's Silk also supports AS400, but I have no experience with it. Silk can also support testing with character-based terminal emulators.

John

Yury
Advanced Member

Reged: 12/31/99
Loc: Toronto
      #275131 - 03/07/00 12:14 AM

At my previous job WinRunner was used by Windows and by AS/400 teams.
They were happy with AS/400 + WinRunner combination.
I don't remember which terminal emulator was used.
Yury

Elfriede DustinModerator

Reged: 12/28/99
Loc: Washington, DC
      #275132 - 03/07/00 05:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FrankH:
If anybody has experience of automated test tools in an AS400 environment, or can suggest alternative tools to look at, we'd be very grateful.
Frank.

Frank,
Here is an entire website on AS400 testing http://www.aig.co.uk/AS400-Testing.htm
HTH,
Elfriede

------------------
Elfriede Dustin
Senior Author "Automated Software Testing"
www.autotestco.com

sbhayani

Reged: 03/13/00
      #275133 - 03/23/00 02:08 PM

I have used the WR tool for th elast two years very good.

quote:
Originally posted by FrankH:
My Company is planning to implement automated testing tools on our AS400 system.
We have looked a WinRunner / Director and QACentre / QARun, together with TestBench400, a tool specific to AS400 systems.
At the moment, Mercury seem to be ahead of the others, but we have some concerns about there ability to work with terminal emulator. (We run Client Access 5250 Version 3.0 Release 2.0)
Frank.

sbhayani

Reged: 03/13/00
      #275134 - 03/23/00 02:16 PM

I have used WinRunner for the last two years to test AS 400 Applications. We had Client Access 5250 emulation. Recorded over 1000 scripts. Very flexible. But needs a lot of preparation depending on your environment. Had 10 licenses and training for 10 days. You might want to get more consulting time if you have a big team and a complicated environement. Our management was very thrilled and happy with the performance and progress.

Hint: If you buy dont get the package course training. Get it customised for you environement.

robin_jacob

Reged: 01/31/02
Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
      #275135 - 01/31/02 08:32 AM

Dear Mr. SBhayani,

We also have the similiar requirement.Since you have used winrunner for AS/400 testing, can you please let me know what are the kind of testing we can do using this tool and to automate the testing process, what kind of settings are required in winrunner.This information would be of great help for us.Also please tell us what is terminal emulator and why it is used with Winrunner?

quote:
Originally posted by sbhayani:
I have used WinRunner for the last two years to test AS 400 Applications. We had Client Access 5250 emulation. Recorded over 1000 scripts. Very flexible. But needs a lot of preparation depending on your environment. Had 10 licenses and training for 10 days. You might want to get more consulting time if you have a big team and a complicated environement. Our management was very thrilled and happy with the performance and progress.

Hint: If you buy dont get the package course training. Get it customised for you environement.

------------------
Robin

dougrender

Reged: 09/19/01
Loc: Lafayette, CO USA
      #275136 - 01/31/02 02:56 PM

QES has a good tool for AS400. Tool is called "Architect". http://www.qestest.com/QARCH.htm

------------------

Klodge19

Reged: 02/01/02
Loc: Cheshire, CT USA
      #275137 - 02/01/02 07:27 AM

We are vendors of automated test tools. One tool, Architect, tests text-based applications via PC/Emulation-EXTRA, IBM, Rumba, Teemtalk, Reflections, Passport,(emulators supporting HLLAPI (IBM standard High Level Language Application Program Interface. We test AS/400s, Mainframes, VAX, HP/UNIX,RISC6000, PC-developed applications such as those developed in Mainframe Express and MicroFocus. Architect requires no scripting language. It builds models of the steps (process) the user went through to create the test manually. Begin using the Architect from requirments,test planning, prototyping, capture/replay/discrepancy processing, test data management and generation, reporting, auditing and tracking defects. Use as much or as little as you wish - grow into as you move forward. All skill levels can be successful creating baseline testcases and actually use them to test with almost instantly. Maintenance nightmare is eliminated. Please visit our website www.qestest.com. Click on Text-based Product Tour to see a presentation. Or feel free to call me at 800-992-4484. I'd be happy to discuss in more detail the power of the Architect automated test tool solution.
Kathie Lodge

quote:
Originally posted by Elfriede Dustin:
Frank,
Here is an entire website on AS400 testing http://www.aig.co.uk/AS400-Testing.htm
HTH,
Elfriede

------------------

testgeek

Reged: 02/13/01
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
      #275138 - 02/01/02 07:35 AM

One other trick I used was to grab the data from the physical files using MS-Access/ODBC. This might be useful for backend data verification without going into Client Access 5250 sessions and might make some of the automation easier.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Elfriede Dustin, AJ, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5195

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums