Links
Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Software Process Improvement

Pages: 1
reeavees79

Reged: 06/21/04
Typical SQA Activities
      #247051 - 11/16/04 11:22 PM

What would be the typical SQA activities for the day?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M.Böll

Reged: 04/07/03
Loc: Bonn,NRW, Germany
Re: Typical SQA Activities
      #247052 - 11/17/04 01:31 AM

First at the day:
get a cup of coffee,
then read and post on this board. Get a second cup of coffee. Read and answer mails. Then I check the bug-tracking tool. (certainly: third cup coffee)
Some times i manage it to write test by my self (not without a fourth cup of coffee), but most of my time i only planing and calculate test, evolve new test strategies or coordinate the roll out of new qs tools and manage the pilot-projects of this tools.
The most of my day i'm on the phone (yes of course with a new cup of coffee) and "fight" with the managment, the leader of the development, the leader of the service or with the qm leader of the corporate group.
But i think this is only so, because i'm the leader of a new qa department. One of my intention is to build a new qa department starting by zero in this company.
Earlier (when i was a tester) my time was splited like this way
30% testing, 30% design and coding automatic test, 20 % search new way to test and 20 % dialog with the programmers (not without a cup of coffee)

Yes i'm trinking to much coffee [Wink]

Daniel_SModerator

Reged: 10/09/01
Loc: Bucharest, ROMANIA
      #247053 - 11/17/04 07:34 AM

M.Boll,

I just found one good way to drink less coffees (less than 5 cups): I'm staying 50-75% of my time in meetings (where I don't drink coffee, because I'm not allowed to smoke).

byronMse

Reged: 12/07/03
Loc: ShangHai
      #247054 - 11/21/04 02:10 AM

The typical SQA activities:
1. Switch on the computer and check the inbox, find some important mails to reply.
2. Review many documents, include the development and management documents. At the same time, SQA should give their remarks out to the author.
3. Talk to the leader of development and test.
4. The most important, don't let you boss ignore you effort.
5. Coffee, Coffee and coffee.

Freme

Reged: 11/22/04
      #247055 - 11/25/04 03:18 AM

Being part of review..thats ok, defining processes thats ok, but usually i dont have much work load daily and that really makes me frustrated. All I do is keep on doing R&D but that also is too tiring. Tell me , anyone, i am working as a dedicated QA person to a single project. It was a one time effort that we defined the initial QA guidelined etc but now what. Unless the project comes to an FTR and I start reviewing i am sitting doing nothing. What should I be doing.. i realllly need that advice to stop wasting my time in frustration. BTW i am also not very old in the field of QA.
Please excuse me for my not so good english or if i am wasting your time...

Rao Kamran Anwar

Reged: 07/16/04
Loc: Lahore
      #247056 - 12/28/04 10:33 PM

hi,

can someone tell me abt QA audits?
What is a QA Audit?

Regards,
Rao

Freme

#247057 - 12/28/04 11:36 PM

Well the exact definition may vary from standard to standard but usually a QA Audit is a systematic and planned activity to objectively evaluate the implementation of processes and procedures against certain quality guidelines/standards/frameworks.
In terms of CMM/CMMI you will find equivalent terms assessments/evaluation and appraisals(specifically CMMI).
You can refer to http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/presentations/scampi-family.pdf
for types of appraisals.
HTH

[ 12-29-2004, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: freme ]

neill_mccarthy

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: London, UK
      #247058 - 12/29/04 01:19 AM

As freme says, however the QA Audit could feasiably focus on only the Quality Assurance process it's self and the artifacts it produces or has historically claimed to produce. In other companies I have worked in the QA audits have also covered all processes and would actually have been better referred to as Audits.
It is contextual.

Rao Kamran Anwar

#247059 - 12/29/04 01:47 AM

well thanks for replies!
an issue that i need to be explained is in an ISO certified company which is following very few quality processes,
What may be the procedures (usually followed) to perform a QA audit i.e., activities to accomplish QA audit.

neill_mccarthy

#247060 - 12/29/04 04:22 AM

Rao,
still not quite sure what you are after and in the case of the ISO certified organisation a good starting place is the compliance to the ISO standard they are certified to and how pervasive that is within the organisation.
Regards,
Neill

Rao Kamran Anwar

#247061 - 12/29/04 05:13 AM

Neill,

basically i m preparing for an interview in which i am expecting a question to be asked that what sort of activities u perform in QA audit in ur company and how?
I have no idea abt this at all [Frown] .

neill_mccarthy

#247062 - 12/29/04 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rao Kamran Anwar:
Neill,

basically i m preparing for an interview in which i am expecting a question to be asked that what sort of activities u perform in QA audit in ur company and how?
I have no idea abt this at all [Frown] .

Well, the best way to answer this is truefully, which is currently you do not do this in your company and so you do not know how - but want to learn and these are the things you would do from the research you have done.
I can tell you how I do them but that is not much use if the interviewer pushes for contextualised and specific examples, which you will not be able to give.
The link given by Freme, earlier, provides a couple of models for how to drive such an activity: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/presentations/scampi-family.pdf

Beyond that the Forum rules, which i suggest you go back and check, state we should not ask or answer interview questions, though you have and we have in this instance.

[ 12-30-2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: neill_mccarthy ]

Freme

#247063 - 12/29/04 10:35 PM

Agreeing to Neil that audit definition may be contextual, but specifically for an ISO point of view your focus will be to make sure the accordance of practices with the QMS available. Also that QMS would be under the compliance to ISO standards. But if you are asked what have "you been doing" in "your" company, you have to tell that simply. Or may be you need to understand ISO standard it self. For that you may refer to
http://praxiom.com/
HTH

Rao Kamran Anwar

#247064 - 12/29/04 11:55 PM

Basically whenever someone puts a query to anybody it has two definite meanings:
• He doesn’t know that stuff.
• He needs to know that.
I think people share their QA knowledge at qaforums.com, with no concern to their intention [Smile] .
Anyway I apologize if I violated any of the codes.

My issue got resolved, thanks to all.

neill_mccarthy

#247065 - 12/30/04 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rao Kamran Anwar:
Basically whenever someone puts a query to anybody it has two definite meanings:
• He doesn’t know that stuff.
• He needs to know that.
I think people share their QA knowledge at qaforums.com, with no concern to their intention [Smile] .
Anyway I apologize if I violated any of the codes.

My issue got resolved, thanks to all.

Rao, actually, in context, the only emperical meaning of any query is that it has been asked. The motivation behind that can be one of the two, or both as they are not mutually exclusive clauses, or neither of the ones suggest. I query can be put to test other peoples knowledge or just to hear views and kill time with no concern for the answer amongst many possible meanings for a query.
Many people who post to these forums do care about the intent behind what people wish to do with the information provided, hence some of the rather "warm" replies sometimes given.
As for rule violation, I was advising you, not telling off so no need to apologise to me, I am also answerable to moderators and admin. I just post a lot, my title confers no powers or importance here [Smile]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Daniel_S, michaeljf, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4084

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums