Downloads

Testing Tools >> HP Functional Testing / Mercury QuickTest Pro / QTP

Pages: 1
Tom Schmidt

Reged: 01/21/04
Loc: Louisville, CO
OCR Text Recognition
      #200843 - 01/21/04 11:24 AM

Has anyone found a good OCR text recognition solution that I can use to extract text from a window? QTP is not able to recognize the text I am trying to verify. I can't use a bitmap verification because the text changes every run (it is actually the current date and time I am trying to verify). Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dinka

Reged: 04/01/01
Re: OCR Text Recognition
      #200844 - 01/23/04 04:40 AM

What kind of text is it? did you try using getvisibletext on a window? what kind of application is it?

Regards,
Dina

prasanna_tr

Reged: 10/06/03
Loc: Atlanta
      #200845 - 01/23/04 05:41 AM

Hi Tom,

Can u be more elobrate on the problem.....Anyway try using "Text output value" option...

Regards,
Prasanna.T.R

Tom Schmidt

Reged: 01/21/04
Loc: Louisville, CO
      #200846 - 01/28/04 01:18 PM

Hi,

The application is based on a toolkit called XVT. Basically a cross platform gui development toolkit. QTP cannot recognize the text areas as text. None of the standard QTP text controls work on the area i.e. text area output, text output value. I think the reason is that there isn't a control there, XVT just emulates the controls by drawing graphics to the screen area. So to QTP it's just one big bitmap.

I can't use bitmap compare for verification in this case because the text on the area of interest changes with every run. It is actually the current date and time, which is what I am trying to verify. The only option I can think of is to capture the bitmap and perform OCR on it to get the text. Then compare the text. Hope this makes sense. Now I just need a good, not to mention cheap, OCR control to perform the recognition. I thought I found one in the Structurise Textract control, but it has a few quirks that I can't work out and can't get the support folks to get back to me.

Thanks,

Tom.

joejoejoe1

Reged: 06/16/04
Loc: New York City
      #200847 - 04/06/05 09:05 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same Text Recognition problem described - but I am using the new StandardSDK_420 emulator provided in embedded Visual C++ 4.

Has anyone found a workaround for the problem of capturing text from a Bitmap when it appears none of the built-in QTP text capture functions are working on the window ?

jbotash
Guru

Reged: 01/19/00
Loc: USA, CA
      #200848 - 04/06/05 10:44 AM

Actually, I had the situation as you've described, working with 16-bit Win application, where the screen is Bitmap. No tool can read the text from it. QTP manages that with Win(....).GetVisibleText. If it is standard (not custom drawing) font, just displayed as Bitmap.
Did you try?
As I know, Text Recognition tools are expensive or not effective.
Also, one my friend did some trick, to get the text from Bitmap - sending this Bitmap to the printer, then print it to file. Looks strange... But it works.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  IanFraser, Rajkumar_Rajangam, thorwath, TReddy, AJ, Tarun Lalwani, mwsrosso 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4544

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums