News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> General Discussion

Pages: 1
qaruler

Reged: 11/01/99
Loc: CA
What is the difference between Waterfall and Incremental Development Process?
      #173753 - 01/28/03 08:54 AM

What are the main differences between the Waterfall and Incremental styles of development process methodologies? Mainly from the viewpoint of delivery of releases to QA and testing of them.

------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
corklad

Reged: 11/26/02
Loc: London, UK
Re: What is the difference between Waterfall and Incremental Development Process?
      #173754 - 01/28/03 09:22 AM

Waterfall

In software engineering, the waterfall model describes a development method that is linear and sequential. Waterfall development has distinct goals for each phase of development. Once a phase of development is completed, the development proceeds to the next phase and there is no turning back.

Incremental Development lets you model a variety of development processes. Instead of modeling your software development as if it were a single effort devoted to inventing a single product, Incremental Development lets you model development as a series of concurrent software projects, each yielding an intermediate product.

This strategy reduces your risk, and permits you to deliver an initial product to your customer earlier.

Characteristic features of the incremental development approach as compared to the waterfall life cycle are:

Features are implemented in consecutive steps (increments) by implementation teams.
Each increment is subdivided into activities e.g. module design, coding, code inspection.
During an increment a team can implement one or several features.
Several implementation teams can work in parallel.
In the incremental development environment there is still the need to measure progress, transition criteria, effectiveness and efficiency as in the waterfall environment, i.e. process metrics are still to be applied.

------------------

digits71

Reged: 01/29/01
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: What is the difference between Waterfall and Incremental Development Process?
      #173755 - 01/28/03 01:50 PM

There are inherent advantages and disadvantages to both methods. The key is to do your research and implement that which best supports your project and company's development methodology.

There are a couple of great articles right now on www.stickyminds.com debating the strengths and weaknesses of each (incremental is also known as iterative, or as XP; eXtreme Programming).

Check it out!

------------------

qanerdinengland

Reged: 11/06/02
Loc: York, North Yorkshire, United ...
      #173756 - 01/29/03 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by qasteve:
What are the main differences between the Waterfall and Incremental styles of development process methodologies? Mainly from the viewpoint of delivery of releases to QA and testing of them.

If you want to know about incremental process, look on the web or this site for "V model."

The waterfall process as I understand it basically means that the process is sequential...requirements -> development -> QA -> release. Generally in a waterfall shop QA sees the software for the first time only after dev is finished with it. Waterfall is terrific for customer control (especially if you have exceedingly demanding customers as we do) but it's lousy for QA. I prefer the V-model myself.

------------------

Daniel_S

Reged: 10/09/01
Loc: Bucharest, ROMANIA
      #173757 - 01/29/03 03:55 AM

Some personal considerations:

Considering the different impact on QA team, Incremental model:
- does require more QA resources;
- involve QA (testing) earlier in the SDLC;
- some test cases/scripts could be re-used;
- defect tracking flow should be adapted in order to track bugs across releases during SDLS, which is not required in the Waterfall model. Here a tool is (almost)a must;
-responsibilities should be clearly defined, because of parallel work;
- release entrance criteria (to QA) should be precise, for same reason;

Most of this are true for any model, but in Waterfall you can (have to) live without them...

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
... Not even me.

Jeanj

Reged: 02/25/00
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
      #173758 - 01/29/03 09:17 AM

How close to this discussion might the following discussion be? http://www.qaforums.com/cgi-bin/forums/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum39&topic=000145

Similar type concepts?

------------------
-- Jean

You know your medical benefits are being reduced when your hospital bed has a coin operated call button.

Drone73

Reged: 03/20/02
Loc: Ireland
      #173759 - 01/29/03 09:43 AM

I would guess there very few companies using a pure Waterfall Model. A pure waterfall probably means vereything from requirements to resources has to be complete known before the start which is a little unrealistic.

I really love the iteratice process as requirements (such that they exist) don't exactely translate to whats designed & that doesn't match what developed. I also love writting tests for a product based on the way early development builds operate because some functions not included in design docs. Without these challenges my job would clearly be too easy.

------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich W., AJ, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5427

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums