Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> General Discussion

Pages: 1
Sesame

Reged: 01/30/01
Percentage of Testing Calculation ??
      #158645 - 03/22/01 04:05 AM

Hi,

Does anybody have any figures relating to what percentage of the project should be allocated to testing.

Are there any stndards or industry "rules of thumb" to adhere to.

Does anybody have any figures or examples they use themselves ?

Regards

-Sesame

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mb100

Reged: 03/08/01
Loc: India
Re: Percentage of Testing Calculation ??
      #158646 - 03/22/01 04:33 AM

The thumb rule in our organization is 16% of the total project time.

Mind you this percentage is for independent testing and NOT the unit testing done by the developers.

mb

Sesame

#158647 - 03/22/01 04:53 AM

That's excellent mb, I had given management a ball park figure of 15 %.

Is there any refernece to back up this with.

-Sesame

punekar (Suresh)

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: Pune, Maharashtra, India
      #158648 - 03/22/01 06:17 AM

It would depend on what kind of tests you are needed to carry out. Lets say you come with a requirement that stresses on comprehensive unit testing, you are looking at nearly 50-60% or more of the development time. If you come armed with a set of system-level plans, then of course, estimates change again. In my experience, it takes upto 20-25% of the development time, at the end of the development cycle.

Sesame

#158649 - 03/22/01 06:57 AM

But wouldn't that be classified as part of the development stage.

I need an indication for system testing,UAT,Useablilty,security etc.. carried out by the QA department only.

Govind

Loc: Pune, Maharastra, India
      #158650 - 03/22/01 07:29 PM

I worked in one telecom project - the requirements used to be inconsistent/incorrect every time we came new release. The point, I want to make is. It all depends on the complexity of the project. In the above case of telecom - our test efforts were nearly 60% but still we used to feel that we missed some faults.

I am of the view that not all applications belong to "Complex" category..like the telecom I said.

If I take banking, insurence, stock ... kind of applications then the test efforts need to be much higher - might be 60% plus ..

the whole idea being.

The QA dept. has to gain confidence in the product.

In some situations where unit test was done / reviews done .. I mean all artifacts were QCd proerly then test efforts could be less.

But I cannot see that day? no code comes to QA with proper unit test/ reviews ....

[This message has been edited by Govind (edited 03-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Govind (edited 03-22-2001).]

josej

Reged: 03/22/01
Loc: Valencia, Spain
      #158651 - 03/23/01 12:36 AM

Recently we questioned a testing consultant about this and his answer was that they consider necesary to dedicate between 15-20% of the effort in desingning test plans and develop test cases for all different test (unit, integration, validation, regresion). Of course this was for a general application, and it could grow with its degree of complexity and the relailability requested.

Sesame

#158652 - 03/23/01 01:02 AM

How would this figure change if you were only testing websites ??

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
      #158653 - 03/23/01 04:35 AM

I've seen releases where the testing effort was much more than the development effort.

A relatively quick change in the setup of some web servers required extensive testing - functional, performance and stress testing.

I really believe this is one of those questions whose only answer is "It depends".

What if the question were - "What should the percentage of time spent Developing be relative to the time spent Marketing?" Same answer - "It depends".

-joe

rstens

Reged: 08/10/00
Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
      #158654 - 03/23/01 09:30 AM

I think that going with a rule of thumb to determine how much testing is needed is pretty silly.

What ever happened with a risk analysis upfront to find out where to should focus your attention? As the previous posts show there is a range of 10%-60% of time spent on testing. What makes up the differences?

I can tell you out of my own experience that highly complex (many)business rules, calculations etc, multi-tier solutions, large dev. group, new technology, inexperienced developers, inactive/non responsive users, budget pressures, timeline pressures all contribute to risk and therefore to risk mitigating actions (testing, qa, reviews etc.).

Explaining your testing requirement in relation to the risks will then put the ball back in management's court. If they decide to cut back on testing, they will hurt somewhere. But it's their choice and prevent them from turning around and blaming you.

Roland

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
      #158655 - 03/23/01 03:05 PM

I agree with 'RSTENS' above. As you can see from all the posts, the percentages vary. These variances should represent a red flag to you. Whether those percentages were what should have been allocated is a different story. Perhaps the answer to the question shouldn't be based on a percentage - but on real project estimation and risk analyses. Many factors must be looked at - far more than what has been tossed out in this thread of discussion. Certainly, one big part of the equation must be the type of application. If the app-under-test is cardiac-pacemaker software or an app that lands aircraft automatically, I would expect huge amounts of testing. Keep checking this thread as I am certain that someone will post some links to good reference material.

Also, give management a list of risks to play with where they can feel more empowerment regarding resource and schedule and, can help guide what testing needs to be conducted. Get management approval on any test plans. This puts the accountability where it should be.

[This message has been edited by jpensyl (edited 03-23-2001).]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich W., AJ, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums