Downloads

Testing Tools >> Micro Focus/Borland/Segue SilkTest

Pages: 1
gram

Reged: 10/04/01
Loc: NC, United States
Java Script instead of 4Test
      #688261 - 10/12/11 05:35 AM

I was thinking about replacing the scripting language (4Test/OA) with Java Script so the framework can support all the browser including Chrome/Safari and to also support different environment i.e GWT etc.

Is this a good idea?

Right now we need to run against FF 5 or 7 and we have to wait for the next ST release. so I assumed Java scripting can handle all of these issues.

--------------------
-gram

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gram

Reged: 10/04/01
Loc: NC, United States
Re: Java Script instead of 4Test [Re: gram]
      #688484 - 10/13/11 08:51 PM

well, I got the reply from ST support...I am posting so others can benefit

You have enquired if it is possible to use the Javascript language as an alternative to 4Test; so the framework can support other browsers such as Google Chrome and Safari, as well as emerging technologies such as the Google Web Toolkit.

Unfortunately I can only confirm that this concept is really not feasible. SilkTest does not have any built-in support for Javascript, so you will receive multiple compilation errors and will be unable to execute a script that contains only Javascript code.

We are expecting to see preliminary support for Google Chrome introduced with the release of SilkTest 2011; although I cannot confirm this for certain, this release will be available to customers at the end of the month. I am aware that Safari support has been requested by other customers; but can only say that it is being considered by Product Management. I don't expect Safari support to make it into the 2011 release.

In regards to Google Web Toolkit(GWT) - as it is not explicitly mentioned in the Release Notes, GWT is not officially supported by SilkTest 2010 R2; however when tested in-house the Open Agent was able to identify GWT controls as DOM elements on the webpage, and successfully replay actions against basic GWT controls such as Pushbuttons, Checkboxes and Textfields.

More complex GWT controls such as Grids, Menus and Treeviews will be more challenging due to their complexity, and the fact that they are not fully recognised by SilkTest. One should therefore expect only low level events such as Mouse moves and TypeKeys to be recorded against them; but it may be possible to improve object recognition and coverage of these controls through Class-Mapping, or the creation of new derived classes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; or whether this support incident can now be closed.

Best Regards,

--------------------
-gram

leonmanish

Reged: 12/06/12
Re: Java Script instead of 4Test [Re: gram]
      #719952 - 12/06/12 02:56 AM

Do we able to test GWT application with silkteat 13.0.
Is locator is stable on it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, jamesso, DJGray, David Reed 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2864

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums