Miscellaneous Forums >> General Discussion

Pages: 1
FelixK

Reged: 01/19/03
Loc: Victoria
Test automation environment
      #719245 - 11/04/12 07:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I tried to find on forums some information, but my attempt was unsuccessful.

I am trying to write document that should justify test automation and one of point is a requirement for separate test environment which should contain test automation framework.

So, I have to justify why separate test environment required for test automation framework. It should be something that can be understood by senior management in company and prevent some possible "political games" around it from other test teams or environment management teams.
Currently, Test environments are shared between UAT, SIT ans system testing.

Thanks,
Felix.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Squamry

Reged: 01/22/07
Loc: UK
Re: Test automation environment [Re: FelixK]
      #719285 - 11/05/12 05:58 AM

Then I don't understand the question. Surely any automation framework must be deployable across all environments?

--------------------
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Test automation environment [Re: Squamry]
      #719287 - 11/05/12 06:04 AM

Quote:

Then I don't understand the question. Surely any automation framework must be deployable across all environments?

I think the point is that automation works best in a non-shared environment - as does most testing.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

SimonFromLeeds

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Leeds
Re: Test automation environment [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #719331 - 11/05/12 02:43 PM

Felix, what topics/justifications have you planned to use so far?

IanFraser

Reged: 07/11/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #719337 - 11/05/12 08:02 PM

I have been doing this for a while now and I have never had an enviroment just for automation. I have run automation across all the test enviroments here as well as training.

The only enviroment you need to stay away from is production.

--------------------
You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Squamry

Reged: 01/22/07
Loc: UK
      #719369 - 11/06/12 05:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the point is that automation works best in a non-shared environment - as does most testing.

If getting funding for new environments is a struggle then making the automation work on other environments may still be the best way forward. If I was going to argue for dedicated environments now I would go down the VM route for both Development and Test. It can be difficult to justify the costs of physical environments but the flexibility provided by a well managed virtual set up can usually provide the necessary push.

We've also recently experimented with Amazon web services to provide on demand test environments. Depending on how much usage you will make of your automation this may provide a very cheap way to get a dedicated set up.

--------------------
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Test automation environment [Re: Squamry]
      #719371 - 11/06/12 05:58 AM

Quote:

If I was going to argue for dedicated environments now I would go down the VM route for both Development and Test.

Agreed!

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

SimonFromLeeds

#719374 - 11/06/12 06:33 AM

We use Amazon web services (AWS) for all our environments (including hosted production). Much up-time and much cheapness. I would recommend them to anyone.

FelixK

Re: Test automation environment [Re: SimonFromLeeds]
      #719402 - 11/06/12 02:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for replays.

Test environment that exist is used for UAT, Integration and Performance testing. Currently all projects making deployments into the same shared test environment. Automation should cover around 80% of regression testing which is done currently manually across all projects. Few applications within environment are core applications and any deployment/manual testing for any project will effect it, so while running automation it will be interrupted/stopped/impacted by testing/deployment for projects. There is no possibility to run end-to-end automation without any sort of impact from different test teams. And the worst thing is that testing not properly scheduled/synchronized This is my first point which I'm trying to justify.
From perspective of hardware we don't have any problem. All DBs are on physical machines and All application servers are VMs.

Thanks,
Felix.

SimonFromLeeds

#719404 - 11/06/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

And the worst thing is that testing not properly scheduled/synchronized This is my first point which I'm trying to justify.

So the manual testing can restore/rollback/release whilst you're trying to run the automated regression pack? I'd explore the option of running the automated regression pack out of hours, would that overcome your concurrent use problem? Explore it, even if just to rule it out.

Your essential argument is that the shared env isn't stable during a test run, therefore it invalidates test runs. I'd aim to quantify the number of restore/rollback/releases that have happened over a period of time (eg per day in the last month). Then explain how long an automated regression pack run takes. How many disrupted automated regression pack runs you've had in the last month. Then model out the strengths and weaknesses of a separate env, and doing automated regression pack runs out of hours.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

FelixK

Re: Test automation environment [Re: SimonFromLeeds]
      #719407 - 11/06/12 05:39 PM

Hi SimonFromLeeds,

Thanks for replay.

I checked time frame for redeployment of release or restore of original state of environment. It can take from two to five days for environment team and it depends on factors like does testing for any project still go and when new build will be available. There are few overs factors that involve some "politics" around core applications.
I'm looking for automatic redeployment/restore/rollback for environment as part of Automation Test Framework.

BTW, The first instance for automation is 95% of regression test cases (about 3000) which is required for any project to make sure that core functionality is still run OK.

Thanks,
Felix.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich W., AJ, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4616

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums