Home
BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> QAChat.net (Chitchat)

Pages: 1
IanFraser

Reged: 07/11/04
Loc: Brisbane
Windows 8 Office 2013
      #719243 - 11/04/12 03:01 PM

I used my Toshiba Ultra Book as a crash test dummy for a Windows 8 and Office 2013 install.

Fail 1. Windows 8 dosen't support my Toshiba DynaDock to honest I haven't gone looking for drivers yet but I had to spend 45 minutes uninstalling the DynaDock drivers.

Fail 2. I know Microsoft are trying to move on but they could offer an option for a traditional Start button. There are plenty of add-on button apps out there now.

Fail 3. Office 2013 the look and feel of this version of office is just plain dull.

I think Microsoft have taken backwards steps with Windows 8 and Office 2013.

--------------------
You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rtehve

Reged: 08/21/00
Loc: Elanora Heights, NSW, Australi...
Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: IanFraser]
      #719244 - 11/04/12 07:10 PM

IanFraser

I tried Windblows 8 and have to agree what is the point ?

I tried it on a Tablet Note book and its still far inferior to Android OS for usability.

The whole point of a new version of OS is it has to be superior, you think they would come up with better effort on tablet notebook, it just looks like Windblows 7 (which is stable enough) with a different skin.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: IanFraser]
      #719280 - 11/05/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

Fail 2. I know Microsoft are trying to move on but they could offer an option for a traditional Start button. There are plenty of add-on button apps out there now.

Is that important? I haven't looked at it myself yet, but I'm assuming there is some way to accomplish the tasks formerly assigned to the start button?

Quote:

Fail 3. Office 2013 the look and feel of this version of office is just plain dull.

Is that important? I've never thought "exciting look and feel" was important for my word processing or spreadsheet applications.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

LoadRunner421

Reged: 05/06/11
Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #719303 - 11/05/12 09:04 AM

I agree with Joe that if the changes improve the functionality/performance of the application/OS then who cares if the Start button is gone and how it looks and feels?

But the question I wonder is: Are the changes even needed or is it just developers making changes simply because if they don't come up with new ideas and changes, then they no longer have a job?

Same with Facebook and Youtube always changing things around. Is this only because if the business/development teams says "Ok, the app is good, we don't need anymore drastic changes for a while" then there's no work for them?

It seems to me that the rate of change is way higher than the actual need for change.

Don't get me wrong, I love change and embrace it, but when things that aren't broken are getting "fixed" then I wonder what is the point?

This is just my opinion though and maybe I'm out to lunch....

NoUse4aName

Reged: 06/13/08
      #719305 - 11/05/12 09:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that important? I haven't looked at it myself yet, but I'm assuming there is some way to accomplish the tasks formerly assigned to the start button?

It's important on a desktop without a touchscreen monitor, definitely. It complicates the user experience requiring multiple clicks/navigations to accomplish the same task without the Start button.

rtehve

Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: NoUse4aName]
      #719314 - 11/05/12 11:31 AM

NoUse4aName

Unless you tried it or you can identify what burning issue that Windblows 7 has that 8 fixes...... I don't get the speculative commentary.

For a Desktop Windblows 7 looks fine, looks stable. I have seen some compatibility issues but a new OS is more likely to create more of these.

If your trying to move Forward..... you think Tablet or Ipad would be the benchmark you would at least match or better.

It does look like a work for the dole program (charity work for bored developers)..... have MS painted themselves into a technological corner ?

Yet to try Surface which is also getting bad press.

I think they have left it far to late with Android Tablets rapidly out pacing Apple stuff.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

rtehve

Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: rtehve]
      #719319 - 11/05/12 12:09 PM

Joe Strazzere

I thought the principle of a new version is to make a superior OS ..... otherwise its just a minor update, not worthy of a new number.

Given the explosion of Tablets you think this is the direction they would head with a new OS, otherwise why bother .... windows 7 is OK...... even XP still does the job where I work, in fact going from XP to Win 7 caused a few compatibility issues.

I was unconvinced about the need for Windows 7 even more unconvinced about Windows 8 after trying it.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

NoUse4aName

#719320 - 11/05/12 12:21 PM

Yeah, have been living with 8 for awhile now to test our apps in IE10. New computers being sold with it demands that.

For home use the only thing I'm really getting out of it is a faster boot/shutdown time...which I agree should have been a service pack if anything. Unless you switch to a touchscreen monitor, which to be fair those are falling in price now, the new UI complicates the user experience.

IanFraser

#719321 - 11/05/12 12:49 PM

I installed one of the button add-ons

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This seems to do the job. The problem with Windows 8 is I couldnt give my wife a computer with Windows 8 simply because she just wouldn't get it, I would have to spend days showing her how to do things with it and thats the problem Microsoft have. They have skipped a couple of generations and it will leave some people stumped. On my PC I don't want a tablet style operating system.

Office 2013...

I have spent a lot of money on a Laptop with a great screen and graphics card and Office 2013 presents a flat dull grey UI all the control sections just blend into each other with no real borders its like they didn't finish the UI.

--------------------
World Wide Shipping.

Joe Strazzere

#719325 - 11/05/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

I thought the principle of a new version is to make a superior OS ..... otherwise its just a minor update, not worthy of a new number.

I'm not sure most marketers would agree.

Quote:

Given the explosion of Tablets you think this is the direction they would head with a new OS, otherwise why bother .... windows 7 is OK...... even XP still does the job where I work, in fact going from XP to Win 7 caused a few compatibility issues.

With the huge base of existing Windows users, going from any version to any version is almost certain to cause a few compatibility issues.

Quote:

I was unconvinced about the need for Windows 7 even more unconvinced about Windows 8 after trying it.

Got it - Windows XP was good enough for your needs. It worked pretty reliably for me, too.

I'm unconvinced about the need for smart phones. But vendors keep churning them out. When I'm elected Ruler of the World, I'll change that...

--------------------
- Joe

rtehve

#719334 - 11/05/12 04:39 PM

Joe Strazzere

"I'm not sure most marketers would agree."

Depends if they are playing a short game or a long game.

Looking at the Ipad Sales I beg to differ of what your suggesting, any marketing person would wet dream about such growth.

Notebooks are rapidly replacing Desktops, one can only guess the next will be tablets replacing notebooks. I have a Tablet Type notebook which I tried windows 8 out on and other than looking like a mild add-on as Ian suggested, it was really no better than windows 7 on this Tablet which is Clumsy compared to the Android OS.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

IanFraser

#719335 - 11/05/12 05:25 PM

Some up side to the Windows 8 install. From a cold start the laptop boots much faster than it did with Win 7 so there is a win. Waking from sleep mode is much faster as well. I can only assume Win 8 is using the SSD side of my harddrive better than Win 7 did.

With the more traditional start button added and direct boot to the desktop it is also better.

But there is still a downside for me. I have put Windows 8 on a spare laptop and one of the things Win 8 didn't like was my Toshiba Dynadock 3.0 drivers. There are beta drivers for it but until they have real drivers this will keep Win 8 off my main laptop.

--------------------
World Wide Shipping.

Joe Strazzere

#719389 - 11/06/12 08:43 AM

Quote:

Joe Strazzere

"I'm not sure most marketers would agree."

Depends if they are playing a short game or a long game.

Looking at the Ipad Sales I beg to differ of what your suggesting, any marketing person would wet dream about such growth.

I'm not sure most marketers would agree that the principle of a new version is to make a superior OS.

The principle of a new version is to make money.

--------------------
- Joe

rtehve

#719395 - 11/06/12 11:37 AM

Joe Strazzere

Windows 8 ????

Maybe a small short term money, making a more touch based orientated OS ..... looks like the future to me.

Windows 7/8 is a traditional GUI mouse/keyboard based os with some Tablet capability. I would prefer it be a touch based OS with traditional capability.

I will try Ubuntu next on my tablet notebook to see how it goes, it has pretty much caught u with windows or better in ease of use.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

cybersurf

Reged: 12/15/09
      #719396 - 11/06/12 12:04 PM

Quote:

Joe Strazzere
Notebooks are rapidly replacing Desktops, one can only guess the next will be tablets replacing notebooks. I have a Tablet Type notebook which I tried windows 8 out on and other than looking like a mild add-on as Ian suggested, it was really no better than windows 7 on this Tablet which is Clumsy compared to the Android OS.

There are some things tablets will replace and it is already happening.
The health care industry is turning patient records and x-ray prints digital; justifying the cost of purchasing each employee a tablet. With XP support being dropped you've got a lot of organizations saying they need to develop this software again.

The thing about this is electronics are becoming consumer driven. The popularity of the iPad/iPhone is what encourages adoption on the enterprise level. This could lead to more open policies where you can bring your own device into work.

--------------------
Software Testing, Second Edition: "Intelligently weighing the risks and reducing the infinite possibilities to a manageable effective set is where the magic is."

NoUse4aName

Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: cybersurf]
      #719397 - 11/06/12 12:43 PM

Games are one of the few reasons to keep a Windows desktop these days.

rtehve

Re: Windows 8 Office 2013 [Re: NoUse4aName]
      #719475 - 11/07/12 11:17 AM

cybersurf

About the only thing I can't do on my Android Tablet is edit Schedules, also the 24 Inch Monitor on my desktop is a big plus.

My android does have a HDMI output but that will tie you to a Desk defeating the purpose of a Tablet.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Rich W., blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6779

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums