Downloads

Software Testing >> Automated Testing

Pages: 1
marmoor99

Reged: 12/31/11
Deciding to go from manual to automated testing
      #718810 - 10/26/12 07:07 AM

Hello experts

The company which I work for is currently in transition from manual SW testing to automated testing. What I was wondering is, if there is a tool or excel sheet that someone already created with the advantages of going to automation with scoring for every parametersimilar to a FMEA table for deciding severity for example of defects
What I would like to do is, go through every manual test case and decided by predefined parameters based on a "FMEA" table whether or not this test case is candidate for automation
Do you know of such a table?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mbrychuk

Reged: 10/30/12
Re: Deciding to go from manual to automated testing [Re: marmoor99]
      #719218 - 11/02/12 11:28 AM

When you get it done, please post it here :-)

What you need is a set of criteria that you can apply in making decisions about automating or not.

Developing these criteria would be specific to your organization internal and situational factors, such as type of testing, application, technology, project, product, skills, tools, apllication risk sensibility, stability of the application or lack of it, etc.

More on defining this strategy is here:
http://sqta.wordpress.com/test-automation-strategy/

To be a bit more specific, I would first measure the quality tolerance of your situation. Try to answer the question of how much you should NOT automate. Or how little testing will give you acceptable comfort level releasing your product.
Your Smoke tests are primary candidates. Your regression is a secondary candidate. Try to hit the tests with higest level of repeatability.

Timing is also important. Going from all manual to automated could be phased out across number of releases/phases. Identify high impact areas and do them first as a pilot. Wait for Lessons Learned to come out from this effort. Then introduce a processing of building up automation assets over time. Doing it all at once may be an overkill and cause a substantial rework.
The key with all automation efforts is not to over-automate.

Elysia

Reged: 11/05/12
Re: Deciding to go from manual to automated testing [Re: mbrychuk]
      #719313 - 11/05/12 11:18 AM

mbrychuk that's good advice. As a test automation engineer at Intel, I agree. Of course there has to be some level of evaluation of potential for automation at the test case level, but typically for me that decision is made after the decision to automate at the project level has been made, and I don't really use a specific formula to make the determination. It's typically based on stability and ROI of automation. The individual test case decisions are usually based on complexity, data availability (or ability to create it thru automation) and (reusability).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Elfriede Dustin, AJ, Joe Strazzere 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4405

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums