Training
News
Links
Downloads

Testing Tools >> AutomatedQA / SmartBear TestComplete

Pages: 1
Nathan_G

Reged: 10/10/12
Custom AutomationPeers/AutomationProviders (UIA)
      #718415 - 10/19/12 11:21 AM

We have a custom grid control that is drawn on the screen. None of the cells inherit from FrameworkElement. Up until now we have been using Custom Extensions to automate this control but we want to use a better strategy for our future releases. We considered AutomationPeers; however, after investigating TestComplete's UIA objects and the support for AutomationPeers it seems like it doesn't allow for much, if any, customization. "...if your application implements a custom provider exposing specific properties, they will not be available to TestComplete." I saw this in a SmartBear doc titled "Using Microsoft UI Automation Technology - Overview". That seems to be true, but it also doesn't seem to be possible to expose any methods or properties in even the standard providers written by Microsoft.

What I mean by this is, in my scenario, I have a custom automation peer class that inherits AutomationPeer and implements a standard provider like IScrollItemProvider. In TestComplete I can see the UIA object and all the standard AutomationPeer properties but none of the IScrollItemProvider properties or methods. I understand that a custom provider like ICustomProvider wouldn't work, but why wouldn't the standard ones work? Am I missing something or is this just not supported?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
libin1234

Reged: 10/24/12
Re: Custom AutomationPeers/AutomationProviders (UIA) [Re: Nathan_G]
      #719515 - 11/08/12 02:09 AM

Even i am facing a similar issue.I have automated almost everything in a WPF application except a custom grid using MS UI Automation in VBA.UI spy is not exposing any of the control patterns in a custom grid.

Below link may help you out

http://mechanicalhandshake.blogspot.com/2011/01/retrieving-wpfgrid-cell-values-using.html

Regards
Libin Sebastian

Nathan_G

Re: Custom AutomationPeers/AutomationProviders (UIA) [Re: libin1234]
      #719530 - 11/08/12 08:06 AM

This solution is for QTP not TestComplete. I am trying to avoid solutions like this anyway. If I have to write code to expose standard providers for custom peers then I may as well just write a bunch of TestComplete extension methods for all our custom control needs, but I'm trying to avoid this as well.

libin1234

Reged: 10/24/12
      #719533 - 11/08/12 08:32 AM

My Automation team is doing some R&D on identifying custom controls using Excel VBA.So far we couldn't make much progress as VBA doesn't support Oops concept. I will keep you posted with the progress from my end.
Any posts on your progress would be appreciated

Regards
Libin Sebastian

Nathan_G

#719858 - 11/15/12 06:18 AM

No one from the Test Complete dev team has an answer to this? I realize the UIA support only comes from a plug in but even so it seems like it's pretty incomplete if it's not capable of doing something simple like this. It's been a month since the OP and we need to decide how we will approach automating this custom control.

Tanya_SmartBear

Reged: 03/21/11
      #719963 - 12/09/12 11:52 PM

Hi Nathan,

As far as I know, you've contacted our Support team regarding this question. They requested a sample application on which they can investigate this behavior. Could you please send it to them?

--------------------
Tanya,
SmartBear Technical Community Manager, Testing Tools

Interested in more, visit our SmartBear community

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NickAQA, Robert Martin, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums