Quality Engineering >> Requirements and Design

Pages: 1
Nessi

Reged: 04/05/06
Loc: Sweden
Agile requirment approach and Behaviour Driven Dev
      #716254 - 09/11/12 02:00 AM

Need a little input here...
If you want an agile approach both to requirement and development and testing is it possible to approach the problem by first using "As a/an", "I want to", "So that" to get the actual need. Then to break it down to BDD by using "Given...", "When", "Then". Then the developers know what they should test.

Should it then be possible for the testers to use the first behaviour matrix to just state passed/not passed?

Now for the tricky part... A new function is in my case implemented in an already existing product. To be able to easily show the complete picture of the overall functionality would it be ok to use a flowchart combined with detailed requirements such as what values that are valid for specific fields and so on?

Has anyone trid this? How do you specify your requirements to get the complete picture of a system? Usually we write use cases where you suppose to jump between a bunch of sub cases which is confusing and it's hard to get a clear understanding of the complete system.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Richard_Hunter

Reged: 08/16/04
Re: Agile requirment approach and Behaviour Driven Dev [Re: Nessi]
      #716257 - 09/11/12 02:16 AM

The way I have done this in the past is to start with a user story (which covers the As a new user, I wish to register a new account, type statements).

We then broke this down into Design (how it looks and flows between screens) and Facts about the screens (e.g. username must be between 8 and 16 chars.(which covers the "Given...", "When..." stuff)

From the design and facts we produced the test scripts. The test scripts are in effect a combination of everything that has gone before, and become the acceptance criteria. The product owner reviews the scripts and if they agree with them, if the test scripts pass then the functionality is accepted. So the developers and testers understand what they have to achieve to get to "Done" and work together to cover that in unit tests and beyond.

--------------------
Richard Hunter

broop

Reged: 01/03/01
Loc: Grandville, MI, USA
Re: Agile requirment approach and Behaviour Driven Dev [Re: Richard_Hunter]
      #718121 - 10/16/12 07:38 AM

What does a requirement look like?

Its SMART

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant
Testable

And if any of those characteristics is missing, then the requirement isn't valid and needs to be rewritten.

That means that the developers on my team don't have to code to it and the testers don't have to test to it.

The customer has to provide us with realistic requirements before we begin working on their project (even if it's just stories for the upcoming iteration). We need them before the new iteration begins... so they can be reviewed, enhanced, modified, discarded or approved.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, swt88, AJ, Daniel_S 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2027

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums