Software Testing >> Mobile Devices, Mobile Apps - Embedded Systems Testing

Pages: 1
vigos

Reged: 06/02/06
Loc: Argentina
Testing native app vs wrapped or browser based
      #717211 - 09/29/12 05:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm gathering some information about the differences on the approach to take when testing a native app versus a browser based one (or wrapped with Phonegap or similar).

Thinking in the situation where you will have a native app for iOS and another for Android. OR a web page (single code-base), that is accessed from iOS or Android through the browser or wrapped and then installed as a regular app (like the Linkedin app).

At first sight, a web app can be first tested on a desktop web browser, and once it's functionality is verified tested on the required devices, looking for graphical glitches (since hopefully the main functionality would be working). This could account for some time saving, and maybe a benefit on testing web based apps.

And about automation, are there better tools for web based or native apps?

Please, let me know what you think, or your experience if you'd like. I'll share here what I find.

Edited by vigos (09/29/12 05:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yagsyModerator

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Testing native app vs wrapped or browser based [Re: vigos]
      #717219 - 09/30/12 12:45 PM

You might try using SOASTA's products CloudTest and TouchTest for some of the testing.

Be sure to not forget about testing how your application (native or web) behaves based on varying hardware conditions. By this I mean battery consumption, temperature and if your application is dependent on timing, you might want to think about testing calendar and clock variances like time change, future timing, past timing etc. Check this forum for examples.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

vigos

Reged: 06/02/06
Loc: Argentina
Re: Testing native app vs wrapped or browser based [Re: yagsy]
      #717220 - 09/30/12 04:00 PM

Thanks for your reply yagsy.

I also read your post about testing with multiple different battery levels, and I have experienced similar effects on some of the applications I tested. In what I've seen it will affect the apps no matter if they are native or web.

Do you have any particular insight into testing native vs web?

Thanks in advance.

yagsyModerator

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Testing native app vs wrapped or browser based [Re: vigos]
      #717221 - 09/30/12 05:44 PM

I want to make it clear I have very little experience testing mobile web applications. And I would like to ask are these web applications designed specifically for mobile or are they web applications but you're testing on a mobile device? Be very careful to make this distinction. It's important.

Here are some thoughts though which may or may not be helpful:

1) Are you utilizing log files to see what your device is sending to the web application? Do you have access to the web application log files? Might be a good place to start doing some comparisons. Think about doing specific behavior a user would do and watch, study your log files based on this behavior.

2) Does the web application cares about time or records tim? Where is the time recorded from, the OS on the device or the web application?

3) I've said often to read your architectural specs and diagrams and test accordingly. Understand your interactions and inter-dependencies which are critical to creating or devising test cases. When and where does user interaction involve the device dependency to then respond to the application?

4) Security Testing - I would imagine security testing is important for web applications. I have no experience in security testing but I know people in the community who have and their information is available online. Do some searches for "security testing for web applications" and I'm sure you'll find something. Also check out Karen Johnson's website/blog. She might have some good information for you as I know she's done some conference talks on security testing. Karen'ts website and perhaps you can contact her for further information but do not expect her services to be free of charge. She's a hard working consultant and she may or may not be able to share any specific information.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  yagsy, AJ, Shane_MacLaughlin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2914

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums