Software Testing >> Mobile Devices, Mobile Apps - Embedded Systems Testing

Pages: 1
Mrinal_Nandi

Reged: 04/23/12
Loc: Mumbai, India
Plz help to decide mobile automation test tool
      #715334 - 08/27/12 04:30 AM

Hi All,
I am new to mobile application automation. In my new project client is looking to automate their mobile application testing. The target platform is the iPad, Android.
Please guide me to select the best tool available in market.

Note: It would be a function testing for their apps not any performance or load testing. Tools can be freeware or paid.

Thanks in advance...

--------------------
Regards,
Mrinal Nandi

Follow LinkedIn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yagsyModerator

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Plz help to decide mobile automation test tool [Re: Mrinal_Nandi]
      #715371 - 08/27/12 08:29 PM

First, what do you mean by "best tool"? What exactly are you trying to test within the application?

Have you read One Size Fits All blog post?

In order to really help you and give you better advice, can you please indicate exactly what kinds of tests you want to automate? If you haven't been testing in the mobile world for long, then you need to formulate a mobile test plan. Until you do this, there is very little for any of us to give you advice.

If you do not have a mobile test plan, then I would suggest you start reading:

Defining Mobile Testing
Hardware Tests for the Mobile Software Apps Tester
Charging a Mobile Device tests
Deploying a mobile test strategy

As you can see there is a lot of information here in this forum. Please review and maybe narrow down your request.

Remember not one size fits all and there is no such thing as a "best tool" but remember it's not about the "best tool" but instead what is the best chosen tool for the tests you want to do. Again, it comes down to what tests you wish to conduct.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

yagsyModerator

Re: Plz help to decide mobile automation test tool [Re: yagsy]
      #715373 - 08/27/12 09:49 PM

I also just noticed your background as "automation tester" and one of the biggest mistakes I find automation testers make is that they figure automation is the only answer to resolve their testing needs. I hope with you reviewing the previously provided links, you will not only review the posts from many wonderful contributors to this particular forum but also the links to blogs, you will see real experience in mobile testing goes beyond looking for that one tool fits all situations. That is a fantasy which does not exist. And if you can prove me wrong with regards to this statement, please post here. I would LOVE to be proven wrong. But like any tester, I will test your proof too.

BTW, I will be conducting a hands on test session for mobile devices at: STPCon Fall 2012

and my session description can be found here

Maybe by attending you might find much more helpful information. If you ever get to attend anything by Karen Johnson, Mark Tomlinson, Scott Barber, then you are going to get some invaluable information. All three will be at STPCon as well as many more fantastic speakers.

Remember mobile testing involves more system integration and performance testing while GUI and/or functional testing are a small part of the testing while performance, stress and system integration testing take up more of the test cases. Planning out a strategy is critical to being efficient in your mobile test projects.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (08/27/12 09:52 PM)

Mrinal_Nandi

Reged: 04/23/12
Loc: Mumbai, India
Re: Plz help to decide mobile automation test tool [Re: yagsy]
      #715869 - 09/05/12 01:17 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your nicely written reply. I have checked all the link provided by you and found nice concept underneath it.
I am able to narrow down my requirement. Requirement is to test the web application in IPAD browser. I have listed down couple of tools, like: SeeTest, TouchTest, Mobile Labs- Trust and Test Quest 10.
Now , I am checking feasibility of these tool with my requirement, planning to do PoC with some tools.
Let me know, if you have any more suggestion.
Thanks again for your guidance.

--------------------
Regards,
Mrinal Nandi

Follow LinkedIn

yagsyModerator

Re: Plz help to decide mobile automation test tool [Re: Mrinal_Nandi]
      #716178 - 09/10/12 05:42 AM

Have you looked at SOASTA's TouchTest tool? This looks like it will be fantastic for functional testing of your web application on the iPad. I have not personally done this testing but from the demos I've seen of the tool, I think it would work quite well.

--------------------

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (09/10/12 05:44 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  yagsy, AJ, Shane_MacLaughlin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4234

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums