Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Network & Distributed Testing

Pages: 1
daluu

Reged: 08/24/06
HTTP request from browser - Firebug vs Wireshark
      #714798 - 08/17/12 05:12 PM

Not sure what's the best forum for this trying here.

Anyone have experience with this and know which tool is more accurate for actually checking HTTP traffic sent out of client machine and if and why discrepancies might arise between tools? For now, let's set aside checking for traffic received from the server or other remote endpoint.

I was testing a feature at work which involved the web app using HTML5 rendering (which should not have any HTTP requests) and it also has fallback to making server request where HTML5 not working well (some checks in code for this).

What I notice is that in Firebug (network tab) and also Wireshark is that I see network requests for some data for the HTML5 local rendering case, where we shouldn't be expecting it.

And then for fallback case, I see request in Firebug net tab, but I don't see matching request in Wireshark. In Wireshark I'm capturing on same interface and only apply filter of "http".

This seems strange to me. Why would one tool have requests that don't show up in another? I assume both really sniff network traffic, though Firebug sniffs more at the browser app level while Wireshark sniffs at the network interface. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how one of the tools like Firebug really works or the web app is implemented differently than what I'm assuming in terms of the HTTP requests being made.

I'm going to discuss with our developers but thought I'd also discuss this with the community as well. This is the first time I've come across such an interesting issue.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
daluu

Re: HTTP request from browser - Firebug vs Wireshark [Re: daluu]
      #714799 - 08/17/12 05:19 PM

btw, the port of the fallback request is 3100 instead of 80 but still uses HTTP protocol. I'm filtering just by http in Wireshark but assume that should still catch requests to the server at 3100 going out as http.

daluu

Re: HTTP request from browser - Firebug vs Wireshark [Re: daluu]
      #714800 - 08/17/12 05:51 PM

Never mind, turns out for whatever reason, the HTTP request as shown in Firebug is tracked as a TCP request in Wireshark, so I had to filter by IP source/destination to see.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  IanFraser, AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2374

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums