Links
Downloads

Testing Tools >> AutomatedQA / SmartBear TestComplete

Pages: 1
MrVersion

Reged: 04/14/08
Name Mapping Frustration
      #714627 - 08/15/12 12:48 PM

Getting pretty frustrated with the whole Name Mapping thing. Specifically the hierarchy with the Java applications that I need to test, but then again, the hierarchy isn't really any different than any other application.

I've read the docs, I've seen the webinars (like the one that Nick made), and it's still just not working out too well. Seems like very time a new object is added or deleted, Name Mapping is breaking because the hierarchy has changed. From there, it's not real obvious how to change it in the Mapped Objects section.

I know I remember that some folks have done away with the Name Mapping all together. How did you do that? I think I might be happier doing that and it will be more easily maintained.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrVersion

Re: Name Mapping Frustration [Re: MrVersion]
      #714709 - 08/16/12 07:22 AM

Anyone have any pointers on how to accomplish testing WITHOUT using Name Mapping? I know that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but this is getting crazy. I thought I had an understanding of just how this thing works, but apparently I do not. I do not care where on the application that the object that I'm trying to manipulate is. It seems to me, that if pretty much any object is moved, the whole dang thing breaks. I get the "Underlying object does not exist." dialog. In testing some of my applications, I need to get a new version at least one time per day if not several times.

Regarding the "Underlying object does not exist." message, OK, I get that TC doesn't know where my object is. But now that it doesn't know where it is, I have to "learn" it again, only this time in the Mapped Objects section, I have an entirely new path along with the original path that I had before. So now I'm going to have all these paths in the mapped Objects section that I don't need. Crazy.

Sorry to vent, please accept the apology. I'm just getting really frustrated.

JamesK

Reged: 10/07/09
Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
      #714715 - 08/16/12 07:43 AM

If you want to turn off Name Mapping:

In TestComplete | Tools | Engines | Name Mapping

Uncheck both Name Mapping check boxes

I have also known some folks who delete the
Name Mapping folder, which prevents Name Mapping
to occur.

If Name Mapping is not desired, remember to lso clear out you Name Mapping folder, except for the Sys entry.

MrVersion

Re: Name Mapping Frustration [Re: JamesK]
      #714728 - 08/16/12 08:03 AM

Thanks James.

How would the script structure look? For example, you have your test script. Then you might have another "script" with functions in it. Of course you can use //USEUNIT to include your function library in the test. What about the object descriptions? I'm thinking that I'll be using FindChild, etc. all over the place, and that's just fine. However, if I put those variables in another script, //USEUNIT does not recognize them as an object at run-time.

I suppose that my biggest frustration with Name mapping is the hierarchy of the objects. If that path changes at all, then both the descriptions in the Mapped Objects pane and the Alias pane are broken. I thought I've identified and moved the relevant objects to a level (the top MainFrame) where it should not matter where they are. No suck luck, the path still breaks.

Edited by MrVersion (08/16/12 08:06 AM)

Irene_SmartBear

Reged: 11/04/02
      #716177 - 09/10/12 05:31 AM

I would suggest that you give the Name Mapping feature one more chance before giving it up. Have you considered using the Extended Find option? When it is enabled, TestComplete searches for the object on different levels of the objects hierarchy.
To learn more, please read the Using Extended Search Criteria for Mapped Object Identification help topic.

--------------------
Regards,
Irene - SmartBear Support

MrVersion

Re: Name Mapping Frustration [Re: Irene_SmartBear]
      #716201 - 09/10/12 09:54 AM

Quote:

I would suggest that you give the Name Mapping feature one more chance before giving it up. Have you considered using the Extended Find option? When it is enabled, TestComplete searches for the object on different levels of the objects hierarchy.
To learn more, please read the Using Extended Search Criteria for Mapped Object Identification help topic.

Yes Irene, I've considered that and looked at it. Truth of the matter is that it's easier to just create a script library that has the object definitions (using FindChild) and then calling that function when you need to use those objects. That way you know that something about your object has changed. The way that it's structured now, it's hard to tell what to fix when the object can't be found. It's especially brutal (at least to me) when testing Java applications that are not really, really stable.

s1500

Reged: 03/15/10
      #718594 - 10/23/12 05:57 AM

When I can't get namemapping to work, I just use the full name(starting with sys.whatever...) and go from there. Sure, it looks ugly, but it doesn't give me "ambiguous recognition of object"-type errors.

Namemapping can be a challenge even for the most seasoned of users. I ran into an issue yesterday where a date pop-out control wouldn't cooperate. The problem is, once you focus away from the app, it disappears. You can get around this with the Shift-Ctrl-A grabber, but it still didn't help. Using the wordy-name did the trick instead of trying to wrap it in a namemapping.

neelakantan

Reged: 10/28/12
Re: Name Mapping Frustration [Re: s1500]
      #718873 - 10/28/12 11:02 PM

I agree namemapping is complex process but that is the most important process in case you need to write stable and huge number of test case for your application.

Both of the approach that was discussed ealier(Script, Sys.XXX). These are the approach used during namemapping process internally. Except that,
Script approach has the ability to act dynamically without going thro cache and Sys.XXX is very precisely the Namemapping process.

This is art of doing it. I have started to document the challenge in my blog http://testcompleteexpert.blogspot.in/2012/10/name-mapping-challenges.html

We have experience namemapping at 15 product(Various technlogy including java). Do share very specific problem you face and i can help out
or
you can hire us and we can provide you complete namemapping of your application that is stable to use. (Reach me at skype:- testcomplete.expert)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NickAQA, Robert Martin, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums