Software Testing >> Web Testing

Pages: 1
dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Chrome Plugin to record manual steps
      #711546 - 07/05/12 07:01 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create an open source project for a Chrome plugin that logs your actions as manual steps you can copy and paste into a bug report.

https://github.com/dlai0001/ManualTestLogger

So far it can record clicking on basic links and filling out primative form fields.

I want to try to get people to use the tool, file bugs, enhancements, and maybe even contribute to the tool's development. I'd like to make typing in manual steps for reproducing issues on bug reports a thing of the past.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jively

Reged: 07/24/12
Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: Chrome Plugin to record manual steps [Re: dlai]
      #712872 - 07/24/12 02:35 AM

Hi,

This isn't a self-promoting post, but we developed a plugin that did this a while back.

The trick really is to capture all the stuff that happens under the hood such as AJAX requests as well as standard clicks (ajax requests happen at the page level, so they can't be captured easily with the chrome.* API).

o be honest, I am wondering if this may be easier in a Firefox plugin given they give more low-level access to the API than Google's Chrome guys do.

I'd be more than happy to contribute to this project as we've already done quite a bit of the leg work :-)

Our plugin is here (and will give you a list of your testing steps once completed) if you wantt o take a look.

PM me know if you're open to collaborators :-)

Thanks,
Martin

--------------------
Founder @ Loadzen, Load test your website in the cloud.

dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Re: Chrome Plugin to record manual steps [Re: jively]
      #714001 - 08/08/12 01:14 AM

That's pretty cool, I'll take a look at your plugin.

Yeah, the chrome API's power seems very limited to what JS can do. I can figure out how to check which elements the mouse is hover over, but I can't tell if the element triggers a JS action or not. I was thinking of many doing a polling loop to check for hidden elements becoming unhidden. But that seems like it'll take a huge performance hit and won't detect newly created elements.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

Richard_Hunter

Reged: 08/16/04
Re: Chrome Plugin to record manual steps [Re: dlai]
      #714123 - 08/09/12 02:05 AM

I might be missing the point, but there are tools that do this already, for free, across any browser (and I understand applications as well, but not tried that).

The one I have started using is q-trace by QASymphony, which is a free tool that records all the steps, takes screen shots as you go, records system information and then allows you annotate the results and or create a word document to stick into your defect. It also links to various defect tools to automatically generate a defect when you want to with all the details, although I have not used that bit.

I can't imagine that this is the only tool doing this, hope this helps.

--------------------
Richard Hunter

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, prtester, Joe Strazzere, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums