Training
News
Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> .Net Testing

Pages: 1
AndyBrew

Reged: 11/29/11
After 26 years of software development I begin...
      #692297 - 11/30/11 12:23 AM

to consider formalised testing LOL!!!

Hi everyone,

It never ceases to amaze me how there is a forum for everything

I have just started to investigate various methods of unit testing software in ASP.NET C# and have found that Jenkins CI is probably the way forward for us with regards toolkit.

I understand the principals of this although the shock of developing unit tests for our developers is going to involve some serious management

I sound like I've got it covered don't I however I do have some questions and thought I would throw them out there to get some views back from more experienced people: -

1. Most documentation I have read advises NOT to access the database using unit tests as they are potentially slow and also requires complex data setup. However in our experience a lot of the errors we get are related to the integration between the data access layer and the SQL database hence simply mocking our data repository in some manner would prevent a high % of errors from being detected, thoughts?

2. Web forms, I understand I can write unit tests to test individual business logic components how do people go about testing UI components?? Lets say I have a button on a form with an OnClick event how could I write a unit test that simply ensures that that button click is wired up correctly and works as intended?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nmondal

Reged: 02/13/12
Loc: India
Re: After 26 years of software development I begin... [Re: AndyBrew]
      #698302 - 02/13/12 07:37 AM

It is great to see someone your experience level is here. My hearty congratulations & welcome to the club.

On the flip side, there is a book on Unit testing, I am sure you have read it, and if you did not already, I would recommend you to read this:-
[http://artofunittesting.com/]

I would be more than happy to communicate with you regarding these problems. It is always my pleasure to stay in touch with learned and experienced people.

--------------------
[May have Asperger syndrome]
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome]
Please do not get offended if I sound plain arrogant.
Bear with me, or tell me that I sound inhuman.
Thanks.

SQA_Daniel

Reged: 05/27/12
Re: After 26 years of software development I begin... [Re: nmondal]
      #708106 - 05/27/12 07:33 PM

Have a look at Pex and Moles:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/pex/

This could simplify your unit test effort by dynamically generating your unit tests for you.

Keep in mind that unit tests should be so granular that you are only testing the subject/method. If you find yourself testing into multiple layers of your application your unit test is not granular enough and is closer to an integration test. If there is no other way to avoid this problem, create an integration test that runs post-compile and deploy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2843

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums