Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Mobile Devices, Mobile Apps - Embedded Systems Testing

Pages: 1
crististina

Reged: 07/05/11
Mobile Web testing battery usage
      #707426 - 05/18/12 07:43 AM

Hi guys, I'm currently testing some mobile web application, I know that in Mobile application ,testing the battery usage is a must. My question is , if I can test the battery usage for mobile web application, on real device, also it will help me a lot if you could provide some information about how can a I test the battery usage not necessary for web mobile, also for mobile app. What tools can be used.
Thanks you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yagsyModerator

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Mobile Web testing battery usage [Re: crististina]
      #707427 - 05/18/12 07:54 AM

Welcome to the board Christistina.

I would ask you first check out each one of the links listed here as I've gone into detail about battery charges and testing.

Also please be sure to research through this forum as there have been many posts related to charging a battery on a mobile device. Please feel free to come come back with any specific questions.

Also I will be doing a presentation on Testing Mobile Devices here at CAST2012. This is a fantastic conference where you not only is information presented but also you get to participate in active discussions which will help facilitate learning.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (05/18/12 07:55 AM)

dvenkat

Reged: 12/30/08
Re: Mobile Web testing battery usage [Re: yagsy]
      #717113 - 09/27/12 04:00 AM

Hi Yagsy,

You were given the explanation about testing the application while charging a battery. The answer i am looking for - how to test the battery consumption by our web application.How to do that testing, is there any specific tool or application available?

Please let me know ASAP, if you have any inputs.

Thanks,

yagsyModerator

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Mobile Web testing battery usage [Re: dvenkat]
      #717216 - 09/30/12 11:47 AM

Hi dvenkat;
I haven't done specific web application testing using a mobile device however here is what I would recommend you do:

1) stop thinking one tool or even a combination of tools are the answer. Testing on any level requires someone to plan out what kinds of tests you want to do and then look for the appropriate tools based on the specific tests.

2) now, thinking about battery consumption using a mobile devvice, what kinds of things do you want to do to see battery consumption behavior?
This type of testing will take a lot of time to plan and to implement. Plan out the behaviors you want to know more about with regards to battery consumption. Example: If your application records some data you input and then saves it until another value is reached, then the stored value is then communicated to another application, what is the battery consumption? Record the steps, the beginning conditions, the end conditions. This test will then inspire you to come up with more software behavior you want to know more about.

3) In deciding what software behavior you want to know more about, consider those behaviors most often used or expected to be most often used in production.

4)Create a spreadsheet of all the software behaviors, timing, battery charge values.

Hopefully this will help. Just don't expect a tool to do the thinking for you. You need to figure out what to test first. There may be some tools out there to record battery values, perhaps time. But you will need a separate tool to perform the software behaviors.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

dvenkat

Reged: 12/30/08
Re: Mobile Web testing battery usage [Re: yagsy]
      #717562 - 10/05/12 04:31 AM

Thanks for your response Yagsy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  yagsy, AJ, Shane_MacLaughlin 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4115

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums