Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Software Process Improvement

Pages: 1
liliyu

Reged: 05/28/10
how to identify whether a test case is safe
      #701177 - 03/12/12 05:58 PM

Hi,all:
During the regression testing, I have a puzzle.Test case is used to test whether the software under test.But how can I know the test case I designed has the ability to find the most bug? and in what way is it safe?
thanks a lot

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michaeljfModerator
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: liliyu]
      #701211 - 03/13/12 04:43 AM

I use a simple measure, does it find a bug? Since a test case is generally simple it either tests for something specific, and finds a problem, or it does not.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

SanketVaidya

Reged: 09/09/08
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: michaeljf]
      #702458 - 03/24/12 04:08 AM

Quote:

But how can I know the test case I designed has the ability to find the most bug?

You can come to know only after its execution or from past experience of the project. There is no way we can accurately predict whether the test case will find bug or not. But generally I write test cases for the worst case.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Sanket Vaidya

See my tool Om for field testing at http://sourceforge.net/p/omfortesting/home/description/

mbalajiwale

Reged: 07/29/11
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: SanketVaidya]
      #702661 - 03/27/12 04:53 AM

Test cases can be written in 2 ways...positive and negative.

Positive check if functionality is working as expected or not
Negative check all other possible ways to break that functionality.

Most of our test cases are positive and along with those some negative test cases should also be written and executed. Definitely this comes with experience and good analytical skills.

E.g. A text box on web application is designed to enter numeric value. Now positive test case would be enter a numeric value in it and check if that is getting saved/stored successfully or not. Negative test case would be to enter characters, decimals, symbols, combinations, blank spaces, long strings etc. In such cases a good designed system and functionality would not save these values rather either would prompt to enter correct numeric value or would leave it blank. But if functionality was not implemented keeping this in mind then it would end up entering incorrect bad data in to the system.

I hope this is useful to you. Get back in case of suggestions.

--------------------

rajesh830

Reged: 09/04/08
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: mbalajiwale]
      #704166 - 04/13/12 03:43 AM

Since you are specific abt regression testing, I can suggest you to select all testcases related to area of changes made by Developes

Thanks,
Rajesh

dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: rajesh830]
      #705280 - 04/26/12 10:39 AM

I'm not a big fan of the hackerish mentality that test cases are designed with the sole purpose of finding bugs. That's not the entire point of a test case. If bug count is the sole purpose, wouldn't you really be measuring how bad a developer is and not how good a test case was?

Testing is the activity to reduce risk by testing the unknown. It's to make sure whatever you promise to your customers, is what you deliver. Test cases is sometimes said to be a form of a unspoken requirement. Requirements and stories are very high level, where tests are closer to the scenario level. A good test plan will have broken the requirement into different scenarios, and good test cases will cover all these different scenarios.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

liliyu

Reged: 05/28/10
Re: how to identify whether a test case is safe [Re: dlai]
      #705449 - 04/28/12 01:23 AM

Thanks.I think the bug prediction ability of the test case is very important for recovering not about bug count, but the severity degree of the bug and the most bug emerged condition. All the above can help tester to improve test plan and select the next suitable test case to regression testing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Daniel_S, michaeljf, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4152

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums