Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Estimation and Planning

Pages: 1
hsingh80

Reged: 02/23/12
How to estimate Testing efforts?
      #700092 - 03/01/12 08:49 AM

Hi Folks,

I was looking for How to estimate tst efforts? I've found many techniques like percentage of development/task based etc. techniques to estimate test efforts.

My question here is Can anyone please explain in detail how test estimation is calculatd in real testing environment than just theoretical test estimation.

Your replies will be highly appreciated

Cheers
H Singh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmtjatt

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: How to estimate Testing efforts? [Re: hsingh80]
      #700143 - 03/01/12 05:22 PM

You can use percentage approach based on development tasks but it might not be accurate. I only use this approach when high level swags are needed and when I do not have enough information on hand regarding what needs to go into the given release.

There are no good approaches to estimating testing effort. You can use the baseline from previous releases, you can also rely on your subject matter experts to give you more accurate estimates for the area they are responsible for.

You can also get the total count of the planned test cases and get average how many can you execute per day. So for example you have 100 test cases planned and you are estimating that you can execute about 5 a day. That's about 20 days effort plus any additional data setup or defect reporting/re-testing.

So as you can see there are many different ways to get estimates. Pick the one that suites you best. After all they are "ESTIMATES".

mbalajiwale

Reged: 07/29/11
Re: How to estimate Testing efforts? [Re: fmtjatt]
      #700158 - 03/01/12 10:00 PM

There are some techniques available which help to estimate not only time but size, cost, efforts as well. Recently I was reading about Function Point Analysis which calculates the size of the application and which further leads to estimate-

Project cost
Project duration
Project staffing size

Although this technique seems to be lengthy but yes this gives you good results.

Also estimation skills come with experience. Ideally this should be done by lead. These skills can't taught to any one

Few points which one should not miss on while estimation is-
1. First use your past experience
2. See the skill level of your resources like a resource with good hands on the project and technology may finish a piece of work in 2 pds but a fresher may need 4 days for same.
3. Keep some buffer time say 10% of total time estimated
4. Do a good risk analysis at beginning and consider those as well while estimating. I would not suggest to add time lines for those but if those are added in plan and mentioned clearly then it would be good at later stage of project to justify the delays in project. But we should be ready with the mitigation strategy as well in that case
5. Make a note of other dependencies and issues faced during project which led to the delay in schedule...and for next project/phase consider those as well while estimating

Get back to me in case more details are required on the same.
Also suggestions are always welcome!

--------------------

Walen

Reged: 05/09/01
      #700205 - 03/02/12 07:04 AM

I don't know if there is a single, best way to do estimation. If there was, questions like this would not come up as frequently as they do in forums and it would not be one of the "Top 5 Track Session Topics" at most software testing/quality conferences.

The fact is, estimating anything in software is sloppy, at best. This includes testing.

I've read some interesting ideas I will try and dig out on how to do estimation /better/ - and will see if I can't get some links posted in the next day or so.

What I have seen NOT work for anything other than a very simple, small, self-contained system - EVER...

Percentage of development effort;

Instead, try this - Randomly picking numbers determined by rolling dice (get some 10 sided dice, its just easier). I found this to be generally as accurate as the percentage thing.

--------------------
P. Walen

My Blog: http://rhythmoftesting.blogspot.com/

SanketVaidya

Reged: 09/09/08
Re: How to estimate Testing efforts? [Re: Walen]
      #700256 - 03/02/12 07:11 PM

You may like to refer this
http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=692533&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
Best Regards,
Sanket Vaidya

See my tool Om for field testing at http://sourceforge.net/p/omfortesting/home/description/

Walen

Reged: 05/09/01
      #700298 - 03/04/12 07:18 AM

So, I got a little bogged down with other stuff.

Fiona Charles had an interesting article in Sticky Minds a few years ago. Her topic is not the typica; "How do you do estimation?" article, but how to plan for your outcome - the endgame she calls it.

I could not find it on Sticky Minds - BUT - her website has a link. Here: http://www.quality-intelligence.com/articles/PlanningTheEndGame.pdf

Good luck and Good Estimating!

--------------------
P. Walen

My Blog: http://rhythmoftesting.blogspot.com/

thierryGTO

Reged: 03/26/12
      #702515 - 03/26/12 02:47 AM

To estimate testing effort, I am using the Requirements cirticality

I mean for each Requirement I will define a criticality (High/medium/low) and then according to this criticality
, define the minimum coverage level in term of testing type.
For example, for High Criticality, the minimum coverage level is at least 3 differents Kind of testing (let say
basic testing, invalid/negative testing and Capability)

It will give you the minimum of tests to write (at least one by testing type), so you will have a number of test to write
Then by using an average workload value of 1 day for manual testing(Write/Check/execute) you can have a draft value of you workload

As example
1 requirements critical (High) means 3 differents Tests = at least 3 days (Writing /executing manual tests)

This is a basic approach at the begining of the project, then it will be completed while you test strategy will be more
accurate (Automation, etc )
You have also to take into account the workload to setup the tools, the knowledge rampup for the team, etc ...
But I can be used as basic, the idea here is that the criticaly is used to better distribute you validation workload and make more testing effort on critical parts

Hope it help
Thierry

saindha

Reged: 01/23/11
Re: How to estimate Testing efforts? [Re: thierryGTO]
      #710692 - 06/25/12 10:54 PM

For any software testing estimation, it is highly recommended that following factors should be taken into account:
1. Domain Knowledge and core requirements
2. Risks and complexity of the application
3. Team Knowledge on the subject/skills
4. Historical data for the previous estimation for improvement and accuracy
5. Estimation should include buffer time
6. Bug cycles for the project
7. Resources availability

--------------------
Good to be first, Better to be Good, Best to be both!!!
/Sai Poorna Chandra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  swt88, AJ, corklad, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17710

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums