Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Quality Methodologies

Pages: 1
TheQATester1

Reged: 01/03/12
Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile
      #697566 - 02/03/12 09:14 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have a template for Test Strategy and Test PLan that is designed for Agile projects?

Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michaeljfModerator
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile [Re: TheQATester1]
      #697586 - 02/03/12 12:16 PM

Most Agile projects I have seen use Tasks to track testing, if you have a Test Strategy I get the feeling you are not really doing Agile since that kind of document would not be as useful in an Agile project. Are you just looking for something to track your test cases in or something different?

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

JCTreb

Reged: 08/16/01
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Re: Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile [Re: michaeljf]
      #697598 - 02/03/12 01:26 PM

Test strategy and test plan documents?

Would you like to see them again?

Like Michael alluded to, there are certain documents in the Agile world that just don't make a whole lot of sense. Might want to visit the Agile Manifesto to see how those ideas compare and contrast with your own.

Beyond that, you may want to ask yourself why you want/need to utilize those documents? That's not to say that they're not meaningful...but they're not often used in the Agile world. For example, in my current environment, we developed a test plan/strategy document roughly 4.5 years ago...and that's the last we saw of it. Gone and forgotten.

--------------------
Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

BreaksStuff

Reged: 02/17/12
Re: Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile [Re: JCTreb]
      #698866 - 02/17/12 08:40 AM

Maybe I can help. I work for a very large company that has adopted an Agile-like development cycle and still requires test strategy and test plans.

I have to agree, they are not as useful in Agile - you don't have an entire QA organization in a Waterfall environment just waiting to be handed an executable. You have a team of people working together and working quickly.

Our test strategies tend to focus on the types of tests that will be done and by whom, how they are measured and validated and reported on and to whom up the food chain.

My test plan is basically a spreadsheet of these tests, mapped out by sprint, and when some of the "bigger" bulk of more specialized tests will be run. It also includes done criteria.

For example, my test strategy reflects the test areas that should be covered - functional correctness, security, performance, etc.

The functional correctness looks a little like this, to give you an idea: peer programming, code checks, code reviews, etc - typical focus early on in early sprints. Tests of new functionality later in sprints, with a strong focus on regression towards the end of the sprint cycle. Who will do these tests, how they are verified and measured and reported... Module integration tests, Scenario integration tests, etc.

And so on and so forth. More than anything, I find it helpful only because it serves as a reminder to the team regarding what we've committed to, and to myself so I don't loose track.

It helps to remember that the purpose of Agile is to build quality into the product from the very beginning.

MansoorShaikh

Reged: 07/18/07
Loc: Mumbai
Re: Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile [Re: BreaksStuff]
      #698915 - 02/18/12 02:03 AM

In the Scrum planning meeting, when the product owner highlight the prioritized items to be picked up for the Scrum iteration, the developers talk about how they are going to build it, discuss issues around it. This is when the QA can ask all the questions to clarify all queries pertaining to the current user story being discussed and define your test cases along with acceptance test cases in the planning meeting. Also, it helps to be more pro-active and discuss test strategy with other team members. In Agile the difference between dev and QA tends to become vague which really helps.

In my experience in scrum, we used to have user stories card, and on the back of it, we used to write acceptance test cases to test that user stories right in the planning meeting. It becomes easy to get those reviewed with all members in the planning meeting itself when everyone is discussion the user story.

Thanks,
Mansoor

Thanks,
Mansoor

--------------------
Thanks,
Mansoor
About Me QTP Inside Out

Jose_Eraldo

Reged: 07/06/12
Re: Test Strategy and Test PLan documents in Agile [Re: MansoorShaikh]
      #714061 - 08/08/12 08:47 AM

This question has been doubted for many people. Around 2009 I started a research on this subject, where I have discussed and enhanced with various professionals.
As a contribution, I'm posting on a blog to share with the community QA on testing process in Agile development.
You can access http://agiletestbr.blogspot.com.br, the content is from the beginning of design through product delivery.
Make good use of the blog!
Tks

Edited by Jose_Eraldo (08/08/12 09:04 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, michaeljf, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7919

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums