Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> General Discussion

Pages: 1
Crimson_Quality_Assurance

Reged: 01/13/12
Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards
      #695767 - 01/13/12 08:01 AM

Hello all,

I want to start off by saying thank you for any and all help that is provided as I know it is done with your free time and done out of pure kindness. I'll start off by giving a bit of background and then loop back around to what I am seeking.

I have been a functional or manual tester for about 3-4 years now. I didn't go to school for that but my first Co-op got me into the industry and i've taken it from there. I am currently about a year in working for a very small company in which I am their only tester. Our products don't have any form of requirements and are huge and the documentation is suspect at best. It is a downloadable client based product with a web resource we also provide our clients. In my time here I have been able to setup various test cases and even did some Selenium tests for the web product but I admit my technical knowledge is rather limited.

I am posting because my boss and I talked and agree that one of my responsibilities will be to to keep up with and help implement industry standards for the testing side of what we do. I'm still certainly in a situation where I don't know a whole lot but I am willing to do whatever it takes to continue to help us grow and have quality products. I also don't know for sure how I should handle working on a product that has nothing in the form of requirements or good documentation which makes testing and developing a handful. I don't know whether some form of requirements or documentation should be more of a focus of mine or if it's way too late to think about that and my focus should be elsewhere. I also don't really know where the industry is headed but i'd love to start to learn. I've investigated things like load testing tools etc.. but most of them are over my head.

Any tips knowledge or experience provided is certainly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rapidtester

Reged: 12/04/11
Re: Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards [Re: Crimson_Quality_Assurance]
      #695769 - 01/13/12 08:27 AM

Your situation sounds interesting, and I would be glad to help; I'm sure others here are too.

I recommend descirbing the situation (or, even better, a specific problem) in more detail; right now it's kind of difficult to find a starting point.

Also, putting your email in your profile might help you get more feedback.

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards [Re: Crimson_Quality_Assurance]
      #695771 - 01/13/12 08:42 AM

Quote:

my boss and I talked and agree that one of my responsibilities will be to to keep up with and help implement industry standards for the testing side of what we do.

Any tips knowledge or experience provided is certainly appreciated.

Whenever my boss asks me to do something and I don't understand what it is, I spend some time with him getting clarification before I try to accomplish it.

My suggestion is that your first step should be to set up a meeting with your boss and ask questions like "what do you mean by industry standards"?

His answers will help guide you.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

Re: Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #695773 - 01/13/12 08:58 AM

Basically my boss is saying he's not keeping up on what's going on in the testing industry and it's my job to keep up on it and help implement any and all testing within the company.

It's a GREAT opportunity that I really value but I also don't necessarily know where to start beyond the basic manual tests I have setup to test the product as best as possible. It certainly has helped provide a cleaner product but now i'm seeking to move forward and add more to what we do if that's possible for one man to do while doing daily testing tasks. So i'm looking at automation, load testing, or anything really that I can do to add more value. Our devs currently do some junit tests but they are more of a side project at best.

So really there isn't one particular area it's more what will provide value and be something a small company could afford to get into to increase our coverage. I have been enjoying the forum, as any knowledge I can gain is certainly helpful in improving the QA work I can do in the office.

Edited by Crimson_Quality_Assurance (01/13/12 09:11 AM)

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Tampa Bay
      #695775 - 01/13/12 09:07 AM

Quote:

Also, putting your email in your profile might help you get more feedback.

rapidtester, we certainly recommend that as being preferable to doing as some have done - embed it in their post. However, we discourage private offline assistance, since this is a forum, and we prefer that advice is available to everyone.

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Re: Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #695776 - 01/13/12 09:09 AM

Aaron, rapidtester suggested you put it in your profile not the body of a post. Also, read my response above.

#695778 - 01/13/12 09:12 AM

ahh I was confused because my e-mail is already in my profile .

Joe Strazzere

#695781 - 01/13/12 09:25 AM

Quote:

Basically my boss is saying he's not keeping up on what's going on in the testing industry and it's my job to keep up on it and help implement any and all testing within the company.

It's a GREAT opportunity that I really value but I also don't necessarily know where to start beyond the basic manual tests I have setup to test the product as best as possible. It certainly has helped provide a cleaner product but now i'm seeking to move forward and add more to what we do if that's possible for one man to do while doing daily testing tasks. So i'm looking at automation, load testing, or anything really that I can do to add more value.

Got it.

I suspect working on the "products don't have any form of requirements and are huge and the documentation is suspect at best" issue might go a long way toward improving quality and testability.

--------------------
- Joe

Joe Strazzere

#695782 - 01/13/12 09:26 AM

Quote:

ahh I was confused because my e-mail is already in my profile .

??? Not that I can see...

http://www.sqaforums.com/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=210216

--------------------
- Joe

#695784 - 01/13/12 09:34 AM

I had it set on the admin view but not for everyone to see. it should be there now.

Any tips on requirement tools or books about writing requirements? I don't have a ton of extra time to do this but it's something I can try to work on whenever I get the opportunity.

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

#695800 - 01/13/12 03:15 PM

Yup! It's there now!

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

#695801 - 01/13/12 03:22 PM

Aaron, I think we have a link to recommended books (there are a bunch of them) somewhere on this site - probably pinned to the top of one of the forums. Maybe someone else knows the exact location.

Corey_G
Veteran

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: Boston, MA
      #695802 - 01/13/12 03:43 PM

it is a fast moving industry.

my advice is: *read*, *read*, *read*.

you should be spending several hours per week reading industry blog posts, websites, books, etc.

--------------------
Corey Goldberg
Homepage: goldb.org
Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Joe Strazzere

Re: Fresh Tester seeking info on industry standards [Re: Corey_G]
      #695808 - 01/13/12 06:39 PM

Here's one list:
http://www.allthingsquality.com/2011/11/top-5-books-about-testing-and-quality.html

Here's a bigger one:
http://www.allthingsquality.com/2011/11/my-testers-bookshelf.html

--------------------
- Joe

#696026 - 01/17/12 12:03 PM

Thanks all, i'll try to take a look sometime this week as time permits.

Any recommended requirements handling tools that are relatively inexpensive or free? I know our extra assets are limited and something on the low end price wise would be easier to push if this starts to become more of a reality.

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
      #696093 - 01/18/12 07:41 AM

Crimson, start with what you have already and then move on to tools. If you really feel a need for a tool try a defect tracking system like Bugzilla, you can check the Open Source Testing site for links to free tools - http://www.opensourcetesting.org/

While requirements trackers are good they often require a larger group and buy in from outside teams, I'd suggest updating your communication with the dev team and get what YOU need first. I don't update my blog as much anymore but I have older posts on setting up a department when you are the only person that might be helpful.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich W., AJ, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2091

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums