Software Testing >> Usability & Accessibility Testing

Pages: 1
senorita2007

Reged: 08/28/08
Loc: Chennai/San Francisco
UAT and Usability testing
      #519317 - 09/23/08 06:55 PM

Hi,
Can I know the difference between the both or is it the same. If different can you please tell the difference.
Thanks

--------------------
Don't work harder, work smarter.

Edited by senorita2007 (09/23/08 06:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: senorita2007]
      #519464 - 09/24/08 04:25 AM

senorita2007,

Rather than creating dozens of "tell me the difference between x and y" posts, you might be better served to use Google or Wikipedia to help you research.

Meanwhile, compare these:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+usability+testing
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+user+acceptance+testing

Hopefully, you'll learn that the terms are indeed different, and can understand the differences.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

imemyself

Reged: 09/24/08
Loc: Bangalore
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #519984 - 09/25/08 08:54 PM

User Acceptance Testing(UAT) is generally done after the SIT(System Integration Testing) has been done. It is done by the end user.
Usability Testing is considered to be a part of System Testing done by the testing team. It is done to check how user friendly the aplication is.

UAT is usually done for all applications. Usability testing may or may not be done for all applications

montgomeryam

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Michigan
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: imemyself]
      #522974 - 10/08/08 09:54 AM

Quote:

Usability Testing is considered to be a part of System Testing done by the testing team.

This comment is so wrong on so many different levels. I'm not fully going to get into but please do your research before posting. Usability testing is done by using real end users and is done in the design phase initally waaayyyy before system testing.

Peter RuscoeModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: montgomeryam]
      #525551 - 10/20/08 04:53 AM

Quote:

Usability testing is done by using real end users and is done in the design phase initally waaayyyy before system testing.

That is ONE point of view. But it is not the only one. Your statement was as dogmatic (and narrow) as the one you slammed.

Uasability covers many aspects, some of which cannot be effectively tested until at least the application interface exists. Response times could also be considered a factor in usability, and while they can (up to a point) be included in the design, they cannot be tested until the AUT (or at least a part of it) has been built.

And who is to say that "real end users" are the only ones to perform usability testing?

montgomeryam

Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #525665 - 10/20/08 09:27 AM

I would hate for people to read imemyselfs posting and think that is Usability Testing. You could loosely take Usability testing and apply it to other things you mentioned but response times really shouldn't fall under Usability Testing as true Usability testing is the GUI front end and its ease of use and intuitiveness nature. Response time should be captured in Requirements and then tested through Load/Stress Testing. I see people on this site all the time slamming others for expressing different points of views and even just for asking questions in the wrong thread line. So I didnt think it was out of line for me to say.

I thought it was extremely important for the masses to understand what traditional Usability is and it's not just another type of testing that happens at the end of the lifecycle. It's extremely important to do it in the design phase for it to be cost effective. You also can conduct Usability testing at the end in construction but if you find major design/navigational issues then you've wasted a lot of $$ coding against a design that isn't effective and is flawed.

To most effectively perform Usability Testing you would want real end users because that's who your building the system for. You can have Usability experts perform Walkthroughs on the application or web site but if they would not be a true user of the product then you could miss some large usability issues that way.

So yes, much like everything you can take a topic like Usability Testing and define it in many ways. I was just trying to steer people to the core definition and practice where it's most cost effective and makes the most sense.

montgomeryam

#525736 - 10/20/08 01:45 PM

My statements are far from 'dogmatic' there are many resources all saying close to the same statements that I have also made throughout many of these threads. Some resources are:
http://www.usability.gov/basics/
http://usability.gov/pdfs/guidelines.html
http://web.mit.edu/ist/usability/usability-guidelines.html
http://jthom.best.vwh.net/usability/

just to list some....

Edited by montgomeryam (10/20/08 01:46 PM)

Peter RuscoeModerator
Veteran

#525754 - 10/20/08 03:03 PM

Quote:

true Usability testing is the GUI front end and its ease of use

And how do you test that at the design stage?

Quote:

This comment is so wrong on so many different levels.

I would hardly say that this is the way to start "steering people."

Dogmatism, by the way, is independent of the content. Whether what you say is supported by others does not affect whether it is "dogmatic."

montgomeryam

#525764 - 10/20/08 06:55 PM

You can test on prototypes or paper mock-ups in the design stage. We have had successes testing with each. You definitely get more detailed results when using a prototype since people react better when they can use something as if it were a 'real' application.

One definition of dogmatic is 'characterized by assertion of unproved or unprovable principles' so I was taking that angle of the definition when I supported my statements with including references to websites where this same content can be found.

andy_radmore

Reged: 04/24/08
Loc: Plymouth, England
      #573015 - 06/04/09 02:12 PM

If you test from paper mock ups and prototypes at the design stage you can iron out some usability issues and this is good to resolve some issues at an early stage. However in my experience testing in this way is all well and good but all to often the end solution does not match the prototypes or paper mockups as the design develops through construction.

The only way to ensure good quality usable software is to test it once the software has been produced and then to feed these usability issues back to the development team.

--------------------
Thanks
Andrew Radmore
www.testersrant.blogspot.com

mcroft

Reged: 04/17/00
Loc: UK
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: andy_radmore]
      #642944 - 09/21/10 05:50 AM

I would like to think that the performance of a given interface is part of usability... when looking at a users perception of a product (either standalone app or a web site) how quickly it responds can be attributed to the users attention span. Therefore it would be part of Usability ... developers need to engage their users via the UI if it runs like a dog then your going to loose users interest and eventually there trust in your product..

user perception is going to be driven by there collective experience of the type of product ... "is this web site easy to use and quick as a competitors" ;-)

--------------------
Martin Croft
Select Red Ltd

SanketVaidya

Reged: 09/09/08
Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: mcroft]
      #653738 - 12/23/10 09:44 PM

To me in simple words:

Usability Testing = To test how easy it will be for a new person to use the product.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Sanket Vaidya

See my tool Om for field testing at http://sourceforge.net/p/omfortesting/home/description/

Peter RuscoeModerator
Veteran

Re: UAT and Usability testing [Re: SanketVaidya]
      #653779 - 12/24/10 04:57 PM

Too simple. Change "new person" to "any person" and I would accept what you say up to a point. But "how easy" is hardly an objective measure.

mfsi_nilanjan

Reged: 10/12/11
      #688539 - 10/14/11 04:20 AM

Hi all,

Usability testing is a technique for ensuring that the
intended users of a system can carry out the
intended tasks efficiently, effectively and
satisfactorily.

Usability testing it is carried out pre-release so that
any significant issues identified can be addressed.
Usability testing can be carried out at various
stages of the design process. In the early stages,
however, techniques such as walkthroughs are
often more appropriate.

A usability testing session should be attended by:
A representative user
A test host.
It is highly recommended to also have in
attendance as observers:
At least 1 developer.
At least 1 business representative.

In otherhand UAT testing means USER Acceptance testing.

Before the User Acceptance testing can be done the application is fully developed.
Various levels of testing (Unit, Integration and System) are already completed before User Acceptance Testing is done. As

various levels of testing have been completed most of the technical bugs have already been fixed before UAT.

During this type of testing the specific focus is the exact real world usage of the application. The Testing is done in an

environment that simulates the production environment generally known as PROD move.
The Test cases are written using real world scenarios for the application to check whether the delivered product should be acceptable or not.

The steps taken for User Acceptance Testing typically involve one or more of the following:
1) User Acceptance Test (UAT) Planning
2) Designing UA Test Cases
3) Selecting a Team that would execute the (UAT) Test Cases
4) Executing Test Cases
5) Documenting the Defects found during UAT
6) Resolving the issues/Bug Fixing
7) Sign Off

Thanks
Nilanjan.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  martinh, Peter Ruscoe, AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums