Home
BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> QAChat.net (Chitchat)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: High-functioning autistic people to work as tester [Re: RR1740]
      #621618 - 04/09/10 07:52 AM

Quote:

You must be joking (being Asperger, I cannot tell ).
I guess you think Hitler was a pacifist, Stalin was a girl and Elvis is alive. Am I correct in any?

There's no need for you to guess. Read what I wrote again. See if I indicated what I think about any of them.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RR1740
Advanced Member

Reged: 01/16/07
Loc: Gouda - Netherlands
Re: High-functioning autistic people to work as tester [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #621720 - 04/10/10 07:09 AM

Quote:

There's no need for you to guess. Read what I wrote again. See if I indicated what I think about any of them.

You wrote: "You can ascribe whatever attributes you like to a dead person."

This means, by use of the word 'any', that you can ascribe girliness to Stalin and alive to Elvis Presley. Of course you can. You can also ascribe the color red to white snow. Well: I ascribe the attribute nonsense to such statements. But before doing that, please tell me if this - nonsense - is what you mean to convey. Because in that case I really missed out on a joke.

--------------------
RR

Joe Strazzere

#621734 - 04/10/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

But before doing that, please tell me if this - nonsense - is what you mean to convey. Because in that case I really missed out on a joke.

I'll try one more time.

You can choose to ascribe Autism or Asbergers or Schizophrenia or any other condition to any dead person you choose - Einstein, Newton, Jesus, whatever. Feel free.

Since they are all dead, nobody can prove you wrong, and nobody can prove you right.

But your statement implying that there is any certainty in the diagnosis of one of these dead folks is indeed nonsense.

I hope this was clear enough.

--------------------
- Joe

RR1740
Advanced Member

Reged: 01/16/07
Loc: Gouda - Netherlands
      #621743 - 04/11/10 01:51 AM

Quote:

Since they are all dead, nobody can prove you wrong, and nobody can prove you right.

But your statement implying that there is any certainty in the diagnosis of one of these dead folks is indeed nonsense.

I hope this was clear enough.

Thanks for the retry.
I understand this and I simply disagree.
Both Asperger and schizofrenia, as well as manic depression and psychopathology and some other conditions have a set of clear symptoms that may be deduced from biographies of deceased people.

You cannot ascribe schizofrenia, manic depression or psychopathology to Einstein because there is nothing in his biography that points to his having one of these conditions. Contrary to Asperger. That condition is as easy to prove (read: to make a case for) with Einstein as it is in any living person. The problem with 'proving' it is actually the same.

I used the example of psychopathology because, although the conditions are vastly different, even mirroringly different, one could sometimes be hard pressed to distinguish it from Asperger. Although both Aspergers and psychopaths themselves (given that they know either concept) would laugh at any confusion with these.

--------------------
RR

Edited by RR1740 (04/11/10 01:53 AM)

Testingxxx

Reged: 08/31/07
      #622179 - 04/14/10 02:45 AM

Quote:

....I understand this and I simply disagree.
Both Asperger and schizofrenia, as well as manic depression and psychopathology and some other conditions have a set of clear symptoms that may be deduced from biographies of deceased people.

I don't buy it.

cybersurf

Reged: 12/15/09
      #687738 - 10/06/11 08:52 AM

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/...oftware-testing

--------------------
Software Testing, Second Edition: "Intelligently weighing the risks and reducing the infinite possibilities to a manageable effective set is where the magic is."

rtehve

Reged: 08/21/00
Loc: Elanora Heights, NSW, Australi...
Re: High-functioning autistic people to work as tester [Re: cybersurf]
      #687921 - 10/08/11 02:36 PM

cybersurf

Interesting collection of half truths and opinions but with no data or any real proof.

Sure people with disabilities can be employed in positive ways which is admiral in a sheltered workshop way.

I would also agree some may make good testers, but to prove that they will all be good at testing because of their condition or even superior is very doubtful at best.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

cybersurf

Reged: 12/15/09
Re: High-functioning autistic people to work as tester [Re: rtehve]
      #688298 - 10/12/11 11:12 AM

Quote:

Interesting collection of half truths and opinions but with no data or any real proof.

Gravity is just a theory that could some day be replaced by a better theory when we have more information to support it.

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."

Quote:

Sure people with disabilities can be employed in positive ways which is admiral in a sheltered workshop way.

Sheltering people creates an environment that is ill prepared to deal with reality.

Quote:

I would also agree some may make good testers, but to prove that they will all be good at testing because of their condition or even superior is very doubtful at best.

I believe every person has a unique contribution to bring to any software testing effort. Wouldn't you agree?

--------------------
Software Testing, Second Edition: "Intelligently weighing the risks and reducing the infinite possibilities to a manageable effective set is where the magic is."

Robert Martin

Reged: 03/22/06
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
      #688307 - 10/12/11 12:16 PM

Quote:

Sheltering people creates an environment that is ill prepared to deal with reality.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a person with any disabilities but I did, for a time, have a physical problem that needed help (I broke my leg). I personally found it insulting when people INSISTED that I needed help doing things that I was perfectly capable of doing myself. Yeah, ya know, it was a little harder and some of my solutions were a bit unconventional, but when the convention is built around having two working legs, unconventional is the only way to go.

I would assume that the same could be for people with problems with processing information (dyslexia and aphasia). Or with someone who sees the world with a completely different mindset (autism to an extent, Ausbergers, etc). They probably are MORE than capable of performing tasks that we do when given the chance. Sheltering them and saying "You can't do that" seems a little insulting... how do I know they can't if I don't let them make the attempt?

--------------------
-Robert Martin
Automated Testing Evangelists
TestComplete "expert"
Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

rtehve

Reged: 08/21/00
Loc: Elanora Heights, NSW, Australi...
Re: High-functioning autistic people to work as tester [Re: Robert Martin]
      #688335 - 10/12/11 10:16 PM

cybersurf

"I believe every person has a unique contribution to bring to any software testing effort. Wouldn't you agree? "

No

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Joe Strazzere

#688372 - 10/13/11 04:13 AM

Quote:

I believe every person has a unique contribution to bring to any software testing effort. Wouldn't you agree?

My mother would have a unique contribution to bring to any software testing effort (think: pasta with lobster sauce).

That doesn't mean she could test software.

--------------------
- Joe

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
      #688387 - 10/13/11 06:10 AM

Unique != Value

Although I am sure some conditions are able to gear people towards some professions more than others, it's a matter of matching skill sets not whether or not someone is autistic or whatever.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Shane_MacLaughlin

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #688390 - 10/13/11 06:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My mother would have a unique contribution to bring to any software testing effort (think: pasta with lobster sauce).

That doesn't mean she could test software.

If she's bringing pasta with lobster sauce to the party, she'll always be welcome, regardless of whether she can test software

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Rich W., blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11088

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums