Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Web Testing

Pages: 1
robgage

Reged: 02/07/11
mobile web testing
      #659471 - 02/07/11 07:43 AM

I work for a uk based insurance company who sells general insurance. To date all of the development and testing has been on windows based PC's

As with everyone else there is an appetite to look at the site from different platforms, and the main focus from the top is device testing.

Are there any tips out there on the best approach to test as I dont know where to start.

Is it worth looking at emulators, or do i need to get some devices into the test lab?
Any pitfalls or issues that you have come across?
Any tools out there that can do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

For those that need some more detail it will be a .net web app to allow quote and buy, and self service operations for car and home using the mvc2 framework

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eric1991

Reged: 01/27/11
Re: mobile web testing [Re: robgage]
      #659674 - 02/08/11 12:20 PM

Our company simply purchased 3 of the major phones that use web browsing.

- Android
- IPhone
- Blackberry

We test on these platforms.

FYI, you may want to test on an iPad also. But I believe the iPad uses the Safari mobile browser. Also, the XOOM is coming out soon, which is Android's answer to the tablet wars. I believe that comes out in March or late February.

Edited by Eric1991 (02/08/11 12:21 PM)

tc_spacemonkey

Reged: 06/18/12
Re: mobile web testing [Re: Eric1991]
      #710116 - 06/18/12 11:51 AM

First Glance: Browser mobile device emulator are ok

Cheap alternative: iOS emulator shipped with xcode

Nothing beats the actual device. I don't feel confident until I see the app working on all supported devices. Even the small differences between iPhone and iPad can sometimes be a killer in my world.

jcr73

Reged: 06/13/12
Re: mobile web testing [Re: tc_spacemonkey]
      #710630 - 06/25/12 07:06 AM

I also feel like purchasing devices is best, but getting a bunch of phones can be expensive. If the testing is going to be shorter term, maybe try Device Anywhere (a mobile device remote desktop service). I've used that a lot and it's great for when the client wants a particular device tested that I don't have available.

SanketVaidya

Reged: 09/09/08
Re: mobile web testing [Re: jcr73]
      #711186 - 06/30/12 10:40 PM

Quote:

1. Is it worth looking at emulators, or do i need to get some devices into the test lab?
2. Any pitfalls or issues that you have come across?
3. Any tools out there that can do it?

1. Depends on the project budget & other factors. If such testing occurs regularly, purchase the device.
2. I haven't come across any pifalls. But I have tested for mobile devices only once.
3. I used ios on mac, which simulates iphone & ipod. But I am sure there would be lot of simulators available for other devices & OS on internet..

--------------------
Best Regards,
Sanket Vaidya

See my tool Om for field testing at http://sourceforge.net/p/omfortesting/home/description/

Neha_

Reged: 06/15/11
Loc: India
Re: mobile web testing [Re: SanketVaidya]
      #711197 - 07/01/12 08:30 PM

I usually use http://www.mobilephoneemulator.com/ , http://www.ipadpeek.com and http://www.iphonetester.com .

These sites are really very helpful in tracking the issues exist on the mobile version of the site.

jively

Reged: 07/24/12
Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: mobile web testing [Re: Neha_]
      #712874 - 07/24/12 02:45 AM

Mobile testing is a real pain, but there's a few workarounds before sinking cost into hardware:
  • Test in browsers, particularly focus on Webkit (not good for display emulation though)
  • Try the emulators, the Android one will emulate a whole host of different devixes (but is slow as a dog to start up), as is the XCode emulator

Your main issue with buying new kit will be that new versions of the OS keep shipping and fragmentation WILL occur - i.e. you have Chrome on Android and iPhone now, but they use different JavaScript engines.

So I'd say generalise as far as you can, and if the project can afford it, prioritise for a set of devices that you are positive will be used, then focus on graceful degradation.

--------------------
Founder @ Loadzen, Load test your website in the cloud.

AlacratStore

Reged: 09/24/12
Re: mobile web testing [Re: jively]
      #716903 - 09/24/12 06:35 AM

A mobile tester should have some knowledge of the mobile networks and the handsets under test. A web tester should have some knowledge of how web technologies are used in a web site. Different standards apply to mobile testing and web testing.

--------------------
crochet

lewisfrancis

Reged: 10/04/12
Re: mobile web testing [Re: AlacratStore]
      #717515 - 10/04/12 01:13 PM

We've had a subscription to http://deviceanywhere.com for a some time now, it's essentially a tool that allows you to remotely control real devices via an interface mockup that transmits your control information to the remote device and returns a video of the display.

Not cheap, but cheaper than buying 100 phones and maintaining service plans. I do supplement this with common real devices, which are much faster to work with and are always available, which the devices on DeviceAnywhere are sometimes in use by other subscribers.

DanielChelliah

Reged: 10/16/12
Re: mobile web testing [Re: Eric1991]
      #718096 - 10/16/12 02:49 AM

Quote:

Our company simply purchased 3 of the major phones that use web browsing.

- Android
- IPhone
- Blackberry

We test on these platforms.

FYI, you may want to test on an iPad also. But I believe the iPad uses the Safari mobile browser. Also, the XOOM is coming out soon, which is Android's answer to the tablet wars. I believe that comes out in March or late February.

I think it's a good idea to work out what your user base will be using. On a recent retail banking mobile project that I was on, it was identified that iOS and Android were the most popular among our user base so we tested with iPhone 4S, iPhone 3 and Samsung Galaxy S2.

Device testing can also be a pain compared to website testing. Each device can treat your app different and the rendering of text, page layout etc is sometimes very different.

Are you able to elaborate more on the nature of the mobile app you'll be testing?
1) Is it a web based mobile app or a device based mobile app?
2) What is the specific functionality of the app?
3) Are your user base paying for the app?
4) What's the time frame and resources that you have at your disposal?

--------------------
iLoveTesting.com - The coolest NEW site for software testing covering web apps, mobile apps & software products.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, prtester, Joe Strazzere, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7846

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums