Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
ilias

Reged: 04/14/08
automated creation of test cases
      #609084 - 01/12/10 01:58 AM

I have noticed that when you have a large web application and you keep adding stuff to it through years, there are itterations of steps inside each test case. In fact since the very first release there were iterations of the exact steps throughout the entire functionality. In many cases there are also patterns of steps that need to be repeated in order to test the application correctly. So I was wondering is there some sorf ot program that can do this for me ? Write the test case based on the new parameters (requirements) i'm introducing to the system and off course on the new busines logic.

For instance, having a submition form in any sort of requirements is something common. There are basic rules and functionalities when dealing with a form. You complete the form, you submit it and there is some sort of validation in the process of submission or completion. You may also reset or cancel the form which will return you to the original state of the form or to the previous page. Now the only thing that will change is the fields but it seems that everytime i want to write a new test case for that sort of fucntionality I have to re-write and even test the same basic characteristics that define forms in general. How can I bundle this ? or create a reusable template ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: ilias]
      #609102 - 01/12/10 04:36 AM

There are plenty of test case management systems out there, whether they do everything you want I don't know, but I think a few of them do some of what you need. Having systems dynamically make new scenarios or workflows, I don't know, seems like a stretch as there are lots of variables when adjusting existing systems with new code. You could probably start here to get an idea of what is available as open source if you don't have the budget for a commercial system.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

brentpaineModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: michaeljf]
      #609135 - 01/12/10 06:52 AM

You raise a great point. I don't think I've come across a product, myself, that does this sort of thing, but it does make sense and I've done in for a couple projects I worked on.

I guess you might consider this a test design framwork of sorts. Basically what you might consider is linking every test case with a parent test case so instead of writing full test cases for each test, you simply need to write steps that are specific to that test.

In the even that every form looks the same and functions the same, other than the fields being entered. Then, as you say, you could reuse a lot of information.

You might even have a Form "class" of test cases. So something like this:

-Form Appearance
-Form Submit
-Form Cancel
-Form X-Button
-Form Textbox Min
-Form Textbox Max
-Form Radio
-Form Checkbox
-Form ...

And so on. Generally speaking, a great percentage of the testing that we do is based on experience and previously executed tests and/or bugs. Think of configuration testing. Why would we EVER think to test against a Nvidia graphics card AND an ATI graphics card, they're both the same, right?!?!

But I digress, by building this sort of model you can things such as telling a tester to "Execute Test Case 'Form Textbox Max (50)'" Indicating test for a maximum field length of 50.

It can be a robust system, but I think that at the same time, just as with any framework, it can take time to model and develop because it's NOT in a box at your local BestBuy.

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
--------------------

ilias

Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: brentpaine]
      #609655 - 01/15/10 02:18 AM

@michaeljf

I've check some of the most popular of those tools you mentioned. Thing is, I want something simpler than that. I do not require any sort of automation testing or results gathering etc etc, i'll be bothered with those later on, after I have some sort of proper test plan that can be updated properly through time.

I basically need something that helps me write the test cases and manage those after each release without having to re-write everything from scratch. Currently i'm doing this by hand and using Word only! I'm trying to find the dependancies myself and the scroll over in endless documents to see the relation to other cases so i can create some sort of inheritance in my test plans. But all this is on "paper" without following specific process apart from "Requirements translated to Test Cases" and simple "Word Search". This is very very difficult to maintain and each release makes the previous test plans/test cases obsolete because i simply can't be bothered with previous test plans.

What i currently have to do is to update the old test plans according to newer requirements ..which is a nightmare to do since they are just documents and at the same time develop new cases or plans for new functionality which might also affect existing functionality. I can't manage all those things and the web application is quite large and its been an ongoing development process for the past 2 years. It's a freakin nightmare I tell you :P.

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: ilias]
      #609694 - 01/15/10 06:43 AM

Did you look at the Test Management Tools? Many of these will do some of what you want, TestLink or TestTopia maybe (I investigated them some but not completely). I think many of us have been in the situation you are in, honestly its going to be tough with almost anything, unless you buy and set up a commercial tool. I've done Word Test Plans, Excel Test Cases and Fitnesse wiki pages/tests and pretty much everything nees work to update and maintain, because the cases can change (I always look at them as living documents).

You might try looking for Test Case Management software on Google and try what you find in the results and see what works for you.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

jimhazen

Reged: 01/31/02
Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: michaeljf]
      #609789 - 01/17/10 10:58 AM

Ilias,

You are more or less talking about a "Modeling" tool for test case generation from what I read and understand. You want to generate/regenerate test cases as the functionality changes.

I suggest looking at Hexawise, www.hexawise.com for the combinatorial/pair wise generation you are talking about. Also, there are a couple of tools out of Europe that model and generate tests. Conformiq at http://www.conformiq.com/home.php and SmartTesting (aka Leirios) at http://www.smartesting.com/index.php/cms/en/home.

By Googling you get this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...d+t&aqi=g10

Here is a good article I found while doing research on this myself: http://blog.testlabs.com/2009/10/model-based-testing-for-web_30.html

Check out the following and see if it also fits your needs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-based_testing.

--------------------
Jim
-------------------------------------------
For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Ashwin_Palaparthi

Reged: 06/24/07
Loc: Hyderabad, AP, India
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: jimhazen]
      #609823 - 01/17/10 11:39 PM

Just to add -

For reducing the test combinations; and have an optimized test suite for combinatorial testing (which achieves a reasonable coverage while finding many common defects) one can explore 'Pairwise Testing', if not already done.

www.pairiwse.org lists many tools and papers on the topic. There is also a Pairwise Test Case Generator and a few other tools such as data generators at www.TestersDesk.com (a free online toolkit for the testing community).

www.generatedata.com also provides good data generation capabilities, should you need a lot of seed data in your web app database.

Of course, nothing can beat human judgment!

--------------------
Ashwin Palaparthi

• www.testersdesk.com- The Online Tool Platform for Software Testers.
  • Building test engineering tools & training test engineers is what value-creation means to me in the race of Deterministic Technology.

RaviLandu

Reged: 06/07/05
Loc: Bangalore
Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: Ashwin_Palaparthi]
      #610171 - 01/20/10 01:05 AM

To undersstand the problem correctly:
There are different features/pages/screens in the application which are similar. Similarity in the presence of components in the page and the work it does.
So, while writing test cases, usually we need to repeat the test cases for each and every feature/page.
Since they are similar, is there a way to minimize the effort and work?

(The title specifies "Automated...." which made everyone think of some or the other tool to write test cases.)

Ilias, please confirm if my understanding of the Question is correct.

ilias

Re: automated creation of test cases [Re: RaviLandu]
      #610433 - 01/21/10 06:47 AM

The past week has been very exciting for me. I have setup Testlink 1.85 as michaelfj suggested and started mapping the test cases for some small projects, just to get the feel of the application. It seems that testlink will save me lots of time when it comes to test case management.

However there are still some issues regarding reusability and creating different componets of a Test specification. Like in programming, you can easily get lost in how to organise your scenarios as you're always trying to think a better way of writting test cases, creating more reusable components so that you don't have to write every test case from scratch. The tricky part is that most of the times I follow this strategy I end up with a 3 step test case that has 6-7 test case dependancies, which isn't very ideal when you start running the test plan. So I guess you need to know where to draw the line between test case design and test case readability. I suspect that heavily fragmented-interrelated test plans are ok if your test plan execution is done by scripts (automated testing), but it's another story when those are being executed by humans.

Off course i'm not expecting an application to do everything for me. For the time being i'm happy with Testlink. I'll max out its capabilities in contrast to my needs then i'll start looking for some advanced ways to write and run test plans.

i hope i answered your questions RaviLandu

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3902

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums