Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Usability & Accessibility Testing

Pages: 1
Dave_Wilson

Reged: 10/29/09
Manual Testing for 508 Compliance
      #598960 - 10/29/09 12:02 PM

I am looking for guidance on how to manual test a web application for 508 compliance. I have tried several automated tools for this test, with no success. The web application was developed in PL/SOL.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Krish_Jayaratne

Reged: 10/19/03
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Manual Testing for 508 Compliance [Re: Dave_Wilson]
      #599047 - 10/29/09 10:39 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what level of guidance you are looking for or how familiar you are with section 508. If you look at the section 508 guidelines, it defines functional and non-functional behaviors of application that will help users with disabilities to use the application as others do.

For example, it says screen readers should be able to access GUI objects of the application so that blind users will be able to use the application. And color should not be the only differentiator between two icons that represent different objects, (if I remember correct) users should be able to use the application using Keyboard only etc. etc.

You can look at the guidelines from www.section508.gov, or if you search the web there are a few checklists available.

Most of the tests does not require special software, but we used a screen reader to read the display. But with Vista and above, you get it with Windows (if this is a windows application).

This is a self-certified standard (which means if all the tests are passed, you can say it is compliant - there is no external verification required as for Windows logo). In case if your application is unable to provide a certain functionality due to a limitation of current technology, I think there is a provision to have exemptions.

Hope this helps.

Krish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  martinh, Peter Ruscoe, AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6583

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums