Training
News
Links
Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Software Process Improvement

Pages: 1
Nazsh28

Reged: 01/15/09
When New version of application can be released?
      #543614 - 01/15/09 10:07 PM

After how many bug fixes, new version of application can be released? Is there any standard for it?

In my company we are using agile methodology, and some time developer team after fixing just one bug, they release the new version of application . So, at the end we may have so many cycle for testing. Any suggestion ? After how many bug fixes new version should be released? ( After one critical, 10 normal, ...)

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jmg
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/11/08
Re: When New version of application can be released? [Re: Nazsh28]
      #543676 - 01/16/09 03:27 AM

Hi Nazlie,

What do you mean by release? Release to QA (go and test and give us feedback as we continue with the development), or Release to Production (go and test, in case there is nothing wrong then push it out the door)?

If you are talking about the later one, the decision to push something out the door should not come from the developer or even the dev manager, but from the group who is in charge of your product. This is something that takes into account the needs of the business and thus there are some occasions when you release after one fix that is very critical for your customers.

If it is the former one, and this is when the development pushes a build to QA that is part of a more complex delivery, then you should be able to judge whether you take that release into your testing cycle or if you continue and only take a build with the deliverables you need. The fact that someone pressed the "build" should not dictate (hopefully) your testing approach.

Finally, what you describe above does not sound like AGILE methodology, although it sounds like a problem many groups are having where they mistake AGILE with ANARCHY...

--------------------
-joel
9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
PractiTest QABlog - Testing Blog

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: When New version of application can be released? [Re: Nazsh28]
      #543696 - 01/16/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

After how many bug fixes, new version of application can be released? Is there any standard for it?

I've never heard of a standard that tied the release of an application to the number of bug fixes.

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
Re: When New version of application can be released? [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #543706 - 01/16/09 04:57 AM

I've heard of criteria for how many known defects can be released. But as Joe said... see above.

michaeljfModerator
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: When New version of application can be released? [Re: JakeBrake]
      #543734 - 01/16/09 06:43 AM

Its all about Risk Mitigation, like Joel I am not sure if you mean Release to QA or Release to Production because there are different consequences in either one.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Nazsh28

Reged: 01/15/09
Re: When New version of application can be release [Re: michaeljf]
      #543945 - 01/17/09 12:23 PM

Thank you so much for your response.

I meant release to QA. When developers release the new version of application to QA, usually QA starts with the quick smoke test to make sure main functions of the application work properly. Meanwhile if testers find any critical bug, they should report a bug, and developer team should fix the critical bugs and release another version. If the QA team doesnt find any bug during smoke test, then they do the functional tests. During this time/cycle, if QA find any minor or normal bug, they should report, and developer team at the same time should fix the problem but not release another version. This interrupts testing because in every release, tester should do the quick smoke test first and I expect, developers dont publish n+1 version just after fixing one or two minor bugs. Any suggestion?

jmg
Advanced Member

Reged: 06/11/08
Re: When New version of application can be release [Re: Nazsh28]
      #543959 - 01/17/09 07:33 PM

1. Are developers running any sort of tests before they release a build to you? It is expected of them to run a sort of integration or smoke test as well to make sure nothing trivial is escaping their hands. In some cases you are the one to define the scenarios for this very short test cycle.

2. The way you are working, where you get micro releases with 1 or 2 fixes, is not something you use all the time since it tends to waste to much time of the QA and at the same time it is close to impossible to go deep into the application and start finding the NOT-TRIVIAL bugs that hide behind the complex scenarios.
I prefer to work based on defined coverage scenarios and receive builds once I am done with them.

The 2 exceptions I make to this rule are:
1. I found a COMPLETE SHOWSTOPPER that blocks a big part of my scenario
2. If I am on final product test, and thus my cycle is short and it is based on the fact that I will not test another build (and even here I keep testing while they fix the issue to make sure there is nothing more there).

I think you need to talk to your Dev Manager and communicate your concerns, at the end of the day the decision is not one where you need to optimize the time for the QA or Dev, but where you work in a way that releases your product as soon as possible and with the confidence level you desire.

Good Luck,

--------------------
-joel
9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
PractiTest QABlog - Testing Blog

TestingInnovation

Reged: 02/03/09
Re: When New version of application can be release [Re: jmg]
      #547941 - 02/04/09 11:21 AM

If your team is finding bugs during smoke testing phase then, as joel said, having a smoke test suite would help. Let the developer run the smoke test suite before handing build to you. I would not accept any build that has not been qualified by some smoke level testing...

--------------------
=================================
Testing is invigorating...
http://testinginnovation.wordpress.com/

TestingMentor

Reged: 12/28/06
Loc: Seattle, Washington
Re: When New version of application can be release [Re: TestingInnovation]
      #547997 - 02/04/09 03:56 PM

Basically, it sounds like your 'smoke test' is a build verification and/or build acceptance test (BVT/BAT) suite.

The BVT/BAT suite is a baseline set of tests to establish the stability of each new build.

Not all tests in the BVT/BAT suite need to pass; however, similar to other test suites your tests should be prioritized so failing tests will help you determine whether the new build is kicked back to development (or the build team) or is released for testing.

For example, if the build does not contain all the necessary files, or the files are the wrong build #, then it is probably a candidate to kick back. If certain functional areas of the product are broken, then your BAT tests must help you determine if testing can proceed in other areas; or re-stated can testing still make progress in other areas of the product that are (mostly) unaffected by the blocked area.

Then the question becomes who owns/runs the BVT/BAT suite? In some cases the dev team may own it and run it. In some cases the test team may own it and run it. And in some cases the test team owns the suite and the dev team runs it. Find an approach that works best in your situation.

--------------------
- Bj -
I.M. Testy blog
Testing Mentor

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Daniel_S, michaeljf, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums