Links
Downloads

Software Testing >> Network & Distributed Testing

Pages: 1
Rebel_Soul

Reged: 01/06/09
protocol testing
      #541658 - 01/06/09 02:29 AM

Hi, I am a newbie in this field. Recently i have started to work for a R&D insitution. We are developing a protocol stack for wireless devices. Currently we have developed two layers (PHY and MAC) of our protocol stack, now its my job to test these layers by developing a test application. Right now i am numb and dont have any idea and confused about programming a test application. Although, ironicaly i have written a test document with many test scnearios, but still i am with cold feet.
Are there any white papers discussing how to test protocl(layer by layer basis), any example showing what does test application mean or how the test application interact with the different functions of each layer? I am unable to make a clear picture of the whole scenario. Any one with the experiece, plz guide me.

Best Regards
Rebel Soul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wookie919

Reged: 12/15/08
Re: protocol testing [Re: Rebel_Soul]
      #546696 - 01/29/09 04:09 PM

I used to work as a system tester at a company making network equipments such as switches and routers. The lowest level testing that I did that I can think of was performance testing a switch at layer 2 (frame switching based on MAC addresses).

It sounds like you need to build software "stubs" that would somehow test the software written for layer 1 (physical layer) and layer 2 (link layer) that will be used to drive the wireless network equipments.

All I can say to that is... wow, that is going to be so difficult. Wouldn't you basically have to write a program that simulates the actual wireless equipment (like a VM) and load the software that needs to be tested onto the simulated hardware, and test the connections between multiple instances of such simulated hardwares?

The first thing that comes to my mind is... is it even worths attempting to testing the functionallity of the software without the actual hardware where the software will be loaded onto?

If I had any say in it, I would limit testing of the software to low code level white box testing until the actual wireless equipment is ready (even at beta level). Then it becomes easier to test the software by testing with the actual hardware.

Cheers,
wookie919.

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
Re: protocol testing [Re: Rebel_Soul]
      #546699 - 01/29/09 04:49 PM

You might find this helpful as well:
http://www.wireshark.org/

mukulsinghal

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Delhi, India
Re: protocol testing [Re: JakeBrake]
      #575698 - 06/20/09 09:10 AM

I am working as a wireless protocol tester for the past 2.5 yrs. Based on what protocol you've implemented, I may help you.

Regards
Mukul

Satheeshtesting

Reged: 10/12/10
Re: protocol testing [Re: mukulsinghal]
      #645375 - 10/13/10 02:58 AM

Hi Mukul,

I have recently joined as manual tester. I am fresher to this field. I am very keen in security and wireless field. Please let me know what things to learn to become security tester or wireless tester?

Thanks in advance
Satheesh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  IanFraser, AJ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5978

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums