Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> Macintosh

Pages: 1
dmc18

Reged: 07/14/08
Help in Mac Automation
      #499528 - 07/14/08 02:23 AM

Hi,

I am evaluating the GUI Automation tools for Mac OS.I could find Redstone's Eggplant and Froglogic's Squish.
Anybody did a comparison of these tools?

Please suggest the best tool which can be used in this scenario.

Thanks
Dmc

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
prtesterModerator

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Help in Mac Automation [Re: dmc18]
      #499684 - 07/14/08 08:54 AM

Did you try searching the Redstone Eggplant forum under testing tools? Please check that and repost any specific mac testing concerns.

regards,

pr

--------------------
see my blog: www.sqablogs.com/rainbowtesting

dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Re: Help in Mac Automation [Re: prtester]
      #507881 - 08/12/08 01:38 PM

dmc,

You'll have to describe more of what you want to do. Both have their strenghs and weaknesses in various senarios.

Eggplant uses image recognition so in theory it's more powerful and you can do it if it's doable via UI. It has weaknesses in verification, since it's image based, text recognition involves a bit of optical character recognition which might get annoying. One major advange I say Eggplant does have is it can work with any sort of app since it uses visual manipulation, and doesn't say like Squish requires the being able to hook into the app. Which might be good for apps with high security that you can't normally hook into. It is also cross platform compatible since it uses VNC.

Squish works similar to QTP and popular windows automation paradigm in which you map objects and worth with them as objects. It makes verification easier in that you can verify directly against the object properties which makes it easier in that you don't have to do optical character recognition or other workarounds for simple verifications. On the downside, if your app isn't compatible with Squish, you're out of luck. Or if you can't easily reference an object, it's very hard to script in Squish. Say for example a Flash based application, you have an embedded application that's running under another application. There's no easy directly way of referencing something like that.

I'm sure both tools have released new versions since I've tried them out and have some methods of addressing certain faults. But in the end, the major driving factor depends on what you want to do. Eggplant is good for somethings while Squish is better in others.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

ThirumalRao

Reged: 01/06/11
Loc: California, United States
Re: Help in Mac Automation [Re: dlai]
      #661736 - 02/23/11 05:39 PM

Explore App Perfect too...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, prtester 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5960

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums