Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Requirements and Design

Pages: 1
AMarie31

Reged: 06/20/08
Test Case Question about email addy validation
      #497021 - 07/03/08 11:11 AM

Hello,

Im writing test cases for a data entry application. The user must provide their email address. I know that the email address format will need to be tested.

My question:
Do I include steps to validate the email address in each test case or should I create a separate test case that tests all email fields in the application? My issue is that if I add email validation to every spot that has an email address then the test case will be WAY too long.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brentpaine
Veteran

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: AMarie31]
      #497023 - 07/03/08 11:24 AM

No, this validation should be done on inputs or points of entry. I don't think you need to continuously check this, no.

Also, you might check with a developer, too, and see if email addresses are sanitized at all on entry into the system, is there a common function with handles the sanitizing of data? Is there a common function which validates the incoming email address? This will give you an idea of how extensive your teseting needs to be. It could be you only need to spot-check each area, or it could be you need to do heavy testing on each input.

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
--------------------

Edited by brentpaine (07/03/08 11:27 AM)

AMarie31

Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: brentpaine]
      #497028 - 07/03/08 11:45 AM

Hmmm.

You bring up some interesting points. First off, the registration piece is an existing app. Its in production and has been for years. The email address should really be fully tested. I dont really see a need in testing the email address at this point.

Im going to go through the rest of the requirements to see how often the email address is used. It may not even exist in other parts of the app.

In looking at some of the email address fields that are currently in production (in other apps), I would have to say that sometimes there is validation and sometimes not. You never know around here, lol. So no, its not a case where all email addys are sanitized.

Thanks for you input!

;-)

brentpaine
Veteran

#497032 - 07/03/08 12:17 PM

You know, when you first said it was in production, I was going to suggest just getting a copy of the production table filled with the email addresses. Then you can export those into a flat file and run them through some sort of automated validation routine, or scan them manuallly. I actually did something once where I grabbed every single character from the email address individually and created an array with unique values. Then I could print out the array and see what characters were in that field. If all were ok, then I just needed to run it against a format checker.

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
--------------------

AOQA

Reged: 04/12/07
Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: brentpaine]
      #497548 - 07/07/08 06:27 AM

If I were working on this, my approach would be to have an email address validation test case (with however many steps are required to test the field) and call that test case by reference in your main test procedure rather than outlining the steps for each and every field.

AMarie31

Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: AOQA]
      #498592 - 07/09/08 01:17 PM

Thank you AOQA. I was thinking that too. Perhaps I could say something like *for e-mail validation, please check run the EMailValidation-001 Test Case.

Corey_G
Veteran

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: Boston, MA
      #498599 - 07/09/08 01:31 PM

oh.. and for an easy way to validate email addresses, you can use this *very* simple regular expression:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/Mail-RFC822-Address.html

enjoy

--------------------
Corey Goldberg
Homepage: goldb.org
Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

brentpaine
Veteran

Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: Corey_G]
      #499152 - 07/11/08 06:13 AM

Nice link-drop Corey. This is actually a wicked little expression. Does it actually work? If so then I'd definitely suggest using it. Regular Expressions are a pain in the butt, so let someone else do them whenever possible.

There is also some functionality in .Net that allows you to ping an email server to see if it exists, so when all else fails

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
--------------------

Inder_P_Singh

Reged: 06/18/08
Loc: India
      #499359 - 07/12/08 02:50 AM

Will the email address be used to receive email from the application? The reason I ask this question is because in some applications, the email address is required for logging in and/ or display and only optionally to receive email. If this is the case, will you allow an email address like "j o h n s m i t h at e x a m p l e dot com" which might not meet the RFC specification but is perfectly readable to a human being?

Inder P Singh

--------------------
Inder P Singh

For more of my thoughts, visit the blog, Software Testing Space @ http://inderpsingh.blogspot.com/

swethaqa

Reged: 10/04/12
Re: Test Case Question about email addy validation [Re: Inder_P_Singh]
      #717546 - 10/05/12 02:25 AM

This might helps you

http://testingwebapplication.blogspot.in/2012/10/test-data-for-email-id.html

http://testingwebapplication.blogspot.in/2012/10/Test-cases-for-Email-id.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, swt88, AJ, Daniel_S 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums