Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Defect Tracking

Pages: 1
Mottia

Reged: 02/09/04
Defect severity level standard
      #468926 - 03/22/08 12:21 AM

Hi
I would like to know if there is any standard that define the Defect severity level
If this type of standard I would like to get it

BR,
Motti

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SantoshSS

Reged: 03/24/08
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: Mottia]
      #469088 - 03/24/08 03:59 AM

Hi,
I haven't read any such standards. Each company defines their own levels of severity.

Ainars
Advanced Member

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Riga, Latvia
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: SantoshSS]
      #469617 - 03/25/08 10:15 AM

There are a lot of such standards actually they are all vague however. For example IEEE appendices provide at least "sample" severity level definitions. Also most of the Defect Reporting System have build-in levels with definitions (except those that only have one value - priority).

brentpaine
Veteran

Reged: 03/09/07
Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: Ainars]
      #475147 - 04/14/08 10:37 AM

I think that it's probably important to develop a severity standard for your own company that all of management is comfortable with.

The difficulty with adhering to other people's standards is that if you don't have buy-in from management then they'll always want to circumvent your standard.

Sit down with the big wigs and present them something, but leave it open for their input.

We currently use a 10-point rating system, but the main issue with ours is that there is a lot left open to interpretation. I think that you might be able to get by with a 5-point system, actually. It's the type of system I would likely go to if I had a choice. I think I'd make it as 5-Cosmetic, 4-Minor, 3-normal, 2-Major, 1-Showstopper

So 5's will always get fixed last. 1's you will never ship with. 3 & 4 are issues that you need signoff on to ship, and 2s are issues that are minor, extremely limited cases, or that management wishes to defer. I think that pretty much sums up what you want to hit on a severity standard.

--------------------
Brent
--------------------
9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
--------------------

uptightkid

Reged: 04/20/08
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: brentpaine]
      #476850 - 04/20/08 11:03 PM

As has already been mentioned, there is no real standard for bug severity. Most organisations choose their own standard.

Vendors are very careful about the bug defintions becuase it may end up that they pay penalties (depending on the contract).

In my current organisation we assign each bug 1 of 4 defect severities...
1 - Show stopper
2 - High, no workaround
3 - Medium, with workaround
4 - Low, Cosmetic, Enhancement

In addidtion another person (BA, PM) assigns each bug a seperate priority level.

The irony being that a bug with a low severify can be very [stupid is as stupid does] where as an bug with high severity can be less [stupid is as stupid does].

I believe the purpose of sorting bugs into severity is much enhanced by considering priority also.

What use is a severity if it doesn't indicate what response should be taken.

farana

Reged: 06/27/02
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: uptightkid]
      #484762 - 05/20/08 08:34 PM

Description for Severities:

CRITICAL
Generally reserved for fatal errors that mean that testing cannot continue without fix, and/or the business is unable to use the application or IT is unable to operate the service. Must be fixed before go-live.

MAJOR
Used when there is a problem that means that testing can continue on the scenario using difficult workarounds, and/or significantly impacts the business' ability to use the application or IT's ability to operate the service. Must be fixed before go-live.

MEDIUM
Used when there is a problem that means that testing can continue with relatively straightforward workarounds, and/or has a minor impact on the business ability to use the application or IT's ability to operate the service. Business and IT jointly determine if must be fixed before go-live.

MINOR
Used to highlight minor Defects that do not impact the businesses ability to use the application or IT's ability to operate the service, (e.g., cosmetic).

ENHANCEMENT
Used for Defects that when reviewed by a subject expert (e.g., designer), it is determined the application functions as designed and the Defect is a change in scope (or the reported incident cannot be isolated or repeated).

--------------------
Fawad A Rana
QA Manager
OptumHealth-A Division of UnitedHealth Group

DSquared

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: farana]
      #484905 - 05/21/08 05:20 AM

Fawad - definitions good for your company only, right? Those definitions are definately NOT what is used at my company.

psl

Reged: 02/25/08
Loc: Hyderabad, Inida
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: DSquared]
      #485264 - 05/22/08 03:43 AM

The severity levels depend upon organizations individually and some times it depends on application under test.
Defect severity specifies how important it is and its impact on the Application under testing.

I can give you small example.
for e.g.:-
Login process is not accepting any values(something like the input fields are in disbale mode) (critical)

Login process accepting the valid credentials but the main page is not loading(major)

User able to login with invalid credentials and the main page is loading(minor)

I hope you will get some idea how you can categorize your defects

--------------------
-psl

Edited by psl (05/22/08 03:45 AM)

ravitechie

Reged: 05/25/08
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: psl]
      #488676 - 06/04/08 06:23 AM

Hi,

We are using the Bugzilla standard. Hope this will help you.

Severity Levels: (Bugzilla)
======================

Blocker - Blocks development and/or testing work
Critical - Crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak
Major - Major loss of function
Minor - Minor loss of function, or other problem where easy workaround is present
Trivial - Cosmetic problem like misspelled words or misaligned text.
Enhancement - Request for enhancement

Priority Definition (Bugzilla):
===============================

This field describes the importance and order in which a defect should be fixed. This field is utilized by the programmers/engineers to prioritize their work to be done. The available priorities range from P1 (most important) to P5 (least important.)

Thanks,

Ravi
Open up to Open Source

Edited by ravitechie (06/04/08 06:23 AM)

franlaw

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: ravitechie]
      #500986 - 07/17/08 11:21 PM

I am working on similar task and have the following suggestions:

High - Defect is critical to business process and feasible workaround is not available
Medium - Defect impacts the business process and feasible workaround is available.
Low - Defect has no impact to business process and workaround is not required.

Classification of more complicated scheme usually ended up in confusion and incorrectly recorded.

Regards,
Francis

DSquared

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Defect severity level standard [Re: franlaw]
      #501087 - 07/18/08 04:40 AM

One suggestion that I will make for any list such as this.

Always make the list an even number of items. If you don't, people will generally default to the middle selection since they don't want to commit toward either end of the spectrum.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Daniel_S, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums