Software Testing >> Functional Testing

Pages: 1
RajivWalia

Reged: 03/14/06
Loc: Chandigarh
V model - Waterfall Model
      #346903 - 12/12/06 10:50 PM

Hi Friends,
I am putting up with one more confused question. I have divided this question in four parts. I hope like always your comments will clear all my confusions this time also.

question1. Difference between Waterfall model and V model.

question2. Relation between SDLC and V model.

question3. Relation between V model and parallel testing.

question4. Why V model is not included in SDLC models?

Waiting for positive replies.
Kind Regards
Rimpy

--------------------
Thanks,
Rajiv Walia
http://puretest.blogspot.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Infotekie

Reged: 04/23/06
Loc: HYD
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: RajivWalia]
      #346915 - 12/13/06 01:09 AM

I think it need to start with knowing the difference between SDLC and STLC

Infotekie

Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: Infotekie]
      #346931 - 12/13/06 01:55 AM

Answer 1: Waterfall model and V model, both are SDLC models and there is lot of info to distinguish, like waterfall believes in freezing of its phases before getting into next phase and V enables testing from initial stage i.e., right from requirement collection.

Answer 2: V-model itself is a type of SDLC like other models of Prototype, Spiral etc

Answer 3: Testing two versions of the application at a time is parallel testing.

Answer 4: Check answer 2 and the Qs 2 & 4 are contradictory

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
      #346968 - 12/13/06 04:32 AM

Quote:

...Answer 1: Waterfall model and V model, both are SDLC models and there is lot of info to distinguish, like waterfall believes in freezing of its phases before getting into next phase and V enables testing from initial stage i.e., right from requirement collection.

Answer 2: V-model itself is a type of SDLC like other models of Prototype, Spiral etc

1. Is somehwat untrue. "Waterfall" does not "believe" in freezing. Waterfall believes in the same thing as Spiral, since Spiral evolved from Waterfall as a refinement in clarity.

2. See above 1. (my 1.)

Rimpy,
There is enough discussion information about your question here to fill several books! I hereby unlock the key to your own resourcefulness and unleash you on the search engine as well as the "Quality Methodologies" and "Software Process Improvement" forums about one fourth of the page donw the list of forums on the main page. You were assisted here:
http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=346244&Main=346230#Post346244
... with some reference material that should also be of benefit in your growing need to do some research. Good luck with that!

Thanks!

Infotekie

Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: JakeBrake]
      #347326 - 12/14/06 05:20 AM

Hi, somehwat i have tried to clarify instead...

freezing means the model proposes/insists/suggests complete 'perfection' of a phase before getting into next phase, which is believed to be one of main disadvantages in this model.

the question1 is "Difference between Waterfall model and V model" not something like waterfall Vs/and/or spiral. rise of sprial from waterfall for "refinement"/fine-tuning/sophistication is next for the questioner to know with.

JakeBrake

#347330 - 12/14/06 05:27 AM

Quote:

...freezing means the model proposes/insists/suggests complete 'perfection' of a phase before getting into next phase, which is believed to be one of main disadvantages in this model.

Key word = "believed"
Many people believe that B Spears can sing!

The waterfall is so maligned and misunderstood, it does not pay to even consider it in the point you are trying to make! Clearly you are one of the recipients of waterfall misinformation!

lynneM - RIP

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: FL, USA
      #347332 - 12/14/06 05:29 AM

In my world "freezing" means that changes cannot be made unless they go through a change control process and cost and time impact to a project is agreed to by the relevant parties.

"Freezing" is usually an aspect of the SDLC rather than a model. The SDLC will reflect a the model that it is based on and is more than likely modified to suite the company using and to contain controls and processes that will lead to the successful completion of the project.

--------------------
Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Rich W.
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: lynneM - RIP]
      #347478 - 12/14/06 01:04 PM

Rimpy, doesn't the source of your questions have a text area where you can read the answers for yourself. All of your posts are very well targeted questions, for not knowing anything you sure can write questions. A little too good I would say.

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

RajivWalia

Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: Rich W.]
      #347777 - 12/16/06 03:02 AM

HI
Thanks for your positive replies
But still I am not clear about V model..
can anyone tell me about V model.

Thank you

--------------------
Thanks,
Rajiv Walia

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
      #347781 - 12/16/06 04:34 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v+model

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

jyothireddy

Reged: 12/13/06
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #348721 - 12/20/06 10:16 PM

Waterfall Model.
1.Waterfall modelis a sequentail model where one should move to next phase only when its preceeding pahse is completed and there is no jumping back or forth.
Eg: program requirements should be set perfectly before design is started, otherwise work put into a design based on incorrect requirements is wasted.
2.This method save time and effort and also much useful in econimic terms also,since required specifications will be done in one time. This model produces "high reliable system".
3.Waterfall model is rated as poor, beacuse of the belief that it is impossible to get one phase of software product should be perfected before moving to the next phase.
Eg:clients may not aware of exact requirements they want untill they see a working prototype, which opposes the waterfall model.

V-Model.
1.It is developed to regulate software development process within the German Federal Administration.
2.The left tail of "V" represents 'specifications phase', the right tail of "V" represents 'testing phase', the bottom of the "V" where tails meet represents 'development phase'.

JakeBrake

Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: jyothireddy]
      #348764 - 12/21/06 03:46 AM

Quote:

Jyothi: 1.Waterfall modelis a sequentail model where one should move to next phase only when its preceeding pahse is completed and there is no jumping back or forth.

This is just not true. Actually, none of it is true. What are your sources? Perhaps I can help you get the sources changed if they are within your sphere of influence. The waterfall is no more sequential than any other. The waterfall is the parent of the Spiral.
Quote:

Jyothi: ...Eg: program requirements should be set perfectly before design is started, otherwise work put into a design based on incorrect requirements is wasted.

This is another blatant untruth. Perhaps you could read MIL-STD-483. In it you will see the recommended processes/practices for handling changing requirements throughout the development life-cycle.
Quote:

Jyothi: ...2.This method save time and effort and also much useful in econimic terms also,since required specifications will be done in one time. This model produces "high reliable system".

As one who lived and breathed this model for many years, I would like to say that you are, in part correct. If it was today perceived as saving time, effort and consequently - money, it would be the silver bullet, would it not? "Highly reliable"??? That may have been the intent. Reality as with all other models is not so.
Quote:

Jyothi: ...3.Waterfall model is rated as poor, beacuse of the belief that it is impossible to get one phase of software product should be perfected before moving to the next phase.
Eg:clients may not aware of exact requirements they want untill they see a working prototype, which opposes the waterfall model.

It is rated as "poor" only because of people perceptions and the inabilitiy to read and follow instructions. You can see that same issue here all over these forums! Clients are very aware of the requirements since they are the people usually responding to the requirement-laden Request-For-Proposal (RFP)! As with all requirements, it is expected that requirements will be refined throughout the development life-cycle. Did you know that in many "waterfall" projects (not only waterfall), code is developed and tested before a contract is awarded and the project is kicked off? That very theme is propagated throughout a waterfall as in...
Decompose the critical requirements, develop/debug and test the code. Do not halt until all else catches up to some fictitious process freeze point! That is not to say code freezes do not occur. They do indeed. But the sdlc does not come to a grinding halt across the board.

wooSj

Reged: 04/22/11
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: JakeBrake]
      #669069 - 04/22/11 03:28 AM

Here you can find the difference between the V model and the waterfall model. http://www.waterfall-model.com Also the pro's and con's.

RajivWalia

Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: wooSj]
      #669898 - 04/29/11 11:07 PM

After 2006, I have seen my question on this forum today. Its a great feeling to see my post after a long time with valuable comments to my question. I also wanted to share following link which can give you guys details about different Testing Models:

http://puretest.blogspot.com/2009/11/scrum-development-process-scrum-is.html

--------------------
Thanks,
Rajiv Walia

byronTest

Reged: 02/13/09
      #670545 - 05/05/11 12:01 PM

All I want to know is did you pass the interview?

mrmverma

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: India
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: byronTest]
      #671437 - 05/14/11 08:18 PM

In waterfall model the defect were found very late in the development life cycle as test team was not involved from the beginning of the project.

To overcome this constraint V-Model came into picture as in v-model testing begins very early in the SDLC cycle i.e. from the requirements phase itself.

To read more visit:
V model

--------------------
Manish Verma
www.softwaretestingmentor.com

SQAExpert2012

Reged: 10/10/12
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: mrmverma]
      #717825 - 10/10/12 07:33 AM

1. In V model the testing starts immediately as soon as the project initiated. So as soon as the requirements are available you (QA) work with designers and BAs to find static defects. In very early phase of the development you are finding gaps between requirement and design which could be very costly later on.

2. In Macro/micro design phase you are doing test case development and get them aligned with the development approach.

3. After coding you are starting the IT, SIT etc.

So the whole idea is starting from the beginning for each phase of the SDLC you have a testing phase associated with.

Hope this helps
Raj

--------------------
What is the prospect of Software Testing Career?

AkashPatel

Reged: 09/16/12
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: SQAExpert2012]
      #717889 - 10/11/12 05:49 AM

i think you need to read basic of the software testing
so, keep read this:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

first of all in this field we know about basics then keep read this.

AkashPatel

Reged: 09/16/12
Re: V model - Waterfall Model [Re: AkashPatel]
      #717890 - 10/11/12 05:54 AM

The five steps outlined are :
Analysethe requirements of the project and decide what it is supposed to do
Designa solution to meet these requirements
Implement the design into a working product
Verify the finished product against the design (and requirements)
Maintain the project as necessary

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  blueinatl, AJ, Jeanj, corklad, martinh, brentpaine 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 35840

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums